This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT Corps de Ballet

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:42 AM

My eyes were always drawn to Reyes in the big 18th century ballets--perhaps because she is quite short and generally in the front of the corps--but I think it was something more. She lit up those "milling about the village" scenes. Her pantomime reached the dress circle, anyway.

Jackie Reyes has been one of my favorite dancers at ABT for the last few years. (I wouldn't call her short, btw. She's medium height.) She has a sparkle and really knows her stuff - a solid asset to the corps, technically and artistically.

I loved when she got some demi-solo parts, few and far-between though they were. She has beautifully arched feet, long legs and sharp attack. I agree with you totally about her "lighting" up so many group scenes. I am sorry that she will not be dancing with ABT next time I see them. I always looked forward to watching her, knowing she would always be there!

Anne Milewski is also a favorite corps member. Such a lovely, technically wonderful, dancer. I'll miss her, too.

[size="1"]totally off-topic note to self: this turned out to be my 808th post on 808 - August 8th! (also my dear daughter's birthday)[/size]

Edited by Marga, 08 August 2010 - 01:44 AM.

#17 Andres

Andres

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

I too want to add my regrets at not being able to see Jackie Reyes at ABT anymore. She always captured the essence of the character whether a member of the corps or a brief solo appearance. She will be missed.

#18 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:21 AM

I wouldn't call Jackie Reyes "fat" nor exactly short either. However, she has a rounder build with broader hips and shorter torso than many of the other ballerinas in the corps. So she has to stay quite thin and in shape to look good in tutu roles - just put on a few pounds and she can look "fat". I saw her leave the building after a performance and she looked a normal weight - just healthy. However, I noticed that onstage she not only looked a bit plumpish but also seemed out of shape. The out of shape may be the reason she isn't staying on.

Jackie Reyes has one of those bodies that is not a classic ballerina physique - so she has to work harder to keep in shape and in form. The very tall, large curvy Veronika Part has the same problem but with a very different physicality. In previous decades many ballerinas didn't have classic ballerina bodies but were great dancers. Now all you see is petite, small boned, long-limbed girls with long necks, arms and legs and slim small torsos. You wonder about who is being weeded out on the school level. What they might have become had the appropriate ballerina physical "type" not become so restrictive.

I keep thinking about Elisabeth Platel who was rejected from the POB school for being too tall. She went on to dance successfully for other French regional companies and then was invited back.

#19 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

I keep thinking about Elisabeth Platel who was rejected from the POB school for being too tall. She went on to dance successfully for other French regional companies and then was invited back.

I believe that after studying at the Conservatoire Platel did her final year at the POB school and went straight into the POB corps at age of 17. Top Conservatoire grads Isabelle Gu[size="4"]érin, [/size]Clairemarie Osta and Isabelle Ciaravola had similar stories.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):