This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ROMEO AND JULIETAshton's ballet in a chamber version

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

THE DANCING TIMES, Aug. issue, reports that: “The Peter Schaufuss Ballet will dance a chamber version of Sir Frederick Ashton’s 'Romeo and Juliet' this autumn at venues across Denmark.”
And adds: “The new production has its premiere at the Aarhus Musik Teater, Denmark on September 24. The tour continues until October 30. See schaufuss.com for details.”
A quick look at the website offers no substantial details so far as I could tell. That is no information on just who is overseeing this “chamber version” and who is responsible for the designs, etc.
Any information from any quarter would be greatly appreciated.

coincidentally this somewhat beaten-up cover of a copy of THE SATURDAY REVIEW shows this photo, which i don't recall seeing before, from the original staging.

Attached Files

#2 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,314 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:23 PM

That's a great photo of Henning Kronstam :flowers:

#3 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:57 AM

From the Aarhus theatre's site, it appears that Schaufuss is doing a modern-dress version - there are some photos but whether they're of the actual production I don't know. The text states very clearly that Schaufuss owns the rights to the ballet so I assume he's setting it himself - if not, who?

#4 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:30 AM

thanks, Jane.
a number of correspondents have noted that Schaufuss owns the ballet's rights.
i had forgotten that.
i guess that answers many questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):