This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yaroslav Danilovich Sekh

a recent Arts Desk article, "Reconstructing Ballet's Past II: Master restorer Sergei Vikharev

Thursday, 22 July 2010 02:24 Written by Ismene Brown," includes a Q&A Vikharev about notations and stagings in which he makes mention of Fokine as follows:

" Q: How many reconstructions have you done now?

A: Beauty, Bayadère, Coppélia, Flore, Petrushka, Carnaval. Fokine wrote that one down in Russian words and I had to decode those words, not notation."

I've never been quite clear as to how the Fokine works that lived in Soviet Russia were staged and maintained.

A most unfamiliar-looking version of Fokine's PETROUCHKA was shown by the Bolshoi Ballet in NYC in 1990.

the attached scan of Yaroslav Sekh as Petrouchka is dated 1965 - i cannot state for certain that this is from a would-be staging of Fokine's ballet, or if there is a link between this photo card and ballet as shown in 25 years hence in NYC.

a Russian reference book i have notes that Stravinsky's PETROUCHKA entered the Bolshoi Ballet repertory in 1921 in a staging by Ryabstev, which I suppose might be this one in which Sekh is pictured.

post-848-091874200 1280281135_thumb.jpg