This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Apollo to return for 2011 Spring Season

In the 13 years that I've been going to NYCB there has been only three males dancers who have danced the classic role of Apollo: Peter Boal, Nikolaj Hubbe and Nilas Martins. All three men are now retired. Of the men currently dancing with City Ballet, who will be the chosen new Apollo? This is almost an historic moment. The torch will be pass onto the next generation. Any educated guesses or thoughts??

My first thought would be what I regard as the obvious: Ask la Cour. He's tall, he's blond...he very much takes in the idea of the Adonis...which is something that Peter Martins (who definitely was an Adonis when he performed the role) seems to only that's the type of dancer who should play the role. But at the moment Ask la Cour - at least for me - is the only dancer who could fit that characteristic in terms of physical appearance and he can't be the only performer who will dance the role. I mean I would hope not.

Apollo goes beyond just looks. The role requires dignity and elegance; strength and power; authority yet vulnerability; child-like wonder before maturing into wise adulthood. This is a complex role and while I think Ask la Cour can possess all those qualities - if properly coached - I think there are others who could bring those elements to Apollo as well.

Jared Angle and Craig Hall come straight to my mind. Whenever on stage they carry themselves with dignity and elegance. And I'm sure they could easily demonstrate all the other qualities I've mentioned as well...if properly coached. Also they're wonderful partners and whoever dance Apollo will definitely need to be an brilliant partner.

Which brings me to the muses...especially Terpsichore. In later years it seems that only Wendy Whalen and Yvonne Borre own that role. I'm sure others have danced it but both Borre and Whelan always seems to be first choice. But Borre is now gone and Whalen can't - or at least shouldn't - dance every performance. We may not just be getting a new Apollo come spring but perhaps a new Terpsichore, a new Polyhymnia and a new Calliope.

Any thoughts on who those ladies could be?

I think Gonzalo Garcia may have performed the role of Apollo at SFB. I'm guessing he will be cast. Also, I think Kowrowski would be a good choice for the lead. I suspect Mearns will be in the mix too. She is conquering every important role in the rep. I could see Veyette as Apollo.

I think Gonzalo Garcia may have performed the role of Apollo at SFB. I'm guessing he will be cast. Also, I think Kowrowski would be a good choice for the lead. I suspect Mearns will be in the mix too. She is conquering every important role in the rep. I could see Veyette as Apollo.

Yes, Gonzalo did perform Apollo while he was at SFB. I need to look back to see if he was who I saw - although admittedly at the time (2004) my friend and I did not enjoy Apollo. However, I would now like to see it again and hopefully SFB will bring it back in the next few years.

I thought of Finlay, too, mimsyb. He certainly fits the mold of the more recent Apollos.

I'm thinking, too, of Tyler Angle (more charismatic than Jared) and Garcia.

Craig Hall is an interesting candidate, and I have no doubt he can deliver the goods both technically and theatrically, but I wonder whether the tattoo on his chest might be too distracting. Call me stuffy and old-fashioned if you like, but if I were casting the ballet, that detail would be an instant, automatic disqualifier.

I for one would like to see NYCB get out of its golden blond god rut when it casts Apollo. (Unless Igor Zelensky could be persuaded to come back. Sigh. His Apollo—like Hübbe's—was borderline feral; I loved it.) There are plenty of not blonds who could be very interesting Apollos. Others have already mentioned Craig Hall and Gonzalo Garcia. Sean Suozzi had a bang-up spring season and might look good in the role, too. My fantasy program is three Apollos in a row, each with a wildly different cast.

Janie Taylor as Terpsichore, just to see what she'd do with it. I'm dying of curiosity based on her recent ladies-and-gentlemen-please-fasten-your-seatbelts performances in "La Valse," "Davidsbündlertänze," and "Rubies." Georgina Pazcougin as Calliope.

I think Robert Fairchild, with some good coaching, might be a fine Apollo. I think coaching might be key. I saw Boal do it with the Suzanne Farrell company and was amazed.

On the women's side, I'd like to see Abi Stafford. She's not my favorite in some things, but I love her in leotard ballets. I think she would bring a beautiful, straight forward quality to the ballet. Actually, on the women's side I can see many casts working well.

Mainly, I hope to see the ballet presented well. A number of years ago I saw NYCB do it in such a way that looked like - "now I do this step, now I do that step." It has gotten better than that in recent history (not sure why). Let's not go back.

I think Kowrowski would be a good choice for the lead.

Kowroski has danced Terpsichore.

Craig Hall is an interesting candidate, and I have no doubt he can deliver the goods both technically and theatrically, but I wonder whether the tattoo on his chest might be too distracting. Call me stuffy and old-fashioned if you like, but if I were casting the ballet, that detail would be an instant, automatic disqualifier.

Same here. A Greek god with a tattoo??

I think Kowrowski would be a good choice for the lead.

Kowroski has danced Terpsichore.

Same here. A Greek god with a tattoo??

Judging from the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the vases on display in the Met's Greek and Roman wing, those Greek gods were a pretty rowdy bunch. :wink:

Yes, Gonzalo did perform Apollo while he was at SFB.

Well I'm just outa school

Like I'm real real cool

Gotta dance like a fool

Got the message that I gotta be

A wild one

Ooh yeah I'm a wild one

I too hope SFB will bring it back, although I'll still miss Garcia.

Judging from the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the vases on display in the Met's Greek and Roman wing, those Greek gods were a pretty rowdy bunch. :wink:

They were an irascible bunch, but they weren't from the street, and especially not in Stravinsky's score.

Boo that's what that have body make-up. LOL. He may sweat it off by the end of the performance...but if he's performance is brilliant...will it really matter?

They could use that Light Egyptain make-up Max Factor created for Lena Horne back in the 1940's when she started making movies. They wanted to "darken" her up. Of course Ms. Horne never used it. Instead they painted all over Ava Gardner for the 1951 film version of "Show Boat" because MGM refused to give the role of Julie to Ms. Horne because the idea of a real black woman being married to a white man on screen was a major no-no in those years.

I saw Gonzalo Garcia twice in the same weekend (2/4 April 2004) as "Apollo" with SFB, and the cast was the same both times:

Terpsichore: Yuan Yan Tan

Polyhymnia: Vanessa Zahrorian

Calliope: Sarah van Patten

My selective memory had forgotten that Hubbe guested as Apollo later that season with Ballet Arizona -- Astrit Zejnati was the Apollo in the alternate cast -- and it was nice to see that when Andersen produced it in 2009, he cast a brilliant young dancer, Roman Zavarov, who is medium height, dark-haired, and lithe. (But I digress...)

Boo that's what that have body make-up. LOL. He may sweat it off by the end of the performance...but if he's performance is brilliant...will it really matter?
I have no problem, no problem at all with body make-up, as long as it doesn't end up dirtying the partner's (or in this case the partners') costume/s. Don't know what's worse, the tattoo or three muses dressed in white and tan. :o

There's certainly nothing that says Apollo must be fair-haired or -skinned. Those things are controlled by an artistic director's preferences for appearance.

While the company was still back at City Center, the main Apollo settled on Jacques d'Amboise. When they got to Lincoln Center, a "short cast" headed by Edward Villella was added.There's footage around of André Eglevsky, dressed in gold lamé and a gold laurel wreath, dancing a rather intense reading of the choreography. He definitely wasn't street, but could have been hanging around backstage at the theater, which is a pretty tough neigborhood!

When NYCB did Apollo in Paris in 2008 the cast was Sebastien Marcovici, Tess Reichlen as Calliope and Sara Mearns as Polyhymnia. Agnes Letestu from POB was Terpsichore.

I think the above lineup, with the addition of Kowroski as Terpsichore, would be just fine. Among the corps members, I think Chase Finlay (in my mind, the most talented of the male newcomers) would be superb and I wonder how Justin Peck might handle Apollo?

Not to belabor the tattoo issue, but as someone who regards ink as appropriate only for sailors and motorcycle gang members, I am inclined to disqualify those with tattoos from any role in which the blemish can be seen or cannot be masked. To be fair, however, if the tattoo is sufficiently unobtrusive not to be a distraction (Marcovici's sophomoric teardrops) then I suppose the dancer could perform a role in which it is visible. But I don't want Apollo prancing around with "Momma didn't love me" splashed across his chest.

I never would have thought as Marcovici as a candidate for Apollo. Interesting. We have had the privilege of seeing two remarkable Apollo's during the past decade (Boal and Hubbe). Whoever is cast will have a tough act to follow.

Either Andrew Veyette has a tattoo on his ribcage or the costuming for "the lady with the little dog" is more idiotic than I realized. I still think he'd make an arresting Apollo; he'd be on my list along with LaCour, Marcovici, Hall, and yes yes yes Justin Peck.

From this picture http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4855809&id=510105185&l=d225d88f27 it looks like the muses were Maria Kowroski, Janie Taylor and ??

I don't think the blonde is Janie Taylor. That looks like T. Reichlin next to Maria.

Here is the casting according to xpatathens.com: Sébastien Marcovici, Maria Kowroski, Jennie Somogyi, Janie Taylor.

I'm not so sure about Marcovici, but I'd love to see that cast of muses at NYCB.