This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

West Australian Ballet Don Quixote

I'm a bit slow off the mark with this, but I must make a comment on the West Australian Ballet's magnificent performance on May 11. I'm new to ballet, but in my great enthusiasm for Don Quixote, I have collected five full DVD versions, with three substantial excerpts to boot. I went along to watch the WAB with trepidation, and even as I sat there waiting for them to begin, I had Nina Ananiashvili and the Perm Ballet firmly fixed in my mind's eye, albeit with no malicious intent. From the very start, Nina et al were most satisfyingly replaced by the WAB's wonderful set, and thereafter by almost every aspect of the production and performance. I didn't sit back to enjoy what followed, but went forward, craning my neck, and cursing myself for not booking a seat in the stalls. I'm not able to comment on technicalities, but I can confidently comment on the overall feel of what I saw, and the effect it had on me. The performance was magnificent and memorable. Perth might be the world's most isolated city, but on May 11, the WAB made me, and no doubt many others present who know a good DQ when they see one, all feel much closer to the world's great cultural centres. Bravo, WAB!

... I can confidently comment on the overall feel of what I saw, and the effect it had on me. The performance was magnificent and memorable.

:thumbsup: Isn't that the most important aspect of any performance?

Perth might be the world's most isolated city, but on May 11, the WAB made me, and no doubt many others present who know a good DQ when they see one, all feel much closer to the world's great cultural centres.

One of the marvels of our age is that, if it has an internet connection, no place is completely isolated. WAB's DQ may have helped the Perth audience feel less isolated, and your report, in the opposite way, made many of us feel less isolated from Perth. Thank you, hunterman!