This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

One More Retiree

I should say it's official, based on the listing of principals in the subscription brochure I received yesterday. Nilas Martins' name was not among the principal dancers listed for 2010-11. Amid the honoring of retirees, bouquets at Saratoga, etc., his name is omitted. It's as if he has become a nonperson.

He is still listed on the website, whereas the other retirees are not.

It's official now. Nilas is gone from NYCB. There is a brief mention of it in the NY Times, which states that Nilas decided to leave because he was accepted into an arts management program run by the Kennedy Center. Alas, we will now be deprived of his scintillating performances.

He is still listed on the website, whereas the other retirees are not.

It's official now. Nilas is gone from NYCB. There is a brief mention of it in the NY Times, which states that Nilas decided to leave because he was accepted into an arts management program run by the Kennedy Center. Alas, we will now be deprived of his scintillating performances.

I find it very odd (and sad) that NYCB chose not to officially announce Nilas' retirement. He deserves at least that.

From the description in the NYT, it sounds like it all happened rather quickly, when Martins was accepted into the DeVos Institute of Arts Management at the Kennedy Center.

Perhaps he preferred it this way. He was out for knee surgery and not able to dance lately. Not everyone cares to have a gala/sendoff and I am sure the management of the company would not do anything against his wishes.

It is a new direction for him and I hope he'll be happy in Washington......

Given that most of the press regarding his performances in recent years has been mixed to negative, I'm guessing that a formal farewell gala performance would have merely provided yet another opportunity for the press to bash him.

I'm glad to hear he's been accepted into the arts management program. I hope he will have a successful new career. It's very difficult to be the son of a famous father.

Yes, it is. Privilege, yes, but also many expectations and assumptions to deal with. Best of luck to him in his new endeavor.

Also note the departure of Glenn Keenan from the company roster. In the corps since when, 1999 or so?

Finally, also note that none of last year's crop of apprentices - Lauren Lovette, Sarah Vilwock, Stephanie Chrosniak, Shoshanna Rosenfeld, et al. - have been listed in the corps for the September season. Maybe the collective bargaining agreement says that the '09 apprentices don't have to be offered contacts yet, before Nutcracker season; but under the old routine the apprentices would have had to be sorted out before the next "year" commenced in November. They are a good group, these women; the entire lot of them were the corps de ballet in La Source in the spring and were not the worst corps de ballet we saw. MP