This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Director's Choice: News, Casting, Reviews

Here is the abridged press release for PNB's opening program of the 2010-2011 season, which features two company premieres, "Six Dances" and "Glass Pieces", and for which tickets go on sale next Monday, 19 July:

PACIFIC NORTHWEST BALLET PRESENTS

DIRECTOR'S CHOICE

Featuring works by

NACHO DUATO – JIRI KYLIAN – JEROME ROBBINS

Tickets go on sale Monday, July 19

September 24-October 3, 2010

Marion Oliver McCaw Hall

321 Mercer Street, Seattle Center

Seattle, WA 98109

September 24-25 at 7:30 pm

September 25 at 2:00 pm

September 30 / October 1-2 at 7:30 pm

October 3 at 1:00 pm

SEATTLE, WA — Pacific Northwest Ballet Artistic Director Peter Boal’s annual DIRECTOR’S CHOICE program highlights the addition of new works to the company repertory and the work of great choreographers of our time. The 2010-2011 season-opening DIRECTOR’S CHOICE program features the PNB premieres of master choreographers Jiri Kylian’s Six Dances, and Jerome Robbins’ Glass Pieces, the return of Nacho Duato’s Jardí Tancat, and a reprise of last season’s premiere, Kylian’s, Petite Mort. DIRECTOR’S CHOICE runs September 24 through October 3 at Seattle Center’s Marion Oliver McCaw Hall. Tickets start at $27 and may be purchased by calling 206.441.2424, online at www.pnb.org, or in person at the PNB Box Office at 301 Mercer St.

The line-up for DIRECTOR’S CHOICE will include:

Petite Mort

Music: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Choreography: Jiri Kylian

Staging: Roslyn Anderson

Six DancesPNB Premiere

Music: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Choreography: Jiri Kylian

Staging: Roslyn Anderson

Jardí Tancat

Music: María del Mar Bonet

Choreography: Nacho Duato

Staging: Hilde Koch

Glass PiecesPNB Premiere

Music: Philip Glass

Choreography: Jerome Robbins

Staging: Jean-Pierre Frohlich

TICKET INFORMATION:

Tickets ($27-$165) go on sale Monday, July 19. (Money-saving season subscriptions starting at $162 are currently available.)

Box Office Phone: 206.441.2424 (Mon.-Fri. 9am–6pm; Sat. 10am–5pm)

Box Office Location: 301 Mercer Street, Seattle (Mon.-Fri. 10am–6pm; Sat. 10am–5pm)

PNB Online: www.pnb.org (24 hours a day, seven days a week)

Tickets are also available 90 minutes prior to each performance at McCaw Hall, located at 321 Mercer Street, subject to availability.

. . . tickets go on sale next Monday, 19 July . . .

Box Office Location: 301 Mercer Street, Seattle (Mon.-Fri. 10am–6pm; Sat. 10am–5pm)

PNB Online: www.pnb.org (24 hours a day, seven days a week)

Does anyone know how early the on-line ticket sales start on July 19? Do they use the kind of seat-selection map you find now at the Met, OCPAC, and NYCB on-line sales, so you can see exactly what's available?

I'm looking at ways to go see their production of Glass Pieces. One unknown at this point is what kind of single performance tickets will be available for their opening night, given that they consolidated the Thursday and Friday opening week subscriptions. I haven't seen any news about how subscription sales are going or how that consolidation worked out.

Online tickets will be available on the 19th. Since you want to see "Glass Pieces", which is part of the Director's Choice program, you'll be able to order from this page:

http://www.pnb.org/Season/10-11/DirectorsChoice/

Where it says "On sale Jul 19", there will be buttons to purchase starting next Monday.

You'll be able to choose your own seats from the seat map.

With a triple bill, I don't think you'll have a problem getting tickets. Where do you generally like to sit? How much is center important to you?

Thanks Helene for the heads up.

I love this teaser. I hadn't realized how much I was missing ballet already (you spoiled NYC people :wink: don't know what it's like to have just a single season......like skiers, we in Seattle spend most of our time pinning away waiting for "snow").

I can't believe it, but I've watched this 1+ minute video some 5 times today alone. It even brought tears to my eyes.

This <1 minute video introduces "Sechs Tanze" and "Glass Pieces", the new company premieres, but is cut so fast, it's hard to get the ID's:

It opens with Ezra Thompson (?), Chalnessa Eames, James Moore, Josh Spell, and I'm pretty sure Kylee Kitchens in the Kylian. In the section where the women shake back and forth into second position plie, Brittany Reid is practicing in the background with maybe Andrew Bartee, and possibly it's Emma Love to her left practicing with Barry Kerollis. There's a bouncing on the floor part where the woman in black may be Rachel Foster. Jerome Tisserand is holding his face just before it switches to "Glass Pieces" (and in the still for the video above). There's a nice shot of Carla Korbes, then Jeff Stanton partnering, it looks like Ariana Lallone, and then Batkhurel Bold partnering Korbes. Eames, with the foot stomp, and Spell are in the final shots.

Depending on how many casts get on stage, this program, which also includes "Petite Mort" (six couples) and "Jardi Tancat" is going to spread it around, and there are a lot of opportunities in it.

This <1 minute video introduces "Sechs Tanze" and "Glass Pieces", the new company premieres, but is cut so fast, it's hard to get the ID's

Oh I don't know -- you seem to have tagged a big list!

And what in the world does it mean when they say that Glass Pieces isn't for the faint hearted? It's a beautiful work with a big cast to minimalist music -- how is that going to make me pass out?

She's great, I agree, but it's a borrowed clip from Houston Ballet, there's no attribution, and I don't know the company well enough to recognize the dancers :(

Edited to add: I just searched "Myrtha" in the Houston Chronicle, and only one result came up, not ballet-related. Grrrr.

Here's the link to the "Director's Choice" video:

I'm not sure of all of the ID's, but here's a shot; the music is Mozart (23rd Piano Concerto) used in "Petite Mort":

Petite Mort: Ariana Lallone and Batkhurel Bold

Jardi Tancat: Mara Vinson? and Batkhurel Bold

Petite Mort: Chalnessa Eames

Jardi Tancat: Carrie Imler (red) and Mara Vinson? (violet)

Petite Mort: Lucien Postlewaite (center) and Karel Cruz (right)

Petite Mort: Benjamin Griffiths (with sword)

Jardi Tancat: Carrie Imler and Olivier Wevers

Petite Mort: Lucien Postlewaite and Kaori Nakamura

The precedent was set in the "Dance in America" series of Balanchine ballets, where a piece of music for one of the ballets accompanied the excerpts from all ballets in the intro and another piece in the closing credits.

PNB uses the Mozart from "Sechs Tanze" for the "Sechs Tanze"/"Glass Pieces" video, more Mozart from "Petite Mort" for the "Director's Choice" video, and the Martynov from "Afternoon Ball" for the "Season's Preview" video.

Here's "Glass Pieces" (with Glass' music):

This one is really hard for me to parse -- lots of overheads and fast cutting.

After the corps shots, there are two couples, Rachel Foster (in black) with Benjamin Griffiths, and Sarah Orza (in grey leotard) with James Moore. There's a longish part (for this length video) of Carla Korbes and Batkhurel Bold. I think I spotted Maria Chapman in black with Jeffrey Stanton, and I hope, hope, hope this isn't wishful thinking, and she's back from last season's foot injury. Later Chalnessa Eames in a blue leotard is lifted by maybe Jerome Tisserand in a blue shirt that matches her leotard and blue pants with white stripes.

I'm fascinated with the way different groups use video, especially online stuff, to market themselves, but I don't always expect the material to really do the work justice. This, however, was an excellent little video essay of/about Glass Pieces -- big congratulations to whoever shot and edited this!

It was very interesting to me to hear Josh talk about Chalnessa Eames's sense of humor. I love the way Chalnessa dances, and for my money she has no peer at PNB when it comes to female character parts and especially anything with humor in it. He says it's just part of her natural personality......just as I've always thought: after all, how could it be any other way? She's such a natural comic on stage. My day is always brightened when I see her dance. In anything more modern she is tops too.....as she will no doubt be in Sechs Tanze (even without taking the humor into account).

I was thrilled to see my heroine Carrie Imler rehearsing a humorous part too. Carrie's unmatched technique plus her ability to act, including with humor, will be a joy to see. (I'll never forget her as a Tharp stomper).

P.S. I noted that Josh says Chalnessa's first name with a short e rather than the long e I have always used. Good to know. (Plus it seems she has the nickname of "Challa".)

That's Rachel Foster (in black).

The casting is up for Week 1:

Friday, 24 September 7:30pm

Petite Mort

Sarah Ricard Orza/Seth Orza

Chalnessa Eames/Benjamin Griffiths

Lesley Rausch/Jerome Tisserand

Rachel Foster/Lucien Postlewaite

Ariana Lallone/Batkhurel Bold

Lindsi Dec/Karel Cruz

Sechs Tänze (Six Dances)

Carrie Imler

Chalnessa Eames

Rachel Foster

Kylee Kitchens

James Moore

Josh Spell

William Lin-Yee

Andrew Bartee

Jardí Tancat

Ariana Lallone

Jeffrey Stanton

Rachel Foster

Batkhurel Bold

Carrie Imler

Olivier Wevers

Glass Pieces

Rubric

Lindsi Dec

Seth Orza

Lesley Rausch

Lucien Postlewaite

Chalnessa Eames

Jerome Tisserand

Facades

Carla Körbes

Batkhurel Bold

Saturday, 25 September 2:00pm

Petite Mort

Carrie Imler/Kiyon Gaines

Amanda Clark/James Moore

Maria Chapman/William Lin-Yee

Rachel Foster/Lucien Postlewaite

Laura Gilbreath/Olivier Wevers

Carla Körbes/Jeffrey Stanton

Sechs Tänze (Six Dances)

Margaret Mullin

Sarah Ricard Orza

Abby Relic

Brittany Reid

Benjamin Griffiths

Jerome Tisserand

Kiyon Gaines

Ezra Thomson

Jardí Tancat

Carla Körbes

Seth Orza

Lesley Rausch

Lucien Postlewaite

Chalnessa Eames

Kiyon Gaines

Glass Pieces

Rubric

Rachel Foster

Benjamin Griffiths

Sarah Ricard Orza

James Moore

Margaret Mullin

Kiyon Gaines

Facades

Laura Gilbreath

Karel Cruz

Saturday, 25 September 7:30pm

Petite Mort

Sarah Ricard Orza/Seth Orza —

Chalnessa Eames/Benjamin Griffiths

Lesley Rausch/Jerome Tisserand

Margaret Mullin/Jonathan Porretta

Ariana Lallone/Batkhurel Bold

Lindsi Dec/Karel Cruz

Sechs Tänze (Six Dances)

Carrie Imler

Chalnessa Eames

Rachel Foster

Kylee Kitchens

James Moore

Josh Spell

William Lin-Yee

Andrew Bartee

Jardí Tancat

Ariana Lallone

Jeffrey Stanton

Rachel Foster

Batkhurel Bold

Carrie Imler

Olivier Wevers

Glass Pieces

Rubric

Lindsi Dec

Seth Orza

Lesley Rausch

Lucien Postlewaite

Chalnessa Eames

Jerome Tisserand

Facades

Maria Chapman

Jeffrey Stanton

http://www.pnb.org/Season/10-11/DirectorsChoice/#Details-Casting

It was very interesting to me to hear Josh talk about Chalnessa Eames's sense of humor. I love the way Chalnessa dances, and for my money she has no peer at PNB when it comes to female character parts and especially anything with humor in it.

Her Nurse in "Romeo et Juliette" was dead on.

P.S. I noted that Josh says Chalnessa's first name with a short e rather than the long e I have always used. Good to know. (Plus it seems she has the nickname of "Challa".)

I think he's saying "Chal".

This new video highlights "Jardi Tancat" to what I think is the most beautiful song in the series:

The couples are Ariana Lallone and Karel Cruz, Rachel Foster and Batkhurel Bold, and Carrie Imler and Olivier Wevers. The women look extraordinary. Kudos to editor Lindsay Thomas for the arresting final image of Foster and Wevers, the cherry on top.

I could listen to Maria del Mar Bonet sing all day long.