This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Stashkevich

Hello Bolshoi watchers: I gather there have been some cast changes announced for the Bolshoi's Coppelia in London (unfortunately no Alexandrova and everyone else rearranged). This has somewhat complicated my planning for a trip to London later this month. (Work takes me there but I have been able to add days to my trip to see both the Mikhailovsky and Bolshoi.)

I am curious what people can tell me about Stashkevich. Of course if I had world enough and time I would happily see all the leading Bolshoi dancers in all their roles, but as that might not be possible, I thought I would ask if anyone on ballet talk had seen her dance or knew something about her career.

I did find a youtube clip of Stashkevich dancing Amour's variation in Don Q--but am not able to form much of an opinion from that. Any thoughts or opinions about her dancing?

I saw her dance in a gala in Nottingham a while back and wasn't alone in thinking her a weak link in an otherwise impressive line up. Why this dancer's career is flourishing is a mystery to me as I see no talent there at all. This is unusual at the Bolshoi as they have exceptional female dancers at all levels and recently I can't think of anyone else being prominently cast that wasn't up to scratch. Nevertheless I have a ticket to see her as she dances with Slava Lopatin, an outstanding classicist well worth watching in his own right.

I'm completely gutted that Alexandrova has been dropped from this. As she is still dancing other roles and we can therefore assume she isn't injured, I think a management explanation is in order.

Hello Bolshoi watchers: I gather there have been some cast changes announced for the Bolshoi's Coppelia in London (unfortunately no Alexandrova and everyone else rearranged).

Where have cast changes been announced?

I checked on the ROH site, and the performance of Coppelia I have booked still lists Alexandrova in the cast.

I also did not see any 'rearrangements' of other castings.

Hello Bolshoi watchers: I gather there have been some cast changes announced for the Bolshoi's Coppelia in London (unfortunately no Alexandrova and everyone else rearranged).

Where have cast changes been announced?

I checked on the ROH site, and the performance of Coppelia I have booked still lists Alexandrova in the cast.

I also did not see any 'rearrangements' of other castings.

A friend informed me by email that the cast changes have appeared on the Bolshoi website (although I couldn't find them there)

and also in an article written by Ismene Brown in Arts Desk.

S. Zakharova is no longer on the tour, likewise for Vorontsova and Shipulina.

Alexandrova will appear in Paquita Grand Pas along with Tsiskaridze (both the 29th and 30th of July), as well as in two Corsaires.

Kaptsova has gained a Giselle (which is good news to me) and N Osipova replaces Alexandrova in the first Coppelia (which is also good news).

and N Osipova replaces Alexandrova in the first Coppelia (which is also good news).

For all Osipova's jaw-dropping abilities, it's Alexandrova who is the real deal and I don't see that her being dropped without an explanation is good news at all.

and N Osipova replaces Alexandrova in the first Coppelia (which is also good news).

For all Osipova's jaw-dropping abilities, it's Alexandrova who is the real deal and I don't see that her being dropped without an explanation is good news at all.

Yes but Alexandrova gets redirected to both Paquita performances (and that's good news).

Anyway, I'm trying to make myself feel better before my long trip and all my early, thought-out cast selections.

Here's the link from Ismene Brown:

http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1805:bolshoi-tour-prima-ballerina-pulls-out&Itemid=12

I've seen Stashkevich in a handful of soloist roles, and she was superb in all of them. While there's no guarantee that a soloist can make the transition to carrying a ballet, I think "Coppelia" would be a natural for her, based on what I've seen.

I think the London lineup looks great -- I wish I could be there.

Having now seen Stashkevich in Coppelia I am happy to report some improvement since I saw her in Nottingham, most importantly she has shed the excess weight she had then. She was quite adequate as Swanilda but not the most musical of dancers, much better than I remembered though.