This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Romeo and Juliet

Unless Corella is injured or the decision is Corella's,

this substitution is untenable. Corella has so few

full-length ballets this season even before the change.

He has stated in an interview that the paucity of

performances he has this season is not by his choice

(ie not due to his involvement with his ballet

company not permitting more ABT performances).

Onyxmyxtoes--Most of my ballet going (pretty much all) is organized around trips; I have several times had the experience of going somewhere (at considerable expense too!) to see x or y, only to have x or y cancelled. So I felt a huge sense of identification reading your post--my sympathies all the way. (The good news is that you will still see Vishneva...at least 'knock wood' you will.)

I'm disappointed about Corella also. Wonder why this is happening.

Is it possible for someone to tell me what time ABT's Romeo and Juliet ends? I'm going to see it on Tuesday and it begins at 7:30. I need to know in order to arrange for someone to pick me up when it is over as I cannot walk.

Will be grateful for any help and thank you.

Fran Wetzstein

I wonder whether Gomes' receiving his third Romeo has any negative connotations on Kevin M's view of Cornejo playing the role (and I am not suggesting any are necessarily implied). But Cornejo only has one Romeo, and his performance is early enough in the week relative to the Vishneva performance. Has Cornejo worked with Vishneva before, and are there any issues to their potential pairing (e.g., how tall is Vishneva)?

Hallberg is not possible for the Vishneva performance because he will have just performed with Osipova during the matinee the very same day. Also, since this is Osipova's first Juliet, Hallberg will need to commit presumably more practice time to her. Hallberg is already dancing two Romeos.

Cory Stearns also has two Romeos, and is performing the Friday before the Saturday evening Vishneva performance.

That left Gomes and Cornejo as the likely Romeos that Kevin M would have chosen between, to work with Vishneva. I happen to think Gomes would be a better Romeo for Vishneva, but, if I were in Cornejo, I would be taking note of Marcelo getting his third Romeo and trying harder to get additional roles opposite ballerinas not named Xiomara.

The fact that Cornejo is so short severely limits his ability to fill in when someone is injured. I would think that he could have partnered Osipova, but since she appears to enjoy working w. Hallberg, I doubt they would switch her to Cornejo for her role debut. Poor Gomes. He is being overworked.

Vishneva has made it pretty clear on numerous occasions she adores Marcelo, I doubt she would ask to dance with anyone else for this. I don't believe she has partnered with Herman before. She might be just at the limit of height to dance with him, but she is a bit wild onstage I don't think Herman would be able to dance with her in something as partnering intensive as R&J.

I hope Marcelo makes it to Sleeping Beauty in LA next week...with Veronika out last week, I am starting to think my little dream cast might not arrive all in one piece.

edit: Now might be a great time for Kevin to start letting some additional covers for Romeo line up. For years, I would assume it's a part that was pretty much impossible to get unless you were a principal but with half of the male principals taking Romeo out of their rep, you need more than one guy (Stearns) as a fill in. Regardless of this in Vishneva's case, though, I'm sure Marcelo would always have been the person to step in to dance with her.

Vishneva has made it pretty clear on numerous occasions she adores Marcelo, I doubt she would ask to dance with anyone else for this. I don't believe she has partnered with Herman before. She might be just at the limit of height to dance with him, but she is a bit wild onstage I don't think Herman would be able to dance with her in something as partnering intensive as R&J.

I hope Marcelo makes it to Sleeping Beauty in LA next week...with Veronika out last week, I am starting to think my little dream cast might not arrive all in one piece.

edit: Now might be a great time for Kevin to start letting some additional covers for Romeo line up. For years, I would assume it's a part that was pretty much impossible to get unless you were a principal but with half of the male principals taking Romeo out of their rep, you need more than one guy (Stearns) as a fill in. Regardless of this in Vishneva's case, though, I'm sure Marcelo would always have been the person to step in to dance with her.

Have faith! Gomes is a horse! I have little doubt he'll make it through. As to other contenders for the future, surely Eric Tamm should be learning the role. ABT should be looking also as to who on the female side will be next in line. Hee Seo we know, but who else has the technique and temperament for Juliet? Possibly, Isabella Boylston. Maybe, maybe Sarah Lane, but her technique can blow hot and cold. Not as secure as one would like for Juliet.

A Hammoudi would be an interesting Romeo and Zhong Jing Fang( if she gets out of the injury list) would be a marveloius Juliet.

I'm disappointed about Corella also. Wonder why this is happening.

To my eye, for the last two seasons Corella has looked out of shape technically and has also gained weight. In addition, even in his prime, he had some difficulty with the lifts in Romeo and Juliet (you can see him laboring with Ferri in the balcony scene, in the La Scala production of R&J that is on DVD). The fact that Diana also loves Marcelo (and might not feel as secure with Corella) all point towards reasons why this cast change happened.

I agree about Tamm and Hammoudi, from what I've seen of both of them. I'd throw Stella Abrera and Maria Ricetto in for Juliet.

I read awhile ago Sarah Lane had used some grant money to get coaching from Alessandra Ferri for Juliet...probably wouldn't turn out that bad with Ferri guiding you.

I read awhile ago Sarah Lane had used some grant money to get coaching from Alessandra Ferri for Juliet...probably wouldn't turn out that bad with Ferri guiding you.

I was very happy to read in today's NYT that Ferri is coaching Osipova for R&J. That bodes VERY well for Osipova since IMO Ferri was the most perfect Juliet of all time.

To my eye, for the last two seasons Corella has looked out of shape technically and has also gained weight. In addition, even in his prime, he had some difficulty with the lifts in Romeo and Juliet (you can see him laboring with Ferri in the balcony scene, in the La Scala production of R&J that is on DVD).

Unless Corella is injured or otherwise out of his own true volition chose not to perform, switching Corella out is unfair. If Vishneva wants to perform with Gomes, she should have articulated that to Kevin M before the schedule was announced. Then, Corella could have been paired with somebody else.

How can Kevin M remove an important role from a danseur who has so few full-length performances this Met season to being with? Unless the decision was Corella's (which I doubt), this is truly adding insult to a danseur whose performances many ballet goers adored and adore.

I really appreciate Corella, and, not inconsistent with that, did report that his upper thighs seemed chubbier in last year's Swan Lake. But I really enjoyed Corella as Siegfried because he can act, because he uses his whole body to express what is happening to the character, and, while Corella may not be in his prime technically, his technique remains good enough. So, while I love watching Hallberg as Siegfried (or in any other role, for that matter), I found qualities in Corella's Siegfried that made me prefer his performance last season. Corella's artistry is so much more important than whether he has gained weight, or whether he is at the height of his technical powers. I've never seen Corella dance Romeo and I will be deprived of that opportunity (at least for this Met season).

I saw Corella in other roles, e.g., Prodigal Son and Ali in Le Corsaire, last year (I think,last year) since his then weight gain. Corella did not look like he was outside of the reasonable range of weight for his build, even though he had gained a bit of weight. This year, I saw him in the Opening Night Gala and he looked fine in terms of weight. I also saw him perform when Corella Ballet Castilla Y León made its debut in NY and he looked fine there too.

On a separate note, I think it's amazing how well things work out sometimes. Members might recall that it was Stiefel who was supposed to pair Osipova, instead of Hallberg, in the roles that Hallberg ended occupying opposite Osipova last year. But Stiefel was injured. Can you imagine how akward it would be if Stiefel could not match the technical abilities of Osipova (no negative connotations on Stiefel, but he is no longer at the height of his technical liablities)? :pinch:

Finally, an update from Daniil S's twitter:

"Casting for the 8th week at the MET: Wednesday,

July 7 (Benvolio in 'Romeo and Juliet'), Friday, July 9 (Benvolio in 'Romeo and Juliet'), Saturday evening, July 10 (Benvolio in 'Romeo and Juliet')

I have not been performing in some of my previous shows due to a (relative) minor ankle injury. I hope to be able to perform this week. If n...ot, I will let you know here."

So, if Daniil's ankle permits, he's dancing Benvolio to Gomes' Saturday evening Romeo. I thought that ABT would schedule him to be included in the Natalia Osipova Saturday matinee, which is sure to be reviewed by Alistair M, but apparently not.

Have faith! Gomes is a horse! I have little doubt he'll make it through. As to other contenders for the future, surely Eric Tamm should be learning the role. ABT should be looking also as to who on the female side will be next in line. Hee Seo we know, but who else has the technique and temperament for Juliet? Possibly, Isabella Boylston. Maybe, maybe Sarah Lane, but her technique can blow hot and cold. Not as secure as one would like for Juliet.

Personally I never thought of Juliet as a technical role as much as a dramatic one. Ferri, who most of us agree was one of the greatest, had technical limitations that limited her repertory. I can't imagine that she did Aurora or Theme and Variation, but she was one of the greatest dancer/actresses ever. Margot Fonteyn was a wonderful Juliet even in her later years, when she had greatly diminished technique. I'd love to see Simkin/Lane do R&J. They'd really look like children.

Since there's been no official news about the casting changes, we don't know why the casts were shifted around. There are plenty of reasons that wouldn't have driven a danseur to slap someone in the face with a white glove in another era.

Personally I never thought of Juliet as a technical role as much as a dramatic one. Ferri, who most of us agree was one of the greatest, had technical limitations that limited her repertory. I can't imagine that she did Aurora or Theme and Variation, but she was one of the greatest dancer/actresses ever. Margot Fonteyn was a wonderful Juliet even in her later years, when she had greatly diminished technique. I'd love to see Simkin/Lane do R&J. They'd really look like children.

Agreed. A dramatic role for sure. But there is a good deal of partnering and neither Simkin or Lane excel in that department, although I've seen some big improvements in Simkin's partnering this season. Lane struggles at times (e.g. "Birthday Offering" and "Brahms/Haydn". Oddly, her supported piroettes always looked forced, sometimes late with the music). But they would certainly look the age of the characters. Now to find dancers to play their parents and not look like their grand parents! OK, Roman is Zhurban is one.

Not sure if I worded this correctly for moderators (please fix if necessary) but...

TICKET AVAILABLE:

To save myself the expense of having to stay overnight in NYC--I am willing to offer up my ABT R&J Sat. July 10th evening Ctr.Parterre ticket (at a discount?) to any ABT/Vishneva-Gomes fan/BT poster, who might be interested. I am already attending the matinee performance (Hallberg/Osipova) that same day with my mother (and she needs to return to MA shortly thereafter) so I could meet the prospective purchaser at LCtr/Met--or nearby--immediately before/after the matinee, and then leave with mom. Email/PM me if this is feasible for you. (My cellphone doesn't receive emails, just texts)

(I have seen both Vishneva and Gomes peform R&J several times--though only once together, so I don't feel completely awful about missing them now. And if my finances were better, or superheated NY/MA weather more manageable for my aging parents, I'd probably stay.)

Not sure if I worded this correctly for moderators (please fix if necessary) but...

TICKET AVAILABLE:

To save myself the expense of having to stay overnight in NYC--I am willing to offer up my ABT R&J Sat. July 10th evening Ctr.Parterre ticket (at a discount?) to any ABT/Vishneva-Gomes fan/BT poster, who might be interested. I am already attending the matinee performance (Hallberg/Osipova) that same day with my mother (and she needs to return to MA shortly thereafter) so I could meet the prospective purchaser at LCtr/Met--or nearby--immediately before/after the matinee, and then leave with mom. Email/PM me if this is feasible for you. (My cellphone doesn't receive emails, just texts)

(I have seen both Vishneva and Gomes peform R&J several times--though only once together, so I don't feel completely awful about missing them now. And if my finances were better, or superheated NY/MA weather more manageable for my aging parents, I'd probably stay.)

I need it. I also attend at the matinee performance, so we can meet at the Met.

Monday, July 5 performance

Romeo -- Gomes

Juliet -- Kent

Mercutio -- Cornejo

Benvolio -- C Lopez

Tybalt -- G Saveliev

Paris -- S Radetsky

Lady Capulet -- S Abrera

Lord Capulet -- V Barbee

Frair Laurence -- F Franklin

Three Harlots -- L Paris, A Milewski, K Boone

Marcelo technically paired Kent well. However, in Acts I and II (except for the Act I balcony scene and the Act II chapel scene), I found Marcelo's Romeo to be too forward, flamboyant at times, and impetuous. During those portions, the positive qualities in Marcelo that make him a good bravado-type lead left me thinking that his Romeo lacked a soulfulness and an inner reserve. During those portions, he seemed more into himself (or conforming to his notions of himself) than anything, or he could have been playing Basilio in Don Quixote.

While Kent danced expressively, I'm not sure she is convincing as a young girl. That being said, she danced well during the Capulet ball and balcony scenes.

Cornejo danced well, as did Carlos Lopez, as Mercutio and Benvolio. Their portrayal of Romeo's friends made it seem like a college-frat-type atmosphere, however. I found the way the Mercutio death scene is staged a bit too drawn out -- he walks around for a while, then drinks some wine and dances with a Harlot, then picks up the sword, walks around some more, and then collapses. To me, those steps seemed to lessen the impact of Mercutio's death. S Radetsky was a very proud and controlling Paris.

This was the first time I saw the ABT production of R&J. Some parts don't seem to be ideal. As examples, (1) Juliet literally playing with a cloth doll and jumping into nurse's lap during the sequence when she is introduced to Paris in Act 1, (2) the distracting nature of the role of the three harlots (I understand they pair Romeo and his buddies in some sequences), and (3) horrible costumes for Paris (the super long droopy sleeves that hang down like balloons) and for most of the corps (although the costumes for Romeo and Juliet were fine). Also, some parts of the translation from Shakespeare's play to the ABT production that are omitted seem to be unhelpful. In the ballet, there is no attempt on the part of the Frair to warn Romeo about Juliet's having taken the "deep sleep" potion to mimic death. In the play, there is such intent on the part of the Frair, but the message never reaches Romeo. That makes sense. Not even explaining why Romeo was never attempted to be alerted to Juliet's "deep sleep" does not. Also, I don't like the addition of the Harlots into the ballet, relative to the Shakespeare play. And the "market"/town center backdrop is used too much and is somewhat monocromatic.

There was a leaflet included in the program, honoring G Parkinson:

"This evening we honor Georgina Parkinson, a luminous Juliet and the original Rosaline in Sir Kenneth MacMillan's production of Romeo and Juliet. After an illustrious 20-year career as a ballerina with The Royal Ballet, she became a cherished ballet mistress and coach at [ABT]. Georgina supported, mentored and inspired our dancers for over 30 years. Her steadfast commitment and sparkling wit are greatly missed."

I had a smoked salmon plate ($11 or 12; different from the smoked salmon sandwiches) and a sangria during one of the intermissions.

I remember that piece about Ferri coaching Lane on Juliet. Lane has really impressed me this season. She is an expansive, if small dancer, who has such beautiful lines, although she can stumble on turns. I would love a Lane Juliet with Cornejo or even the young Simkin. Regarding Cornejo not getting many performances, I agree that Vishneva, although petite, is too powerful for his size. Lane getting more principal roles may help us see more Cornejo (Giselle?).

And a "tall" R & J with Hammoudi and Abrera would be just dreamy in my opinion. They make an utterly perfect pairing in what I've seen them in (7 Sonatas and Brahms-Hayden Variations), and I would love to see their partnership develop. Their long limbs and ability to cover space complement each other well.

I've enjoyed reading everyones' reviews this season. It sure helps me picture the many performances I can't attend. I haven't had time to post much, but when I find a moment I should comment on the Gillian Murphy Swan Lake, as I think she is at top form in this role. I also hope to report on the Osipova R & J debut this Saturday. So looking forward to it.

July 6, Tuesday

Romeo -- Hallberg

Juliet -- Murphy

Mercutio -- J Matthews

Benvolio -- B Hoven

Tybalt -- P Ogle

Paris -- G DeLong

Lady Capulet -- K Boone

Lord Capulet -- R Zhurbin

Friar Laurence -- C Luckett

Three Harlots -- M Copeland, S Abrera, M Hamrick

This performance was carried along as though flushed with the blush of young love and the feeling of wind beneath the lovers' wings. Just like Hallberg's jumps and lifts.

The performance was so accomplished -- lush, refined, engaging and exquisitely danced by Hallberg. Murphy was effective as well.

The pair communicated well their budding, but deepening love. They breathed emerging feelings and growing esteem.

Hallberg was much more refined a Romeo than Gomes, and portrayed better the young generation of a noble and wealthy family than did Gomes. Gomes could well have been a member of the Verona band of joksters. Hallberg appropriately seemed like he was not at any point in time romantically interested in the harlots, but was just friendly with them, whereas Gomes seemed like he could have had some sort of seamy relationship with them.

I think Hoven worked as well here with Hallberg as lead danseur, as Hoven did in this season's two Hallberg Swan Lakes. Hoven danced better than Mathews tonight, leaping taller and being more constantly in character and more involved even when not at the centre of the action. This is the most handsome Montague trio one could imagine.

Roman Z continues to show good acting in roles that are supposed to be occupied by much older danseurs. With facial makeup, he looked (including his face and the way he carried himself) the age that V Barbee did yesterday in the same role.

Today's Paris was somewhat "softer", more laid-back, than last night's proud, controlling Paris.