This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Royal Ballet's Japan tour

The Royal Ballet of London is touring Japan, from June 19 through July 3, presenting "La Fille mal gardée", "Mayerling", and "Romeo and Juliet". Yesterday's "RJ" at Tokyo was Miyako Yoshida's last performance with the company.

Her partner was Steven McRae. Miyako's torso was perfectly fit for this day, and her spill of emotion as a dancer was recognized especially in the 1st act. After the short pas de deux with McRae, her left foot almost slipped, but she quickly recovered. McRae showed some super-technique of chainé. I liked the scene of 3rd act, where she sat on the bed, pondering to go to church. She thinks, thinks, and finally reaches the idea (?) to get the sleep medication from the monk. Overall it was a superb performance.

In the curtain call flower bouquets were handed to her by Monica Mason (Director), Jonathan Cope (repetiteur), Kevin O'Hare (administrative director), David Bintley (Director of BRB, her former boss), etc. She looked humble and modest as she always had been.

Among the audience was Roberta Marquez, who is about to dance Juliet on July 3 at Kobe.

I also saw this shoe and thought Miyako was excellent, she's a really inspirational dancer and I was most impressed. Great post!

The Royal Ballet of London is touring Japan, from June 19 through July 3, presenting "La Fille mal gardée", "Mayerling", and "Romeo and Juliet". Yesterday's "RJ" at Tokyo was Miyako Yoshida's last performance with the company.

Her partner was Steven McRae. Miyako's torso was perfectly fit for this day, and her spill of emotion as a dancer was recognized especially in the 1st act. After the short pas de deux with McRae, her left foot almost slipped, but she quickly recovered. McRae showed some super-technique of chainé. I liked the scene of 3rd act, where she sat on the bed, pondering to go to church. She thinks, thinks, and finally reaches the idea (?) to get the sleep medication from the monk. Overall it was a superb performance.

In the curtain call flower bouquets were handed to her by Monica Mason (Director), Jonathan Cope (repetiteur), Kevin O'Hare (administrative director), David Bintley (Director of BRB, her former boss), etc. She looked humble and modest as she always had been.

Among the audience was Roberta Marquez, who is about to dance Juliet on July 3 at Kobe.