55 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

Really, really amazing. My compliments, admiration, (envy) and awe.

I'll pass on the compliments to IPS, our host provider. I think they've done a wonderful job with this release. There are some things I'll have to find -- like the old User CP/My Controls -- and when I do, I'll post about them, but for now, the blogs should be back.

Please let me know if you have trouble reading them. Senior Members can create their own blogs, but so far, we've got two great ones:

atm711: Ruminations

Hans: Details

How do we get the iphone app? What does it do? Make BalletTalk available in an iphone friendly format

When I used the standard URL in my iPhone, it automatically brought up the board in an iPhone-friendly format.

www.ballettalk.invisionzone.com

To the right of "Ballet Talk" is a light blue button. When you tap it, there's a drop-down menu, and it's big enough that you don't necessarily have to pinch the screen to make each entry bigger to select it. The options are:

Sign Out ([Username])
Messenger (IM's)
Members (Members list, for people who are Members with 10+ posts)
Blogs -- which is only bringing up "Add Entry", and I suspect is for posting to a blog, not for reading it.
New Content -- old "View New Posts"
Status Updates -- haven't figured this one out yet.

There is an IP.Board application which I've just downloaded. It adds an app to the iPhone that allows you to list all of the IP.Boards. If you've want to aggregate all of the links to IP.Boards, like Ballet Talk, Ballet Talk for Dancers (once they upgrade), and any other boards, you can add them to your IP.Board "Community", instead of having individual icons for each board. You also can park your username and passwords in the app, so that you don't have to keep signing in.

#17 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:55 PM

Where is the link for Ballet Talk for Dancers?

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:21 PM

Where is the link for Ballet Talk for Dancers?

It will be back when I figure out how to add it. That and "Contact Us". And the amazon.com search box.

BT4D is still running under the old version. We'll upgrade them once we figure out all of the wrinkles.

(This is why we couldn't keep the board closed until I figured it out -- you'd be a grandfather by then :))

#19 stinger784

stinger784

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

:wink: 'Nuff said.

#20 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

Thank you Helene.

As an 'oldie' I like the very clear presentation of the new format. Well Done.

Please tell me. how do I remove the full display of my interests against each post?

#21 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

Leonid, your interests are on your profile page (which you can access to edit by clicking on your name). Helene may customize the board so these don't show (I don't know what she has in mind), but if not, you can delete them from your profile.

In the meantime, if you don't want them to show but may want to reincorporate them into your profile, you might choose to copy and paste them as a text document on your hard drive to add them back to your profile page at a later date.

#22 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:53 AM

How do you remove the gender from your description next to your post? I notice that not everyone has gender mentioned. For example Helene does not. Thanks.

#23 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:08 AM

Unfortunately, I don't know yet how to remove things from the profile next to the posts. I thought I removed it from the profile that appears when you click on a name, but that doesn't seem to affect the post profile. These templates are a lot different than the last batch, and I haven't deciphered them yet.

#24 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:16 AM

Leonid, your interests are on your profile page (which you can access to edit by clicking on your name). Helene may customize the board so these don't show (I don't know what she has in mind), but if not, you can delete them from your profile.

In the meantime, if you don't want them to show but may want to reincorporate them into your profile, you might choose to copy and paste them as a text document on your hard drive to add them back to your profile page at a later date.

Many thanks. I am happy for it to remain my personal profile, but it takes up so much room on the page when posting.

Thanks Helene. I understand that you have a task on your hands.

#25 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

We've got the amazon.com box back, albeit askew. The header has been redefined not to include the logo, and I need to find the name of the section with the logo, so I can try to align it.

We also have links to Contact Us and Ballet Talk for Dancers.

I haven't been able to find the code or setting that drives the profile info next to the posts. If things start appearing and disappearing and/or looking askew, it's because I'm working a bit by trial and error. ("Ooops, that made the post box disappear, better change it back...")

#26 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

Thanks to the very helpful "ct2Ěcom" on the IP.Board help forums, I was able to find out how to stop the Location, Gender, and Interest info from displaying next to each post. :flowers:

#27 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:31 PM

I hope you don't have "BT board update" scenarios in your dreams, Helene! What a mammoth task. And to add to it I have another question :wink:

Before you could search and get either a list of threads or quotes from posts with your search term highlighted. Is this still possible? Thanks for your help.

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

I only dream about the ones I can't figure out yet :)

The search function is now in one location, in the input box at the top right hand side of the page. (It will be right under the user profile info, once I can figure out how to align the amazon.com box with the logo [or align the logo with the top of the header.])

If you're on a topic, the search default will be "Topic". If you're in a forum, the search default will be "Forum", meaning the current forum. If you're on the homepage, the default will be "Forums". If you click the little down arrow -- it's light gray -- next to the default search (Topic, Forum, Forums, etc.) you'll get a drop-down box with other options:

Forums -- search all forums
Members -- search members list
Help
Calendar
Blogs

You can put your search term(s) in the input box, including "[exact string]", +[term/string 1] "[term/string 2]", AND, OR, etc. They will overwrite the default word "search" in the box. (If you just click the magnifying glass, it will search on the word "search" instead of displaying an error message.)

To search, click the icky green icon with the magnifying glass. The default will be a list of topics/threads, and the search term(s) will be highlighted in yellow.

To get the advanced search screen, click the little wheel/cog all the way to the right. That will bring up the Advanced Search screen, where you can add date ranges and the author's board name and other search criteria, and also change the sort order of the results, and the reason I always use it:

to get search results by post instead of topic. The yellow highlight will appear even when all posts should include the search term(s).

If you type something in the search box and then decide to change to advanced search, what you entered in the box isn't persisted, and you have to type it in again.

To get to that screen used to take multiple clicks, so yay! for the new design.

#29 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,000 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

Thanks to "3DKiwi" on the IP.Board member self-help forums, age and birthday are gone from the profile page, and in the same piece of skin code I found a way to get rid of the weird default avatar, too.

#30 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

To get the advanced search screen, click the little wheel/cog all the way to the right. That will bring up the Advanced Search screen, where you can add date ranges and the author's board name and other search criteria, and also change the sort order of the results, and the reason I always use it: to get search results by post instead of topic. The yellow highlight will appear even when all posts should include the search term(s).

Thanks Helene :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):