This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

POB internal competition results

Only POB's graduate class of this year could compete.

Emma, Amelie, François and Florent won permanent positions with the compagny.

Results

Girls :

1. Emma d'Humières

2. Amélie Joannides

3. Clothilde Tran-Phat

4. Victoire Debay

5. Caroline Osmont

6. Ambre Chiarcosso

Boys :

1. François Alu

2. Florent Melac

3. Mathieu Contat

4. Neven Ritmanic

5. Nathan Bouzy

6. Niccolo Balossini

Congrats to them all !

That's great news for Emma and Amelie! do you know what will happen to the others now? I always wonder where the one who don't get contracts with POB go as I've looked at quite a few of the major dance companies and don't see any french dancers listed.

do you know what will happen to the others now? I always wonder where the one who don't get contracts with POB go as I've looked at quite a few of the major dance companies and don't see any french dancers listed.

I had the same question when I saw the list -- and when I thought of all those French dancers, those who are not from the POB school, who auditioned recently. What options are there for these beautifully-trained dancers who, for one reason or other, do not find a place at the top of the pyramid?

They can compete in the external competition. If you look at the external results from previous years, I think you'll see that a number of the successful candidates (such as Marine Ganio) are in fact graduates of the school. Also, some of the candidates are very young, and I believe they can repeat their final year and do the internal competition again.

They are some POB-trained dancers in German companies, and also at other French companies like the Opéra de Bordeaux. I am surprised they're aren't more at American companies though.

Such a pity they're so few places this year.

In Seattle, there is Jerome Tisserand, who also studied at Pascale Courdioux in Lyon and SAB. Liora Reshef was trained in France before the PNB School, but not at POB. Anne Derieux was a PNB Soloist and Principal from 1992-2000, but I can't find any info on where she trained. Christophe Maraval, and PNB Soloist/Principal for not long enough, was trained at POB School and the Conservatoire Nationale Superieure de Paris.

From the article on Maraval:

"I went to an audition in New York, and Francia (Russell, longtime co-artistic director, along with her husband Kent Stowell) told me I needed to work on my musicality. She said the French are not musical. Then I took a class with Anne Derieux (another French dancer) so Kent could see me dance."

I think Ms. Verdy would beg to differ.

On San Francisco Ballet's current roster are Pascal Molat and Pierre-François Vilanoba (also Lille Conservatory). French-born Sofiane Sylve studied at Académie de Dance in Nice.