3 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,134 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:06 AM

A Google alert brought up a question about Bill Nye and a patent for toe shoes. Further searching led to a series of confirmations that, indeed, Bill Nye ("The Science Guy") received a patent for an improved toe shoe in 2005. Here is a link to the description and drawings:

http://www.patentsto...escription.html

I can't find any record of these being manufactured.

Edited by Helene, 09 July 2010 - 05:37 PM.
First link is not for the Nye shoe

#2 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:45 AM

ONLY you with your steel trap mind could find a way to put toe shoes and The Science Guy together! You never cease to amaze me.

#3 lil' prima

lil' prima

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

actually I believe these are the shoes in the first link. I have worn these before, and many professional dancers wear them. :thumbsup:

#4 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,134 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

You are right -- the first link was to the Gaynor Minden patent, which was a mistake on my part, and I've removed it.

The Nye patent application refers to the Gaynor Minden (and Birkenstocks) in the "Background of Invention" section.

The Gaynor Minden is widely used. I don't think the Nye shoe has ever been manufactured.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):