This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Diana Vishneva to Participate in School Visit with First Lady Michelle

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

....Ps Has Vishneva not been introduced to the First Lady before at gala events?

Not Mrs. Obama, who has not attended a Kennedy Center performance yet (ballet or otherwise), other than the Inauguration & the Kennedy Center Honors. Mrs. Clinton used to attend ballets, although it helped that daughter Chelsea was/is passionate about the art.

Of course, Vishneva has met the Russian First Lady.

Michelle Obama gave a speech at ABT's Met season opening night gala last year. I'd be surprised if MO hasn't been introduced to the principal dancers backstage, or at least to the dancers who performed that night which included DV. So there's a very good chance that DV has been introduced to MO. If MO endorses an organization by giving it a speech, she should be familiar with that organization.

#17 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

....Ps Has Vishneva not been introduced to the First Lady before at gala events?

Not Mrs. Obama, who has not attended a Kennedy Center performance yet (ballet or otherwise), other than the Inauguration & the Kennedy Center Honors. Mrs. Clinton used to attend ballets, although it helped that daughter Chelsea was/is passionate about the art.

Of course, Vishneva has met the Russian First Lady.

Michelle Obama gave a speech at ABT's Met season opening night gala last year. I'd be surprised if MO hasn't been introduced to the principal dancers backstage, or at least to the dancers who performed that night which included DV. So there's a very good chance that DV has been introduced to MO. If MO endorses an organization by giving it a speech, she should be familiar with that organization.

I was informed that the dancers were introduced to the First Lady before that performance.

#18 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Vishneva was very busy in Washington. She visited at least one other school -- Kirov Academy of Ballet, whose summer sessions started this week. I got an email today from KAB with a photo of Vishneva, looking extrtemely gracious, surrounded by at least 80 very excited little girls. She dropped by last night. (I'd left earlier, so I missed her, alas.) What a great gift to the students at Ellington -- Vishneva AND the First Lady!

#19 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:16 AM

Not Mrs. Obama, who has not attended a Kennedy Center performance yet (ballet or otherwise), other than the Inauguration & the Kennedy Center Honors.

Not so.
http://www.huffingto...e_n_164840.html

I agree with leonid's points. Also, this was a good opportunity to polish her US "credentials" and expand her fan base here (since she appears at KC with both of her ballet companies). A lovely event! And if these high school students didn't quite rise to the level of the legendary Moiseyev company (and I'm not saying for a fact that they didn't :) ), it was a chance to show off what American public education at its best can offer. I just wish it were fully funded by without "outside help."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):