This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

The Claque

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

There are a lot of people with a lot of disposable income that follow opera, ballet, figure skating, speedskating, etc. There are a lot of people who live frugally and/or have flexible jobs or freelance and spend every cent of the little disposable income they have to be, for example, Ring Heads.

I doubt that the fans from Japan who've given Johnny Weir designer bags worth thousands of dollars did so because they were paid. There are cultural differences among countries: what seems excessive to us is more mainstream somewhere else. Also, ballet dancers and figure skaters are the Brad Pitts and Julia Roberts' of their societies. (You can tell how long it's been since I've been to a movie that didn't have subtitles.)

#47 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

I've heard of online discussions (aka "wars") between fans in opera and figure skating.  One of the things I like best about BA is the civilized nature of the discussions.  I hope it is ever thus.  

#48 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:33 AM

The interesting thing about figure skating is that due to past scandals regarding scoring, the scoring has become so mathematically precise.  Every jump, spin and footwork sequence is judged with mathematical precision.  There is a little wiggle room in the artistic component scores, but that's it. The "claques" have little or no influence over the scoring at ISU events.  They can cheer and boo all they want, but I don't think it has any influence on scores anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):