OsipovaMugged in New York

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 annamicro

annamicro

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:27 AM

Osipova is wisely using her opportunities at ABT to learn new roles that the Bolshoi has not cast her in. Everyone already knew she would do a great Kitri. Now she is showing the world what she can do with roles that she has not done with the Bolshoi, like Juliet and Aurora. Had she ever performed Giselle or Sylphide before her ABT performances last year?

Yes, with the Bolshoi. I think we cannot say at all that she is underused in her home company: she is dancing almost everything of new and old they are staging (Esmeralda and Coppelia among the latest new things).
Anyway, good for her to have also opportunities elsewhere (it's funny that in few days we will have in La Scala another Bolshoi debut in MacMillan Romeo and Juliet: Volchkov as Romeo... maybe time to have the work in Bolshoi repertoire?).
I think Osipova made her debut as Nikiya in Novosibirsk before dancing it at the Bolshoi (I feel that Aurora should suit her better than the Bayadere).

There are a few cases of dancers making a debut in another company: Cojocaru, for example, made her debut in La Sylphide on Bolshoi stage.

#62 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:56 AM

(it's funny that in few days we will have in La Scala another Bolshoi debut in MacMillan Romeo and Juliet: Volchkov as Romeo... maybe time to have the work in Bolshoi repertoire?).

Not very likely, I think, especially considering that the Bolshoi has just revived the Grigorovich production of R&J. And Osipova was conspicuously absent from it, btw.

#63 annamicro

annamicro

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:02 AM

the Bolshoi has just revived the Grigorovich production of R&J. And Osipova was conspicuously absent from it, btw.

The comment on MacMillan version was just a joke; Volchkov is a quite late substitute for Vogel (it seems that he didn't have the permission to guest)... to be honest I'm not expecting a great show, but maybe I'll be surprised...

"Conspicuously": as much as I like Osipova, I think that Bolshoi is Bolshoi and not Osipova and other people, so probably she was just absent from it. There were only 4 shows, danced by Nikulina, Kaptsova and Krysanova and all of them are excellent dancers.
The previous premiere was Esmeralda and the title role was danced by Alexandrova, Osipova and Kaptsova.
Osipova is lucky to have other opportunities, but in my opinion she have also lots of oppotunities with the Bolshoi, even if the Bolshoi is right giving some of them also to the other dancers of its wonderful rooster... and giving Osipova time to make Paris, Milan, New York audiences happy! :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):