OsipovaMugged in New York

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#46 Waelsung

Waelsung

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:23 PM

In New York City, she is not a huge star. Put her on the subway, and I doubt more than one or two people would recognize her. Ballet dancers who are more well known, whose images are on bus stop shelters and phone booths (illuminated, no less), walk around on their own all the time.

Not only on the subway. Several weeks ago, while picking up my tickets for La bayadere I saw Osipova walk through the Met lobby with Hallberg and Simkin. It was about half an hour before the performance and there was a lot of people around. No one but me seemed to recognize or pay any attention to them, and we're talking not regular New Yorkers, but ballet fans getting ready to attend an ABT performance.

As for the mugging story, I can only thank God it didn't result in a true tragedy and hope it will not stop N.O. from coming back to NYC.

#47 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

Cable news junkies will note that Rachel Maddow closed her show with a mention of this incident.

Indeed -- and referred to "tiny, tiny toe shoes."

We are big fans at our house...

#48 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:36 AM

The New York Times has a nice feature story on Osipova that includes a little more information about the mugging:

http://www.nytimes.c...sipova.html?hpw

"The crime of different countries is an unpleasant extra; after the mugging, close to her rented apartment on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, she said she was simply relieved that only her face had been bruised. “It was so quick that I think I felt more shock the next day,” she said. “But now I am thinking only about my first performance of ‘The Sleeping Beauty.’ ”

#49 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:50 AM

Natalia could be right in her theory as there is a huge amount of venom directed at Osipova on some of the Russian websites (You tube too). Not beyond the bounds of possibility she was targeted on purpose.

By the way this made the free London newspaper Metro today, but the picture claiming to be Osipova wasn't actually of her. Typical sloppy journalism.

#50 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:17 AM

Not to dismiss the horrible act that happened in NYC...but I cannot imagine that this sort of thing does not happen in Moscow and that a celebrity such as Osipova has not been targetted before. It certainly happens in St Petersburg -- usually to the well-to-do and/or celebrities -- with the perpetrators usually linked to the local Mafia. If you are a celebrity and do not grease the right palms, then you WILL be mugged when walking the streets at night or maybe even worse. If a rival has "friends in mob places," watch out. [Of course, there's no Russian Mob in NYC, eh?]

Ex- AD of the Kirov-Mariinsky, Oleg Vinogradov, was mugged and beaten up pretty badly in the mid-1990s.

Not a mugging, but Diana Vishneva's house was burglarized one year ago, with her precious jewelry stolen. The thief knew exactly where to go.

Famous figure skaters have had their autos blown up.

I vaguely recall some incident with Bolshoi star Tsiskaridze hurt, a few years ago.

Re St. Pete and Moscow: Natalia, you're telling the truth. I'm so thankful that Osipova is okay. I hope NYPD gets the perps as soon as possible.

Mashinka wrote:

Natalia could be right in her theory as there is a huge amount of venom directed at Osipova on some of the Russian websites (You tube too). Not beyond the bounds of possibility she was targeted on purpose.

That thought had crossed my mind too :sweatingbullets: .

As an L.A. native I totally agree with you Papeetapatrick: The "noire" factor you mentioned is very real. The mad dash to get out of Downtown L.A. at 5 pm is a sight to behold. As far as ballet, opera and the orchestra are concerned, the exodus is even faster after evening performances at Disney Concert Hall and the Music Center. After the Lakers won the NBA Finals last night, there was the obligatory riot. I can only imagine what would've happened if the Celtics had won - and they almost did. Increasingly, major companies are re-routing their engagements to Orange County Center for the Performing Arts approximately 57 miles southeast of Los Angeles. The after-hours safety issue may be just one of the reasons for this, in addition to the superior facilities at the Center and the adjacent hotels in that complex. In Downtown L.A. the best hotels are several blocks away from the Music Center. It's also true that L.A.'s pedestrians and drivers are subjected to DUI entertainers. The best way to avoid our cultural elite and the papparazi who chase them, is to stay away from their haunts.

#51 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

Hopefully by now the detectives assigned to the case have "explored" the southern terminus of the A Train for some clues.

#52 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

The New York Times has a nice feature story on Osipova that includes a little more information about the mugging:

http://www.nytimes.c...sipova.html?hpw

"The crime of different countries is an unpleasant extra; after the mugging, close to her rented apartment on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, she said she was simply relieved that only her face had been bruised. “It was so quick that I think I felt more shock the next day,” she said. “But now I am thinking only about my first performance of ‘The Sleeping Beauty.’ ”

Is this Saturday Sleeping Beauty going to be a role debut for her? I am not sure the first performance of SB she referred to as with ABT or her first ever SB.

In the interview she seemed to indicate she'd like to join ABT on a more permanent basis , do anybody read the same thing or is it just my wishful thinking?

#53 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

This is her first, mussel. I was lucky enough to have witnessed her first Rose Adagio in a winter school performance at the old Bolshoi Theater. She was already a stunner at age 15 or 16...even though she had one little off-balance moment at the end of the last balance en attitude, I recall. She still had two years to go in the school. December 2002. The SRO audience went crazy for her even then.

How lucky for all of you who will witness her first complete Aurora!

#54 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

This is her first, mussel. I was lucky enough to witness her first Rose Adagio in a winter school performance at the old Bolshoi Theater. She was already a stunner at age 15 or 16...even though she had one little off-balance moment at the end of the last balance en attitude, I recall. She still had two years to go in the school. December 2002. The SRO audience went crazy for her even then.

What was Bolshoi smoking not casting her in SB? Politics?

#55 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

Kolpakova is coaching her :sweatingbullets: :yahoo: ! Osipova's in the best hands :wink:!

#56 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

Osipova is very lucky that the muggers did not look inside the bag and become angry that there was nothing of value to them (money) in the bag. As to the location of the mugging, I understand from the news that it was on Amsterdam and 63rd at 12:30 AM. Amsterdam in that area is rather creepy late at night. I always avoid it, and stick to more heavily populated avenues at late hours. I hope she isn't soured on our city.

#57 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

This is her first, mussel. I was lucky enough to witness her first Rose Adagio in a winter school performance at the old Bolshoi Theater. She was already a stunner at age 15 or 16...even though she had one little off-balance moment at the end of the last balance en attitude, I recall. She still had two years to go in the school. December 2002. The SRO audience went crazy for her even then.

Bingo. Certain older ballerinas -- and their protectors in the theater and/or the Russian political system -- often do not want to give a chance to the up-and-comers who may eclipse them in certain roles. They use half-hearted excuses such as "her lines are not long enough for Aurora or Odette." The truth is that the Kchessinskaya System of having ownership of roles and being able to dictate who else can dance them continues.

Teachers and coaches are also powerful in "lobbying" for their dancers. Remember how sad it was for Veronika Part at the Mariinsky after her long-time coach and protector, Zubkovskaya, passed away?

#58 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

[

Bingo. Certain older ballerinas -- and their protectors in the theater and/or the Russian political system -- often do not want to give a chance to the up-and-comers who may eclipse them in certain roles. They use half-hearted excuses such as "her lines are not long enough for Aurora or Odette." The truth is that the Kchessinskaya System of having ownership of roles and being able to dictate who else can dance them continues.

Teachers and coaches are also powerful in "lobbying" for their dancers. Remember how sad it was for Veronika Part at the Mariinsky after her long-time coach and protector, Zubkovskaya, passed away?

Osipova is wisely using her opportunities at ABT to learn new roles that the Bolshoi has not cast her in. Everyone already knew she would do a great Kitri. Now she is showing the world what she can do with roles that she has not done with the Bolshoi, like Juliet and Aurora. Had she ever performed Giselle or Sylphide before her ABT performances last year?

#59 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

Had she ever performed Giselle or Sylphide before her ABT performances last year?

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related :wub:

#60 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

I remember similar happened to Vishneva, she danced Odette/Odile with ABT well before Maryinsky cast her in SL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):