This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Lilac Garden

I was reading an interview with Maude Lloyd yesterday (she was the original Caroline), which had a picture of the original production. There was a girl in a white dress, which looks like the dress of the girl who cries and brings Caroline her cloak, labelled the Sister. Presumably Caroline's sister, which makes a lot of sense, because she would know what was going on. The productions I have seen have not identified this character, and I am wondering if anyone knows what happened to her.

Mary, I'm just guessing, but I wonder if the character was ever officially identified as Caroline's Sister? I seem to have read various things on the lines of 'the one we always thought was her sister', but I've never seen it in a cast list. Someone who knew the Rambert version in the mid-1940s says it definitely wasn't an official role by then, so maybe it was just tradition, or one of these names the dancers used amongst themselves? (Where did you see the Maude Lloyd interview, by the way? She's a dancer I really wish I'd seen.)

Jane, it was in an old issue of Ballet Review, in the early 80's. There was a picture in it from the original production, but no other indication as to where they got the identification. I had never seen a sister mentioned before, but I guess I can think of her as the sister for myself!