This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monumentum Pro Gesualdo/Movements for Piano and Orchestra

Just ahead of the Suzanne Farrell Ballet's presentation of this ballet (or pair of ballets), I've tried to meld together commentary by the choreographer (from "Balanchine's Complete Stories of the Great Ballets") and by one of his most valuable chroniclers IMO, Nancy Reynolds (from her "Repertory in Review: 40 Years of the New York City Ballet"). Both books are out of print. I've posted in our "Ballets & Choreographers" forum:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=31990

Just ahead of the Suzanne Farrell Ballet's presentation of this ballet (or pair of ballets), I've tried to meld together commentary by the choreographer (from "Balanchine's Complete Stories of the Great Ballets") and by one of his most valuable chroniclers IMO, Nancy Reynolds (from her "Repertory in Review: 40 Years of the New York City Ballet"). Both books are out of print. I've posted in our "Ballets & Choreographers" forum:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=31990

Mm...it would be interesting to see these two ballets danced by a different company. I wonder if my initial reaction to them had to do more with the troupe-(City Ballet)- and not with the choreography itself :) .

(from Washington, DC) Always a possibility. And these two troupes dance very differently. I've not seen Martins's company in M/M, but I have seen a previous staging by Farrell, and that was why I have traveled to Washington to see it again. The NYCB program I did see Wednesday evening looked clarified and polished, compared to their Chicago visit a year or two ago, but still remote; TSFB generally looks very present.