This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Your first live Giselle......do you remember her...?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

Toumanova was certainly a real beauty.[...] She was my first Giselle...

The above quote from atm711 made me curious about finding out if some of you would remember who was your first Giselle-(live I mean...)-for which in my case it is an unforgettable image. (Miss Lourdes Novoa :P , ex CNB's dancer and former wife of Jose Manuel Carreno).

So.. [size=3]Who was your first live Giselle...?[/size] :wink:

#2 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

Martine Van Hammel with ABT, she was great.

#3 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

Toumanova was certainly a real beauty.[...] She was my first Giselle...

The above quote from atm711 made me curious about finding out if some of you would remember who was your first Giselle-(live I mean...)-for which in my case it is an unforgettable image. (Miss Lourdes Novoa :P , ex CNB's dancer and former wife of Jose Manuel Carreno).

So.. [size=3]Who was your first live Giselle...?[/size] :wink:

Carla Fracci -- she was divine. It was at ABT many years ago with Eric Bruhn. The experience goes along with Fonteyn/Nureyev in Romeo & Juliet. I was a teen and cried at both.

BTW I don't go to see story ballets anymore, with the exception of Sleeping Beauty (because there is so much dancing). Wow way off topic - sorry.

#4 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

Diana Vishneva with Vladimir Malakhov. Still maybe one of the most memorable nights of ballet in my life. :wink:

#5 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

I may have forgotten someone, but I think it was in fact Judith Fugate - in Gabriella Darvash's production for her NYC school. I was in it, harvesting grapes in Act I and I'd watch Act II with Judy - and just as much a student, Moira Dorsey, as Myrtha. To this day no one can came close to how I recall her jump.

#6 DanceActress

DanceActress

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

Nina Ananiashvili with the Bolshoi- divine.

#7 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

Ballet Theatre, Lupe Serrano, during a visit home from school.

My experience of the full-evening classics up to that time had been limited to a few early Ballet Theater Swan Lakes, so I didn't know what to expect. I just knew that Giselle was a classic. I remember a smallish stage (a regular theater, not the old Met) and a rather creaky and (to me) old-fashioned Act I. But I was bowled over by the unexpected beauty. mystery, and pathos of Act II.

#8 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

Without rummaging through old programs -- not sure I have it anyway -- I think mine was Carla Fracci with Ivan Nagy, and ABT. "Lighter than air", ethereal, couldn't believe it, "but you're seeing it", I told myself... (It would be decades before I would encounter the term, cognitive disconnect.) I'm sure there were bits that went past me, it was early in my experience, but I can still see some of it, and I still don't quite believe it, but I've learned over the years to believe in it, things like that.

#9 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

I don't remember the ballerina, but whoever she was, she was a Bolshoi dancer with her home company on tour at the Met, 1975. I'm tempted to say N. Bessmertnova, but it was a Wednesday Mat., so probably not, but then again, was she yet the prima at that point?

I may have forgotten someone, but I think it was in fact Judith Fugate - in Gabriella Darvash's production for her NYC school. I was in it, harvesting grapes in Act I ...

That was you??? :wink: Seriously, I was there (out front), and remember thinking that, given the opportunities to develop the role, Judy might have become a fine Giselle.

#10 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,346 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

Natalia Makarova with ABT, 1971. Her partner is still dear to my heart, Ivan Nagy.

#11 ivypink

ivypink

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

For me, it was Baryshnikov and Gelsey Kirkland. And it was my first time seeing live ballet, ever. It was wonderful.

#12 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:26 AM

I'm pretty sure it was Makarova, c 1980, with Alexander Godunov in Chicago. Prior to that, as ABT would come usually for 2 weeks out of the year then, if I could only afford a single ticket, I would go to see "Swan Lake" as my reasoning was that I could see lots of dancers for the value of the ticket, and I didn't want to buy multiple cheap tickets but rather one really good one, so I had seen Makarova before, but I'm pretty sure I also wanted to see Godunov.

#13 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:05 AM

Actually I've been so lucky with my Giselles. I've seen Diana Vishneva, Nina Ananiashvilli, and Natalia Osipova. What a great trio of Giselles. :thumbsup:

#14 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

Violette Verdy - The Miami (regional) Ballet circa 1969.
I remember loving her farm girl disposition in ACT I and I swore at the time and for years that Edward Villella jeted over the heads of the Wilis to exit in Act II.

#15 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

Ferri with Bocca circa 1993 -- it was a sublime experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):