This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Your first live Giselle......do you remember her...?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

Toumanova was certainly a real beauty.[...] She was my first Giselle...

The above quote from atm711 made me curious about finding out if some of you would remember who was your first Giselle-(live I mean...)-for which in my case it is an unforgettable image. (Miss Lourdes Novoa :P , ex CNB's dancer and former wife of Jose Manuel Carreno).

So.. [size=3]Who was your first live Giselle...?[/size] :wink:

#2 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

Martine Van Hammel with ABT, she was great.

#3 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

Toumanova was certainly a real beauty.[...] She was my first Giselle...

The above quote from atm711 made me curious about finding out if some of you would remember who was your first Giselle-(live I mean...)-for which in my case it is an unforgettable image. (Miss Lourdes Novoa :P , ex CNB's dancer and former wife of Jose Manuel Carreno).

So.. [size=3]Who was your first live Giselle...?[/size] :wink:

Carla Fracci -- she was divine. It was at ABT many years ago with Eric Bruhn. The experience goes along with Fonteyn/Nureyev in Romeo & Juliet. I was a teen and cried at both.

BTW I don't go to see story ballets anymore, with the exception of Sleeping Beauty (because there is so much dancing). Wow way off topic - sorry.

#4 canbelto

canbelto

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

Diana Vishneva with Vladimir Malakhov. Still maybe one of the most memorable nights of ballet in my life. :wink:

#5 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

I may have forgotten someone, but I think it was in fact Judith Fugate - in Gabriella Darvash's production for her NYC school. I was in it, harvesting grapes in Act I and I'd watch Act II with Judy - and just as much a student, Moira Dorsey, as Myrtha. To this day no one can came close to how I recall her jump.

#6 DanceActress

DanceActress

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:24 PM

Nina Ananiashvili with the Bolshoi- divine.

#7 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

Ballet Theatre, Lupe Serrano, during a visit home from school.

My experience of the full-evening classics up to that time had been limited to a few early Ballet Theater Swan Lakes, so I didn't know what to expect. I just knew that Giselle was a classic. I remember a smallish stage (a regular theater, not the old Met) and a rather creaky and (to me) old-fashioned Act I. But I was bowled over by the unexpected beauty. mystery, and pathos of Act II.

#8 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:11 PM

Without rummaging through old programs -- not sure I have it anyway -- I think mine was Carla Fracci with Ivan Nagy, and ABT. "Lighter than air", ethereal, couldn't believe it, "but you're seeing it", I told myself... (It would be decades before I would encounter the term, cognitive disconnect.) I'm sure there were bits that went past me, it was early in my experience, but I can still see some of it, and I still don't quite believe it, but I've learned over the years to believe in it, things like that.

#9 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:57 PM

I don't remember the ballerina, but whoever she was, she was a Bolshoi dancer with her home company on tour at the Met, 1975. I'm tempted to say N. Bessmertnova, but it was a Wednesday Mat., so probably not, but then again, was she yet the prima at that point?

I may have forgotten someone, but I think it was in fact Judith Fugate - in Gabriella Darvash's production for her NYC school. I was in it, harvesting grapes in Act I ...

That was you??? :wink: Seriously, I was there (out front), and remember thinking that, given the opportunities to develop the role, Judy might have become a fine Giselle.

#10 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,505 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:13 PM

Natalia Makarova with ABT, 1971. Her partner is still dear to my heart, Ivan Nagy.

#11 ivypink

ivypink

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

For me, it was Baryshnikov and Gelsey Kirkland. And it was my first time seeing live ballet, ever. It was wonderful.

#12 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,935 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:26 AM

I'm pretty sure it was Makarova, c 1980, with Alexander Godunov in Chicago. Prior to that, as ABT would come usually for 2 weeks out of the year then, if I could only afford a single ticket, I would go to see "Swan Lake" as my reasoning was that I could see lots of dancers for the value of the ticket, and I didn't want to buy multiple cheap tickets but rather one really good one, so I had seen Makarova before, but I'm pretty sure I also wanted to see Godunov.

#13 canbelto

canbelto

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:05 AM

Actually I've been so lucky with my Giselles. I've seen Diana Vishneva, Nina Ananiashvilli, and Natalia Osipova. What a great trio of Giselles. :thumbsup:

#14 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:27 AM

Violette Verdy - The Miami (regional) Ballet circa 1969.
I remember loving her farm girl disposition in ACT I and I swore at the time and for years that Edward Villella jeted over the heads of the Wilis to exit in Act II.

#15 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

Ferri with Bocca circa 1993 -- it was a sublime experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):