• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:27 AM

Being a huge fan of waltzes has made me love certain sections of given ballet scores. Tchaikovsky's "Big Three" all have beautiful ones...(my # 1 favorite being the # 2 number in Act I of the '77 Swan Lake score: "Waltz: Tempo di Valse" ). Minkus also seems to had been a fan-("Bayadere","DQ") . Are you also fond of them?

[size=3]What's your favorite "ballet waltz"...? [/size] :flowers:

#2 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:38 AM

Black Swan Waltz (although I don't think it's called that), that's like pure Champagne. And all the Ravel Waltzes in Balanchine's and Ashton's 'La Valse' (they both have 'La Valse', but Balanchine's also has 'Valses Nobles et Sentimentales'.)

#3 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:57 AM

And all the Ravel Waltzes in Balanchine's and Ashton's 'La Valse'...

Oh, Patrick...glad you reminded me of B's ballets!. (How did I skip him...?) Glinka's "Valse Fantaisie" is also right there all the way on top! :) (been playing it lately a lot while driving.. :wub: )

#4 DanceActress

DanceActress

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

The Sleeping Beauty waltz and the Valse Lente from Sylvia. And the Liebeslieder Walzer. Impossible to only pick one ballet waltz :) !

#5 duffster

duffster

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

I have always loved the waltz in the middle of Tudor's Lilac Garden, it was very inspiring to dance to it. My other favorites are in Mr. B's Raymonda Variations (at the beginning of the ballet) and the pas des fiancees in Act 3 of Swan Lake.

#6 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

Ashton's "Voices of Spring" waltz.

#7 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:31 AM

If I have to pick only one, it's Delibes' "Naîla" waltz, whether it's choreographed, or just used as an entr'acte.

#8 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:26 AM

Rosenkavalier section of Vienna Waltzes......

#9 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:09 AM

The "Vot tak surpriz" waltz and chorus from Tschaikovsky's opera "Eugene Onegin." It's not strictly a ballet waltz, although John Taras made a lovely dance for some SAB students to it way back in 1981 for a Tschaikovsky Festival group effort called "Tempo di Valse."

Once you hear it you just can't get it out of your brain. Dum DA di dum dum, dum dum dum da da da da da ... now I'll be humming it for hours and might even attempt a swirl or two on my way to the kitchen for another cup of coffee.

#10 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:19 AM

Rosencavalier section of Vienna Waltzes......

Have to admit that's pretty irresistible, all long white gloves and the rest. I much prefer it in this environment than in the opera, which I find an irritating and contrived work despite the music. Here. it's as if the Johann Strauss and Lehar waltzes find their fulfillment in the Rosenkavalier, and you don't even have to think of Octavian.

#11 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

o Christian, this is IMPOSSIBLE! How to choose!!!

But here goes -- to actually dance to, there's nothing that tops Invitation to the Waltz (Spectre de la Rose) --it makes you want to fly, you just get carried away on it. The spring is in the music,

To hear, or to see in the theater, the waltz from Serenade sweeps me up. it's so beautiful.

#12 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

The Waltx from Serenade is divine. Darci was totally inside this music the several times I saw her do it.

#13 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

I second Juliet's Rosenkavalier Waltz, but I also love, more than any of the other waltzes in Liebeslieder (what a rich vein of waltzes there!) the slow "pushing" waltz in Part I currently danced by Wendy Whelan plus one, the duet with the backbends.

#14 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

O yes, that is gorgeous!
Delibes is unbelievably beautiful.
So is the slow waltz from Sylvia, the kind of thing you have to call ravishing

(Comes after the intermezzo on that clip, about one minute into it)

If I have to pick only one, it's Delibes' "Naîla" waltz, whether it's choreographed, or just used as an entr'acte.

#15 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

There are some lovely suggestions already, but my personal favourites are the waltz from the 1st act of Raymonda, and the one at the very end of the Nutcracker (so not the waltz of the flowers). :sweatingbullets:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):