This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yvonne Borree's farewell

I'm going to keep my remarks short as I'm sure many BT folks were there this afternoon.

It was a wonderful afternoon. Yvonne looked gorgeous and danced very well -- especially in Duo Concertant (I saw her first performance in this ballet many years ago).

The house gave her a rousing, and very long standing ovation (so nice!).

As is NYCB's custom, Yvonne was showered with bouquets and single flowers from all the NYCB principals.

Starting it off was Peter Boal (nice surprise!) and Damien Woetzel (who was sitting right near me. In fact, dozens of dancers were

up in the first ring watching all three performances). Damien brought Yvonne a red, paper heart (think "Steadfast Tin Soldier").

It was just lovely.

Damian's presentation of the heart a la Steadfast Tin Soldier was a great idea. Borree danced well and seemed nearly overcome with emotion at certain points during the performance. She's had her share of problems on stage in recent years, but I certainly wish her well. I remember reading an interview she gave a few years ago in which she explained that one of her happiest and most exciting assignments at NYCB was when she was partnered with Misha in Duo Concertante. That ballet has special meaning for her. Millipied looked renewed and energized in the third movement of BSQ. His performances in recent times have run hot and cold. Kowrowski danced with abandon in the final movement.

This was my first viewing of Estancia. It was very creative and the choreography was interesting, particularly the sections with the horses. Some of Wheeldon's movements for the horses reminded me of the stances used by the men who portrayed horses in a production of Equus I saw on Broadway in the fall of 2009 (with Daniel Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths). I also liked the pdd for Tyler and Tiler.

Damian's presentation of the heart a la Steadfast Tin Soldier was a great idea. Borree danced well and seemed nearly overcome with emotion at certain points during the performance. She's had her share of problems on stage in recent years, but I certainly wish her well. I remember reading an interview she gave a few years ago in which she explained that one of her happiest and most exciting assignments at NYCB was when she was partnered with Misha in Duo Concertante. That ballet has special meaning for her. Millipied looked renewed and energized in the third movement of BSQ. His performances in recent times have run hot and cold. Kowrowski danced with abandon in the final movement.

This was my first viewing of Estancia. It was very creative and the choreography was interesting, particularly the sections with the horses. Some of Wheeldon's movements for the horses reminded me of the stances used by the men who portrayed horses in a production of Equus I saw on Broadway in the fall of 2009 (with Daniel Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths). I also liked the pdd for Tyler and Tiler.

Re: horses. Agreed, Abatt! Also, I bet that Chris has seen "War Horse" in London (coming to Broadway either in the fall or spring 2010. Don't miss it! It's that great) more than once. Many of the horse movements (especially Andrew Veyette's and Gina Pazoguin's) remind me of those in "War Horse."