This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

OCPAC Dance Season 2010-2011

I found this on the Ardani Artists page, I don't believe OCPAC has put out a release of their own yet.

Center’s International Dance Series Features Leading Companies and Artists in Exclusive Engagements and

World and American Premieres

Season features world premiere collaboration with Bolshoi Ballet, first visit by legendary Royal Danish Ballet in 15 years and world’s leading dance stars in Tour de Force II.

Plus the return of Tango Buenos Aires, Eifman Ballet of St. Petersburg and Alicia Alonso’s National Ballet of Cuba

COSTA MESA, CA – The Orange County Performing Arts Center’s 2011 Dance Series will feature five acclaimed companies, each the definitive interpreter of its unique style of dance, in an unrivaled season that includes World and American Premieres, exclusive engagements and prestigious productions created by the Center.

The season opens with the passion and precision of Tango from the world's most acclaimed and authentic tango company, Tango Buenos Aires. In a world premiere collaboration with the Bolshoi Ballet, Reflections will showcase the latest generation of phenomenal talent from the legendary Bolshoi. The famed Royal Danish Ballet, the place where the Bournonville style was born and continues to flourish, will offer the lightness, grace and elegance that are the hallmarks of this great tradition. With the National Ballet of Cuba we see how the legacy of the great prima ballerina Alicia Alonzo lives on with her perfectly-trained company from Havana and its uniquely Cuban style of ballet. The inventive imagination of Boris Eifman is brought to life by the extraordinary company of dazzlingly dramatic dancers he has created in the Eifman Ballet of St. Petersburg.

After the spectacular success of the inaugural Tour de Force in 2009, the Center will produce an entirely new dance gala with Tour de Force II. It will be a one-night-only celebration of unrivaled artistry to thrill dance fans.

The Center’s 2010-2011 International Dance Series is made possible by The Audrey Steele Burnand Endowed Fund for Dance with additional support from Jane and Jim Driscoll and the Segerstrom Foundation Endowment for Great Performances.

2010 – 2011 International Dance Series

Tango Buenos Aires

January 14 – 16, 2011 in Segerstrom Hall

Tango Buenos Aires has become one of Argentina’s greatest cultural treasures, known throughout the Americas, Europe and the Far East as the most authentic and uncompromising representative of the Tango. With rapid rhythms and flawless synchronization, leading dancers and musicians from Argentina trace the history of this sultry and invigorating art form in an intoxicating program titled “Fire and Passion of Tango.” The Washington Post raves, “DAZZLING…the dancers boast skill and attitude in equal measure; and the musicians rock.”

The Fire and Passion of Tango – An insider’s look at the evolution of Tango

Reflections – Bolshoi Ballet Partnership| World premiere

January 20 – 23, 2011 in Segerstrom Hall

Center audiences have seen the Bolshoi dancers ignite the stage before, but they have never seen them like this. Reflections will showcase the unrivaled Bolshoi artistry like never before. The Center partners with the famed Bolshoi Ballet to continue its tradition of presenting world premiere dance events that showcase today’s most acclaimed dancers and choreographers. The Center is proud to present Bolshoi-trained dancers Maria Kochetkova of the San Francisco Ballet, Yekaterina Krysanova, Natalia Osipova and Yekaterina Shipulina of the Bolshoi Ballet, Olga Malinovskaya of the Ballet Estonia and Polina Semionova of the Berlin Staatsoper Ballet plus special guest appearances by Bolshoi stars Alexander Volchkov, Viacheslav Lopatin, Denis Savin and Ivan Vasiliev. World premiere pieces will be created for this dance event by famed choreographers Mauro Bigonzetti, Wayne McGregor, Karole Armitage, Lucinda Childs and Yury Possokhov. The program also features works by Nacho Duato, Susan Marshall and George Balanchine.

Part I – Remansos by Nacho Duato

Part II – works by Karole Armitage*, George Balanchine, Aszure Barton, Lucinda Childes*, Wayne McGregor*, Susan Marshall, Wayne McGregor*, Yury Possokhov*

Part III – FIVE by Mauro Bigonzetti*

* = world premiere

Co-production by the Orange County Performing Arts Center and The State Academic Bolshoi Theatre of Russia in association with Ardani Artists.

Eifman Ballet of St. Petersburg | Southern California Premiere

April 26 – 29, 2011 in Segerstrom Hall

For its sixth visit to the Center, the Eifman Ballet of St. Petersburg returns with the Southern California premiere of the company’s Don Quixote. Artistic Director and Choreographer Boris Eifman is known for creating original dance and theatrical adventures, utilizing classical ballet infused with the spirit of contemporary choreography. Eifman has added new twists and inventive takes to Don Quixote,which is based on an episode from Cervantes’ novel Don Quixote de la Mancha. The Los Angeles Times calls Boris Eifman’s creations “dynamic, theatrical, visionary works that delve into characters’ lives in the most exciting, probing, titillating, and wondrous ways.”

Don Quixote - Boris Eifman takes a new look at this most famous Russian ballet

Royal Danish Ballet| Exclusive Southern California Engagement - 5 American Premieres!

May 24, 25, 27 – 29, 2011 in Segerstrom Hall

For the first time in 15 years, the Royal Danish Ballet returns to the Orange County Performing Arts Center. Under the helm of its new artistic director, Nicolaj Hübbe, the Company will bring five American premieres created for the Royal Danish by renowned Nordic choreographers Kim Brandstrup, Johan Kobborg, Pontus Linberg and Jorma Uotinen as well as a beautiful new production of Napoli byHübbe. With a revered history dating back to 1748, the Company is steeped in the great dance tradition and style of August Bournonville, but as it heads into the future, it is taking a fresh and bold approach to the classics. Dance magazine proclaimed Hübbe’s new production of Napoli, which received its American premiere at the Center, “a TRIUMPH!”

Program I: May 24, 25

Nordic Choreography Project – A unique program of new works created by four great Nordic choreographers: Kim Brandstrup, Johan Kobborg, Pontus Linberg and Jorma Uotinen

Program II: May 27-29

Napoli - The company performs one of August Bournonville’s most beloved comic ballets in a brand new production by artistic director Nicolaj Hübbe

National Ballet of Cuba

June 14 – 19, 2011 in Segerstrom Hall

In its two previous appearances at the Center, this remarkable, internationally acclaimed company dazzled audiences. The National Ballet of Cuba returns with a special program called The Magic of Dance, with beloved scenes from classic works that include Swan Lake, Giselle, Coppélia, The Sleeping Beauty and more. Founded by legendary prima ballerina Alicia Alonso, the Company has produced many of the world’s greatest dancers noted for their virtuosity and charm. “Brilliant dancers seem to be the norm in the Ballet Nacional de Cuba, which regularly produces international stars,” notes The New York Times.

The Magic of Dance - Classic scenes from Swan Lake, Giselle, Coppélia, The Sleeping Beauty and more.

Bonus Event

Tour de Force II

April 28, 2011 in Segerstrom Hall

Tour de Force II follows in the illustrious footsteps of the inaugural Tour de Force in 2009. This gala evening of spectacular dance features some of the world’s reigning dance superstars performing a program of beloved classics and contemporary works. The Orange County Register called Tour de Force “an effervescent evening of unforgettable excellence” and “… on a scale of 1 to 10, Tour de Force easily rates an 11.” Tour de Force II will be another evening of astonishing dance and an experience to remember for a lifetime.

Artists scheduled to perform include Bernice Coppieters, Natalia Osipova, Tiler Peck, Polina Semionova,

Diana Vishneva, Guillaume Cote, Marcelo Gomes, David Hallberg, Joaquin De Luz, Giuseppe Picone,

Gil Roman, Ivan Vasiliev and special guest Savion Glover. Plus members of the Eifman Ballet of St. Petersburg and Cirque de Krakatuk.

Why, oh, why another run of another version of Don Quixote?!?!

I'm a little perturbed by the absence of ABT (I can't remember last time they were excluded from a season) and the Mariinksy (usually the Bolshoi and Mariinsky switch off years and this would be the Mariinsky's year on). Maybe they will be included in the full release from OCPAC and these are only the people associated with Ardani Artists. I was also hoping for La Sylphide from the RDB, but oh well.

Seriously! I want to ask why they are calling it the 2010-2011 season if there are no actual dates in 2010.

And, really, where is ABT? I was almost certain they had an agreement with them for yearly performances, I can't imagine what would have changed that. I hope the (somewhat) poor selling Giselle run didn't make either party get cold feet.

Please forgive my REALLY somewhat huffy-nose in the air observation...but I can't seem to shake this impression...Orange County is not known as a prominent ballet center. And dancers along with their companies..know this. To risk injury in a obscure venue...... The Bolshois were in So. Cal. earlier this year and I was going to go..but two of the dancers I would consider seeing....cancelled. And another Company is staging yet again one more DonQ. :sweatingbullets:

Someone needs to take me by the shoulders..give me a good shak'in..and prove me wrong.

If we were San Francisco.....

Humm..would I compalin is another company were staging another Giselle?

Ohmygoodness; grim indeed. Each year gets worse. I keep telling myself I should cancel my subscriptions, but one of them is in the First Tier, row I and on the outside edge. Our seats are so great that sometimes we go just to enjoy THEM. Iczerman makes an excellent point: attendance is horrible.

Giannina

Please forgive my REALLY somewhat huffy-nose in the air observation...but I can't seem to shake this impression...Orange County is not known as a prominent ballet center. And dancers along with their companies..know this. To risk injury in a obscure venue...... The Bolshois were in So. Cal. earlier this year and I was going to go..but two of the dancers I would consider seeing....cancelled.

Well, no, Orange County is not exactly the dance hotbed of the world, but the Center has drawn big acts here for many years - compared to most places in the US we have been fairly lucky to see almost every year ABT, the Bolshoi or the Mariinsky, and other big companies (the Royal, BNC, etc). However, I think a change must have been made in whoever runs the dance bookings...the seasons have definitely changed direction over the course of the last two years and I think that almost certainly ties in with their apparently cozy association with Ardani Artists (beginning with the Kings of Dance and Diana Vishneva's Beauty in Motion).

Also re: Bolshoi dancers not appearing, Zakharova had a hip injury and Alexandrova had a family emergency preventing their appearances - I think it would be quite rare to find a dancer so smug they would refuse leading performances like that especially when they both have appeared at the Center previously, numerous times. To suggest otherwise is implying Zakharova and Alexandrova are extremely unprofessional, and they are not.

. . . Well, no, Orange County is not exactly the dance hotbed of the world, but the Center has drawn big acts here for many years - compared to most places in the US we have been fairly lucky to see almost every year ABT, the Bolshoi or the Mariinsky, and other big companies (the Royal, BNC, etc). . . .

Over on the Osipova-mugging thread, Cygnet pointed out how unattractive the LA Music Center area gets after dark. I'd add that parking is ludicrously expensive there, with no safe and cheap alternatives and no serious public transportation. OCPAC draws from San Diego & LA Counties, as well as Orange County. People can make a nice day of it with a stop across the street at South Coast Plaza (which seems to tolerate massive free parking from OCPAC attendees, judging from the throngs streaming over to South Coast after every performance). No metropolitan area is completely safe, but I'll take OCPAC's neighbhood over LA's anyday on that score. And OCPAC has a magnificant theatre with great sightlines everywhere.

Having said that, however, the programs touring companies bring to both LA and OCPAC seem to reflect their assumption that we wouldn't appreciate sophisticated programming, so they play it safe...too safe, as with all those Giselles. (Maryinsky brought a week of Giselle's too, in fall 2008).

San Francisco Ballet brought some very nice mixed bills to OCPAC a couple of years ago and the houses looked nearly full to me. I'm disappointed they're not returning this year. The trek to San Francisco is not insignificant and their cluster approach to programming makes it impossible to see more than two programs on one trip, even on a long weekend.

Having said that, however, the programs touring companies bring to both LA and OCPAC seem to reflect their assumption that we wouldn't appreciate sophisticated programming, so they play it safe...too safe, as with all those Giselles. (Maryinsky brought a week of Giselle's too, in fall 2008).

I wouldn't say this is limited to only our area though, companies try to play it safe when they tour and the audience suffers. Even London gets stuck with this - last year every touring company brought their own Swan Lake there, even when the Royal had a run of like 25 SLs during their season. I mean that is dismal, and London IS a big dance city.

Also re: Bolshoi dancers not appearing, Zakharova had a hip injury and Alexandrova had a family emergency preventing their appearances - I think it would be quite rare to find a dancer so smug they would refuse leading performances like that especially when they both have appeared at the Center previously, numerous times. To suggest otherwise is implying Zakharova and Alexandrova are extremely unprofessional, and they are not.

Thank you ksk04 for pointing that out..I consider myself corrected!

A story in the LA Times today about the Bolshoi "Reflections" program at OCPAC January 20-23:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-ocpac-bolshoi-20110109,0,5444155.story

The story includes more programming information than I've seen to date:

"Five custom-made solos and one duet form the main attraction of "Reflections," a full evening of ballet that includes three other group works. The commissioned choreographers form an elite international corps. Drastic modernist Karole Armitage, minimalist Lucinda Childs and Canadian-born Aszure Barton are New Yorkers. Jorma Elo, a native Finn, choreographs for the Boston Ballet. From the Old World come Wayne McGregor of the Royal Ballet in London and Italy-born Renato Zanella, former director of the Vienna State Ballet. Each ballerina chose her own choreographer for collaboration. . .

"The group works include a Bigonzetti premiere, "CINQUE," incorporating humor into a Vivaldi score. Spaniard Nacho Duato, longtime director of Compañia Nacional de Danza de España and the newly appointed director of St. Petersburg's Mikhailovsky Theater, contributes a revised trio version of his 1997 "Remansos." The sole vestige of neoclassicism is George Balanchine's 1955 "Pas de Trois," set to Glinka with restored costumes by Karinska, New York City Ballet's great Russian-expat tutu maven."

I still can't figure out if they're doing the same program at all four performances or varying things somewhat from performance to performance.

Locals might know that OCPAC has a Friends groups with perks that include some open dress rehearsals during the year. A few months ago, they told me they were planning on an open rehearsal with the Bolshoi group later this month. When I didn't receive a notification of the date, I contacted them to find out when that would be. Alas, no open rehearsal for the Bolshoi visit, but they are planning open rehearsals for the visits of the National Ballet of Cuba and Royal Danish Ballet in late spring. Big disappointment!

In checking their on-line ordering system, it looks like plenty of cheap seats are still available at all four performances. Still no programming or casting information for the four performances, though. It's hard to imagine they will do the entire rep at all four or that all the dancers will dance at all four.

http://www.ocpac.org/home/Events/EventDetail.aspx?EventID=1064&NavID=82

I doubt the entire rep will be performed every night; I'm guessing (since they are modeling after Kings of Dance) it will be a rotational thing in order to include all the women each night--the solos will be different each night depending on who is doing the Pas de Trois, etc. This is how the Kings did it with The Lesson and their solos, so everyone got a bit of solo stage time and everyone got to do the "meatier" part once a tour stop. Who knows though?

The only way I'm thinking we will find out ahead of time is if OCPAC scans in the program ahead of the show, as they did with the Bolshoi last year (very helpful when they do this!).

I'm going to opening night so I'll be happy to pass on the info if you are going to one of the weekend shows.

More details have been published about the program:

from the Orange County Register:

http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/dancers-284175-bolshoi-danilian.html

from the Los Angeles Times:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-ocpac-bolshoi-20110109,0,5444155.story

from the Center's on-line Revue:

http://www.scfta.org/revue/0111/revue-0111-ballet.html

For such an ambitious program, it's too bad it will only be seen in Orange County and Moscow!

I saw mention somewhere about rotating casts in one of the pieces, but can't seem to find that back. (I'm planning to go to a few performances, so I assume I'll see them all at some point.)

Here is some better info on the casting and how the program will run (maybe this is the piece you saw before, California?):

Armitage has created a duet for Krysanova and Savin called "Fractus," which is set to music by Rhys Chatham. Childs created "Book of Harmony," a solo for Malinovskaya, who will alternate performances with Stashkevich. The piece uses the music of John Adams.

Currently the resident choreographer at Boston Ballet, Jorma Elo has brought his Northern European modernism to bear on the solo he created for Kochetkova, who is the only ballerina to dance in the U.S. full time. The piece, "One Overture," is set to music by H.I. Biber and Mozart.

Aszure Barton has created a solo for Shipulina, to Tchaikovsky, while Renato Zanella has adapted his 1995 work, "Strauss incontra Verdi," for Semionova.

And British choreographer Wayne McGregor has created a physically challenging duet for Osipova and Lopatin.

The program will open with Nacho Duato's "Remansos," a ballet for three couples. Two sets of couples will alternate performances through the four-day engagement.

In the second section, the ballerinas will perform the works created specially for them. This section will close with Balanchine's "Pas de Trois."

Bigonzetti's new work, "Cinque," will close the evening. The 45-minute ballet is set to concertos and sonatas by Vivaldi.

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_17089172