This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Philip Neal Farewell 6/13/2010Will any Ballet Talkers be there?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Sara

Sara

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

I am delighted to hear that Philip is appreciated as much as he deserves; he is not only an incredible dancer (still) but an incredible teacher as well. Very self-effacing, knowledgeable and inspiring which is rare among such a high level of dancer and teacher. In addition, he is an incredibly refined, kind yet gracious human being as well. I think all these qualities mark his dancing and define him as the ultimate Balanchine cavalier-- fastidious, noble and gracious in light of his extreme beauty and ability.

#17 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

Starting this season, Philip Neal is doing all pre-performance talks and q&a for MCB's performances in West Palm Beach.

Based on Program I this weekend, Mr. Neal seems to have been a very good choice. Neal has danced two of the works on the program -- Square Dance, Afternoon of a Faun -- in the company for which they were created. He watched Wheeldon working with Wendy Whelan and Jock Soto on Lliturgy. He has observed Twyla Tharp at the barre and in rehearsal, and knows what she thinks about the way MCB dancers perform her work.

Neal knows his stuff in a way that only an insider can know something. He doesn't need a script. He can spin fascinating (but relevant) stories about the piece and about how dancers have adanced it. He illustrates his comments with movement. And, best of all, he communicates a real and touching passion for the art of ballet -- and for its future at MCB.

I've seen all 4 works on Program I numerous times. But I saw them differently as a result of a couple of Neal's comments. Sometimes these points were rather small, like one of his observations about Twyla Tharp's use of backward jogging in In the Upper Room. When walking back to my car after the performance, I actually found myself jogging backwards, with sudden 90-degree changes of direction, head bobbles, loose torso, and arms pumping. Neal said that running backwards is good practice for landing from a jump. So I tried it. And he was was right. Posted Image

#18 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

Neal said that running backwards is good practice for landing from a jump. So I tried it. And he was was right. Posted Image

...gotta try that, bart..! Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):