This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Philip Neal Farewell 6/13/2010Will any Ballet Talkers be there?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:47 AM

I really enjoyed reading about all the Ballet Talkers getting to meet each other at the Alicia Alonso Birthday Gala. It made me wonder if any of you will be at the Philip Neal Farewell. It would be great to meet other Ballet Talkers before the ballet or during the intermissions or whatever. If it's before, a good meeting place would be the new public space in back of the Met, by the reflecting pool. I've hung out there a few times already this season, and it's so comfortable and cool. I'm usually pretty easy to spot. I'll be the middle aged woman with short red hair wearing a baseball cap.

Anyway, I'm really excited about the program (though I hate to see Neal retire). I'm not excited about Call Me Ben (I've seen one Melissa Barack ballet and the best thing I can say about it was that it was forgettable). But the rest of the program looks just sensational.

Let me know if any of you will be attending the Neal Farewell.

#2 E Johnson

E Johnson

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

The program has been changed for this performance. The new Barak -- Call Me Ben -- has been dropped for Chaconne, which is now closing the perfromance instead of Who Cares. Neal is dancing all three ballets. Here is the casting:

SUNDAY MATINEE, JUNE 13, 3 PM
PHILIP NEAL FAREWELL PERFORMANCE

SERENADE: Ringer, M. Fairchild, Mearns, Neal, la Cour [Conductor: Karoui]
intermission
WHO CARES?: Neal, *Whelan/T. Peck, Somogyi/Scheller, *Kowroski/Hyltin [Conductor: Otranto; Solo piano: McDill]
intermission
CHACONNE: Whelan, Neal, Pereira, Hendrickson, Muller, Bar, Scordato, Zungre, Arthurs, Applebaum, Hankes, Peiffer

#3 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

Wow. That's terrific. The best program all season.

#4 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

The program has been changed for this performance. The new Barak -- Call Me Ben -- has been dropped for Chaconne, which is now closing the perfromance instead of Who Cares. Neal is dancing all three ballets. Here is the casting:

intermission
WHO CARES?: Neal, *Whelan/T. Peck, Somogyi/Scheller, *Kowroski/Hyltin [Conductor: Otranto; Solo piano: McDill]
intermission
CHACONNE: Whelan, Neal, Pereira, Hendrickson, Muller, Bar, Scordato, Zungre, Arthurs, Applebaum, Hankes, Peiffer

Interesting casting for Who Cares? Does this mean that Neal will do the duets with the senior ballerinas (all of whom he's partnered, no?) with the junior ballerinas taking the solos? I'm thrilled that I'll get one last look at Neal in "Chaconne" ... but it's gonna make me cry. He's always been a favorite of mine.

#5 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,330 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

If it's in the order of appearance, it would be Whelan/Neal in "The Man I Love", Somogyi in "I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise", Kowrowski/Neal in "Embraceable You", Tiler Peck in "Fascinatin' Rhythm", Scheller/Neal in "Who Cares?" and Hyltin in "My One and Only".

#6 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:03 AM

My thoughts about who'll be dancing what in Who Cares are the same as yours, Helene. Who Cares was on the program the first time I attended a NYCB performance. It was February of 1980. Patricia McBride danced an unforgettable "Fascinatin'
Rhythm" that has stayed in my mind's eye all these years. I can't wait to see Tiler Peck do that solo. I will really miss Philip Neal as a dancer with NYCB, but his farewell is shaping up to be one of the best ever (right up there with Jock Soto's farewell).

#7 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:09 AM

I just looked at the online casting for Sunday's performance. I think I was somewhat wrong about who will be dancing what.
The only difference is that I think Jennie will be dancing "Embraceable You" with Philip, and Ana Sophia will dance "My One and Only." Maria K. will dance "Who Cares" with Philip, and Sterling will dance "Stairway to Paradise." I think that's what it is, but with so many ballerinas in one performance it's a bit confusing.

Again, I'm really looking forward to Sunday.

#8 E Johnson

E Johnson

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

And th casting has been changed:

intermission
WHO CARES?: R. Fairchild, T. Peck, Scheller, Hyltin [Conductor: Otranto; Solo piano: McDill]
intermission
CHACONNE: Whelan, Neal, Pereira, Hendrickson, Muller, Bar, Scordato, Zungre, Arthurs, Applebaum, Hankes, Peiffer (Conductor: Otranto)

#9 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:49 AM

The Neal Farewell was wonderful. He is retiring too soon. Hie is still a remarkable dancer. He reminded us of how wonderful he is as a partner yesterday, too, in a luminous performance of Serenade w. Ringer. He made Wendy look like she was floating in Chaconne. Thanks for the memories, Phillip.

I have to also comment on Who Cares, which Neal did not appear in. Tiler Peck was incredible. Even though I've seen the Fascinatin Rhythm section at least 15 times in the last 10 years or so, she showed me facets of the choreography I never really observed or focused on before. She gave a marvelous performance. It was like I was seeing this ballet for the first time. Robert Fairchild was also quite wonderful. Scheller made an error in the footwork of her solo.

I had the pleasure of meeting ballet talker Colleen Boresta during intermission.

#10 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:51 AM

I was so glad they dumped "Call Me Ben", at least for this farewell performance, and replaced it with Who Cares? I was planning on catching up some reading between the intermissions. Philip Neal used to dance the part that Robert Fairchild danced yesterday, it's kind of symbolic hand over to the next genernation of dancers. I agree Neal retired too soon, he's still in top form. All three performances are wonderful all around.

#11 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:28 AM

As a subscriber, I received a letter in the mail notifying me that at the request of Philip Neal, Call Me Ben was eliminated from the program and replaced so that all of the ballets on the program were closely associated with Philip's tenure at NYCB. The letter also advised that if subscribers want to exchage their tickets because of the change, they are free to do so. I laughed out loud when I read that. I want to send Phillip a personal thank you note for changing the program!

#12 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:30 PM

I just want to say that it was great meeting Ballet Talkers Abatt, NY Susan and Volcanohunter at the Philip Neal Farwell yesterday. I always look forward to reading their posts, so talking to them was just wonderful. And the performance was fabulous - all three ballets were memorable. (I will try to post more about them later in the week.) What a class act Philip Neal is. I do agree with the posters who've already said he's retiring too soon. But I think that's better than thinking "When is he (or she) ever going to retire?" (I won't name names with regard to that last question.)

#13 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

Update: according to the Miami City Ballet School's Facebook page, Neal has moved to Palm Beach and is teaching at the School's Summer Intensive. Here's a video interview:

http://www.facebook....v=1244935502258

#14 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

I just want to say that it was great meeting Ballet Talkers Abatt, NY Susan and Volcanohunter at the Philip Neal Farwell yesterday.

I'm posting this belatedly, but I, too, had a great time meeting fellow Ballet Talkers, and I'm only sorry I didn't have more time to talk with them. I took along my aunt with whom I was staying, and our consensus was the same as everyone else's: Philip Neal doesn't look his age, and he certainly looked like he could have kept right on dancing. Like Colleen says, he's a class act. Even when faced with an avalanche of adoration from the audience, he kept it together and found it nearly impossible to take a solo bow. Lord knows Wendy Whelan did her best to give him the spotlight, but he's too much of a cavalier to step in front of his ballerina. It's almost as though it would cause him physical discomfort to upstage her. I don't have many opportunities to see City Ballet live these days, but I've always sought out Neal's performances, and I'll miss him.

#15 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:04 PM

MCB has announced that Neal will be the Palm Beach County liaison for the company.

MIAMI (August 26, 2010) – Philip Neal, an acclaimed dancer, instructor and repetiteur, has been named Palm Beach Community Liaison for Miami City Ballet. Neal will represent the company at fund-raising events and related activities and build awareness of Miami City Ballet’s 2010-11 25th Anniversary Season.

Neal is currently on the faculty of both the Miami City Ballet School and the School of American Ballet. Neal is a repetiteur for both the George Balanchine Trust and the Jerome Robbins Trust, staging the ballets of these landmark choreographers throughout the world.

http://www.miamicity...s.php?NewsID=98

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):