This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Stephane Bullion etoile

Thanks for those links, volcanohunter and silvermash. An interesting as well as an attractive fellow. It's always good to listen to (or read) intelligent dancers.

From the ResMusica.com interview -- I'll bet a lot of other dancers, and other performers in physically challenging jobs, will identify with his first reaction to the question: What do you hope for the future? "Good health for myself and those close to me." I like people with a realistic sense of priorities.

I was wondering what others think of his response (ion my very rough translation) to the question about how he felt about his "consecration" as an etoile.

I don't like the term "consecration." I prefer to think that that nomination is a new starting point. To be named an etoile has never been a big goal for me. I thought that being a soloist was already rather nice. The dividing line between the grade of premier danseur and etoile is slight.
True? Or just a nice thing to say? Is this a common response to the question? (He does go on to say that he hopes to live up to the responsibility, which I assume ALL new etoiles say.)

Well, as far as I can perceive through his career and previous interviews, Mr. Bullion is a rather modest and sincere man.

His way to the top has been rather hectic due to his serious health problems which is driving his way of looking at life probably.

Premier danseur is already a high grade in the company. This is the highest to be reached by a contest (at the end of each year if a position is available) and Premiers danseurs and Etoiles belong to the same “numerus clausus”.

Anyway, since he's fully back, Mr Bullion remained less than 3 years at the Premier Danseur level and he has been dancing all the Etoiles roles already since then (and even before he was Premier Danseur). In fact, he has nearly danced every lead roles the past two years. He probably hasn’t feel the difference that much between the Premier Danseur and Etoile level which might exist for others.

On World Cancer Day, the story of Bullion's own battle against the disease.

Stéphane Bullion entered corps de ballet of the prestigious Opéra National de Paris at the age of 17 years old, all destined for a great career. Unfortunately, six years later, in 2003, he was diagnosed with testicular cancer at an advanced stage that put everything in question. Thanks to his will to live and his inherent need to dance, Stéphane Bullion took his illness head on and fought tirelessly to return to the front of the stage. His intense efforts, the presence of his companions and his fighting spirit were rewarded through his appointment as Danseur Etoile in 2010: a model of hope for all people affected by cancer.

http://aurelie-dupont.tumblr.com/post/38661525877/stephane-bullion-living-normally-for-me-was-dancing

http://aurelie-dupont.tumblr.com/post/43674531992/stephane-bullion-living-normally-for-me-was-dancing

On World Cancer Day, the story of Bullion's own battle against the disease.

Stéphane Bullion entered corps de ballet of the prestigious Opéra National de Paris at the age of 17 years old, all destined for a great career. Unfortunately, six years later, in 2003, he was diagnosed with testicular cancer at an advanced stage that put everything in question. Thanks to his will to live and his inherent need to dance, Stéphane Bullion took his illness head on and fought tirelessly to return to the front of the stage. His intense efforts, the presence of his companions and his fighting spirit were rewarded through his appointment as Danseur Etoile in 2010: a model of hope for all people affected by cancer.

http://aurelie-dupont.tumblr.com/post/38661525877/stephane-bullion-living-normally-for-me-was-dancing

http://aurelie-dupont.tumblr.com/post/43674531992/stephane-bullion-living-normally-for-me-was-dancing

Thank you for these links -- he faced an incredibly difficult challenge and managed to get through it. Extremely impressive.