This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Stephane Bullion etoile

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 silvermash

silvermash

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

After a stunning performance of Solor in La Bayadère, June 2nd, 2010, on the stage of Paris Opéra Garnier, Mr. Stéphane Bullion has been apppointed Etoile by the Director of the Paris Opéra. Congratulations :)

#2 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:36 AM

Congralutations to him!!! :flowers:

#3 DanceActress

DanceActress

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:12 AM

A much-deserved nomination! Felicitations a Monsieur Bullion :flowers:

#4 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

:flowers: to Mr. Bullion!

#5 hydraulix

hydraulix

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

Wow! Congratulations to Mr. Bullion!

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,407 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

Congratulations to Mr. Bullion :flowers:

#7 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

I'm always grateful to quick-thinking people who capture these moments on their cell phones and the like.

Personally, I find this nomination particularly inspiring. I may be wrong, of course, but I'm guessing that Bullion is the first cancer survivor to become an étoile. :flowers:

http://www.cultureki...Bullion367.html

#8 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

For Francophones, here's an interview with Bullion from the French morning news (interrupted pointlessly with info about new CD releases).

http://videos.tf1.fr...ur-5878688.html

#9 hydraulix

hydraulix

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the videos volcanohunter! Very interesting to watch

#10 silvermash

silvermash

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:52 PM

it has been mentioned in the news thread already. Patricia Boccadoro's comments on the event in Culture Kiosque
NUREYEV'S BAYADÈRE CONFIRMS NEW MALE STAR

#11 miliosr

miliosr

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

It should be illegal to be that handsome. :wink:

#12 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

It should be illegal to be that handsome. :wink:

Haven't seen a set of cheekbones like that since Montgomery Clift. All congratulations to M. Bullion. :)

#13 silvermash

silvermash

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:15 AM

For those who can read French, there is an interesting interview Entretien Stéphane Bullion in ResMusica magazine

#14 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:30 AM

Thanks for those links, volcanohunter and silvermash. An interesting as well as an attractive fellow. It's always good to listen to (or read) intelligent dancers.

From the ResMusica.com interview -- I'll bet a lot of other dancers, and other performers in physically challenging jobs, will identify with his first reaction to the question: What do you hope for the future? "Good health for myself and those close to me." I like people with a realistic sense of priorities.

I was wondering what others think of his response (ion my very rough translation) to the question about how he felt about his "consecration" as an etoile.

I don't like the term "consecration." I prefer to think that that nomination is a new starting point. To be named an etoile has never been a big goal for me. I thought that being a soloist was already rather nice. The dividing line between the grade of premier danseur and etoile is slight.

True? Or just a nice thing to say? Is this a common response to the question? (He does go on to say that he hopes to live up to the responsibility, which I assume ALL new etoiles say.)

#15 silvermash

silvermash

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:33 AM

Well, as far as I can perceive through his career and previous interviews, Mr. Bullion is a rather modest and sincere man.
His way to the top has been rather hectic due to his serious health problems which is driving his way of looking at life probably.
Premier danseur is already a high grade in the company. This is the highest to be reached by a contest (at the end of each year if a position is available) and Premiers danseurs and Etoiles belong to the same “numerus clausus”.
Anyway, since he's fully back, Mr Bullion remained less than 3 years at the Premier Danseur level and he has been dancing all the Etoiles roles already since then (and even before he was Premier Danseur). In fact, he has nearly danced every lead roles the past two years. He probably hasn’t feel the difference that much between the Premier Danseur and Etoile level which might exist for others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):