This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Marie Taglioni, the younger?

the attached scan shows what handwriting tells be a "Taglioni" pictured in a cabinet card from Vienna.

also handwritten on the card's back is the year 1874.

according to the International Encyclopedia of Dance, Marie Taglioni, the younger (or 'the second) danced for a while in Vienna where her grandfather, Filippo T. was balletmaster. the IED entry indicates that MT the younger, retired in 1866. perhaps the dating indicates the year the photo was sold? reprinted? or?

as the saying goes: no further information available.

post-848-1275064247_thumb.jpg

A direct inspection of the print would be necessary, but the technology of the carte-de-visite and cabinet card photograph is certainly traceable. The most likely candidate, in my mind, is an albumen-paper print which would have been made from a collodion-process (usually glass-plate) negative which could have been made anytime and anywhere after the invention of the process about 1851. All you would need was the negative and a sensitized paper to make the positive. As long as the negative survives, it's good for making prints. I've made several from some American Civil War glass plates, and the process, whether on original-technology or modern paper, produces photographs of superior sharpness and clarity.

Seeing the photograph like that on the screen, yes, it might possibly be Marie Taglioni II. A closer inspection is needed, though. I have looked through my ancient tomes and think that it must be so. Though, she married a prince Windisch Grätz in 1866 and would then have been more or less forced to retire.

No prince would have had a wife who was a public performer, no matter what type of art. A mistress, yes, but court etiquette had to be adhered to in those days (today as well in royal families :) ).

the attached scan shows what handwriting tells be a "Taglioni" pictured in a cabinet card from Vienna.

also handwritten on the card's back is the year 1874.

according to the International Encyclopedia of Dance, Marie Taglioni, the younger (or 'the second) danced for a while in Vienna where her grandfather, Filippo T. was balletmaster. the IED entry indicates that MT the younger, retired in 1866. perhaps the dating indicates the year the photo was sold? reprinted? or?

as the saying goes: no further information available.

Marie Paul Taglioni is seen here aged 17 (Born 1830) in a hand coloured Lithograph.

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O102676/...mile-signature/

Given that Cabinet photographs of the type illustrated did not appear until c1866, Marie Paul in this example looks exceedingly young.

i have seen a few prints of M-P Taglioni since acquiring this photo.

the most 'detailed' is one of her i've found is one showing her costumed for Satanella in Miguel's ROMANTIC BALLET PRINTS and there are facial similarities, tho' with prints, it's hard to know how much is observation and how much poetic license, or artistic ineptitude.

thanks to all for taking time to look and compare.

I'm curious about the photographer. What I think I make out of the name is Aärfe. Is that anywhere near correct, rg?

The photograph is taken by the Atelier Adele of Vienna which was founded n 1862 by Adèle & Max & Wilhelm Perlmutter-Heilperin. Adele Perlmutter-Heilperin who were photographers to the Austrian Imperial Court from 1890. There was at some time an additional photographer I.Boris and the studio was active from 1862 to 1905.

At the bottom of the card it reads Adele Wien.

You can see a photograph of the founder at:- http://www.picturehistory.com/product/id/27448

OK, here's the kicker - Marie-Paul married Prince Joseph zu Windisch-Graetz, and one of her great-nieces, Princess Stephanie zu Windisch-Graetz (b. 1939) is a recognized professional photographer today. Her work often features shots made with rather low light levels, contrary to the technology used to produce our subject cabinet photo.

OK, here's the kicker - Marie-Paul married Prince Joseph zu Windisch-Graetz, and one of her great-nieces, Princess Stephanie zu Windisch-Graetz (b. 1939) is a recognized professional photographer today. Her work often features shots made with rather low light levels, contrary to the technology used to produce our subject cabinet photo.

Which takes us back to the subject of a ballet as H.S.H. Princess Stephanie of Windisch-Graetz is the great, great granddaughter of Archduke Rudoph of Hapsburg, who died in Maryerling in 1889.