This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Boulder Ballet has just announce their free Ballet in the Park series for June:

http://www.boulderballet.org/park.html

Civic Green Park, Highlands Ranch

Saturday, June 19 at 7 PM

At Ridgeline Blvd. and Green Ash Street, Highlands Ranch.

Broomfield Amphitheater

Sunday, June 20 at 1 PM

3 Community Park Road, by the lake just north of the library.

Central Park Bandshell, Boulder

Sunday, June 27 at 7 PM

At the south-east corner of Broadway and Canyon Blvd.

Thanks, California. I couldn't find a review of the June performance. Here's a video, from the local paper's website, of a rehearsal from their February contemporary program.

http://www.dailycame...nce/ci_14420946

As of June 14 they were still planning on doing their performances in the Park:

http://www.dailycame...dailycamera.com

There don't seem to be any reviews of that, for whatever reason. If anyone has further official news, please post it here. Thanks.

. . . As of June 14 they were still planning on doing their performances in the Park:

http://www.dailycame...dailycamera.com . . .

The Ballet in the Park series was in June. My sister and her four-year-old granddaughter went to see the Broomfield performance. It was in an outdoor amphitheatre and there were only a few dozen people in the audience. They did the wedding pas de deux from Sleeping Beauty and the rest was contemporary. At the end, they invited the little kids onto the stage to show them some steps, which is a nice touch. But there was no hint of fund-raising issues or pleas for support.

I've been checking the on-line Daily Camera (Boulder) and Denver Post, but haven't seen any news reports about problems, so I'll guess they are overhauling their web site.

We all went to their Nutcracker fund-raising tea last December at the Boulderado Hotel. Boulder Ballet struck me as a very popular and well-supported school, with some nice performances during the year. Lots of dancers in their Nutcracker costumes circulated through the tables, signing autographs for the kids, showing the little kids their costumes, posing for pictures, leading a parade around the hotel, etc. Very nice. For ballet to thrive in the future, these kids need to be brought into the fold!

Thanks, California. I couldn't find a review of the June performance...

There don't seem to be any reviews of that, for whatever reason. If anyone has further official news, please post it here. Thanks.

The Boulder Daily Camera almost never prints reviews of performing arts shows. I have no idea what the reason for this is.

The Boulder Ballet's facebook page is still up and the Boulder Philharmonic still has the annual joint presentation of The Nutcracker on their schedule, so there is no reason to think that the Boulder Ballet has folded.

The Boulder Ballet's facebook page is still up and the Boulder Philharmonic still has the annual joint presentation of The Nutcracker on their schedule, so there is no reason to think that the Boulder Ballet has folded.

Good news. (Plus, it's good to see a little empirical reporting doing away with rumor.)

In the old days, problems with a website seemed to suggest or portend problems with the company. Mayabe the trend nowadays among smaller performing arts organization is to rely on Facebook as a way of communicating to their fans, while lpayhing less attention to the website. I wonder.

The Boulder Daily Camera almost never prints reviews of performing arts shows. I have no idea what the reason for this is.

They used to print great reviews but they lost their critic a few years ago. I called the paper when they stopped printing them and found that out. It was so sad, I really enjoyed the reviews. The Denver Post still does them but not for all the shows... so away goes arts coverage in the newspaper, I guess.

An ad on Craigslist on June 23, 2010, says they are recruiting for a new Executive Director:

http://boulder.craigslist.org/npo/1807438954.html

This June 14 interview with the Artistic Director doesn't hint at any management or fiscal problems, but who knows:

http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_15285273

I suppose the job search might explain why they have had their website off-line for almost a week now.

They used to print great reviews but they lost their critic a few years ago. I called the paper when they stopped printing them and found that out. It was so sad, I really enjoyed the reviews. The Denver Post still does them but not for all the shows... so away goes arts coverage in the newspaper, I guess.

Add to that the loss of the Rocky Mountain News, which IMHO had superior arts critics and columnists to the Denver Post (I didn't care much for the rest of the paper, however).