Spring season continued

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#46 allegromezzo18

allegromezzo18

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:44 PM

Is Sophie Flack back on the NYCB roster?

#47 vipa

vipa

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

NYCB perf. 6-20-10 3pm
La Source, which we also saw in rehearsal on Thur., had both times the same leads:
Megan Fairchild and Joaquin De Luz.
Fairchild gave, in my view, a very authoritative reading of the role and
De Luz was elegantly buoyant in all his aerial work.
Lauren King led convincingly the ebullient womens' ensemble.

Lauren King has been a joy for me to watch for the last 2 or 3 seasons. I'm always happy to see her name in the program because she brings such joy to the stage. I hope Peter Martins is viewing her as soloist material.

#48 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:43 AM

I noticed on the casting list that Robbie Fairchild replaces Chase Finlay in tonight's premiere of Mirage. Chase will dance in Mirage in subsequent performances this week.

#49 harpergroup

harpergroup

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:24 AM

I noticed on the casting list that Robbie Fairchild replaces Chase Finlay in tonight's premiere of Mirage. Chase will dance in Mirage in subsequent performances this week.

Kathryn Morgan posted (via Twitter) that she is dancing MIRAGE with Robbie on Tuesday and Sat Mat, and with Chase on Wednesday and Sat Eve.

#50 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

Did anyone see "Mirage"? I just read a review from a music point of view in a blog post by James C. Taylor in the LA Times:

After hearing Salonen’s concerto at Disney Hall, I found the effect of the 30-minute piece different when its music was synchronized to dance and stagecraft. In Movement I (“Mirage”) what Salonen describes in cinematic terms as “an extreme close-up of the string” is accompanied by Calatrava’s giant sculpture/mobile dramatically rising and then morphing into what looks like a set of wings.

Then in Movement IV (“Adieu”), a swelling surge of the full orchestra brought Martins' dancers to a large pyramid form of partnered leaps. The final chord of the concerto, which rings with an altogether different sound from anything else in the piece, prompted a subtle cue of rainbow-colored light projected onto the stage and the dancers in their final tableau.

http://latimesblogs....ty-ballet-.html

I've heard some of Salonen's compositions before and liked them very much. And Leila Josefowicz -- wow! That's like when Elmar Olivera played the Barber Violin Concerto for the Martins ballet (although I loved the way then-NYCB concertmaster Guillermo Figueroa played it, too in subsequent seasons). It's worth going for the concert alone, but, better, I've been hearing good things about the choreography, although no specifics.

Please tell!

#51 SCchck

SCchck

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:33 AM

Are people boycotting this ballet? No one is writing about it. I cannot attend until Saturday evening and would love to hear some comments before then so I can prepare. Anyone?

#52 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 05:20 AM

I've heard some of Salonen's compositions before and liked them very much. And Leila Josefowicz -- wow!

Amen. I heard her play John Adams' "The Dharma at Big Sur" a few weeks ago. I'm eager to read reviews of this program.

#53 liebs

liebs

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

I liked the piece very much. All the elements enhanced the choreography and Martins brought out what was unique about each of his principal dancers. More to come when I have a moment,

#54 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,002 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts, liebs.

#55 SCchck

SCchck

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:26 AM

Ditto, seems strange that this ballet hasn't had the chatter the rest of the season prompted. Can't wait to hear anything anyone has to offer. Thanks~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):