This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

hello

keguri

Hi, I'm new to "Ballet talk." I've been interested in ballet since graduate school in Chicago, when I started studying ballet as an adult and also became an avid balletgoer. I took class 3-4 times week, and saw perhaps dozens of performances a year (Joffrey Ballet, visiting companies, sometimes also ABT and City Ballet in NY). When I moved to Seoul about 4 years ago, I thought I would never take ballet class again. But last February, I realized I really needed to get in shape --- and, much to my surprise, I also discovered that there is a really great "Adult ballet" community in Korea. There are several studios here that cater exclusively to adult students, with excellent instruction --- and even though I am sometimes the only man, and almost always the only foreigner, I feel quite comfortable (I know only rudimentary Korean, but this matters surprisingly little) And I've also started attending performances of local companies, including Universal Ballet and National Ballet of Korea.

I'm also a lover of classical music and opera, but for me, ballet has a special, indescribable charm and power.

Welcome to BalletTalk, keguri. Most of us would agree with your last sentence, so although we're primarily devoted to ballet, we also have discussions on Other Arts.

It's great to have a new pair of eyes in Korea, as we hear so little from that part of the world. Please keep us posted on what you're seeing -- especially the Universal and National Ballet companies.

You may want to join our sister board, BalletTalk for Dancers. You'll find a direct link at the far right of the screen, right under the masthead. The Special Forums section has a forum for Men and Boys as well as two for adults.

Although I live in Sweden I have seen a lot of Universal Ballet on TV (we get it by satellite). The only problem is that their program schedule is hopeless to say the least. How many times I have switched on and sat down to a nice evening of ballet and in stead been treated to Corean cooking, I just dont know. But I am probably an expert at Corean cooking by now! :flowers:

I think Universal Ballet is very good indeed taking into account that as a nation Corea does not have a long tradition in classical ballet and music.

Please give us full and detailed reports of the performances you see!

Although I live in Sweden I have seen a lot of Universal Ballet on TV (we get it by satellite). The only problem is that their program schedule is hopeless to say the least. How many times I have switched on and sat down to a nice evening of ballet and in stead been treated to Corean cooking, I just dont know. But I am probably an expert at Corean cooking by now! :)

I think Universal Ballet is very good indeed taking into account that as a nation Corea does not have a long tradition in classical ballet and music.

Please give us full and detailed reports of the performances you see!

That's funny --- I've lived in Korea for more than three years, and I only seen a ballet performance once on TV, and not the UB. And I don't think I've ever seen a Korean cooking show!