Irregular time signatures in balleta couple of questions.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 GNicholls

GNicholls

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

"Irregular metre" is just a traditional Western classical music theory term, maybe obsolete now, for metres that aren't duple or triple. "Mixed metres" is sometimes used when the metre changes frequently. I think the Slavic and Hungarian composers of the early- and mid-20th centuries, influenced by folk music, were the greatest metric innovators of their time in ballet music and indeed in classical music.

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

Stravinsky used unusual time signatures all through his early career. Think about the chorale at the end of "The Firebird", which is in 7/4.

#18 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,218 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

Right...about Stravinsky I knew. I was looking more into the "musique dansante" period...as in the Offenbach /Taglioni's "Papillon"-(Golden Idol of Bayadere nowadays)- or the Sapphire variation of Beauty. Are there more examples of this around that period...?

#19 GNicholls

GNicholls

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

Not sure if this will yield any 5/4 waltzes, but there are plenty more examples of 5/4 metre in 19th-century classical music here. The search terms "quintuple metre" and "septuple metre" are useful. (By the way, what would 11/4 be called?!)

To clarify my previous post, "irregular metre" means a metre whose subgrouping is not exclusively into 2's or into 3's, but rather is into different groups. Common examples are 5/4 (subgroups of 2+3 or 3+2) and 7/4 (subgroups 2+2+3 or 2+3+2 or 3+2+2). Subgroups may be of numbers other than 2 or 3 also. Like you, for these metres I prefer the terms "complex metre" or "asymmetric metre" to the older "irregular metre."

Whew!

#20 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:11 AM

(By the way, what would 11/4 be called?!)

Undecametric.

#21 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:26 AM

Stravinsky used unusual time signatures all through his early career. Think about the chorale at the end of "The Firebird", which is in 7/4.

Thanks for that, Mel. This music is so familiar that I was finally able to imagine in audio terms what one of these meters sounds like.

Is there a way we can post audio links to illustrate our threads about music, just as we do with photos and videos on other threads?

#22 GNicholls

GNicholls

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for that, Mel. This music is so familiar that I was finally able to imagine in audio terms what one of these meters sounds like.

Is there a way we can post audio links to illustrate our threads about music, just as we do with photos and videos on other threads?

There's a good example of 5/4 time here. The Danse Générale from Ravel's Daphnis and Chloë. It's clear for counting off in 5 when the clarinet comes in at 0:56.
Incidentally, the Philadelphia Orchestra is conducted at a reasonable tempo by the old-school master Wolfgang Sawallisch. Most conductors take this incomparable finale too fast.

#23 GNicholls

GNicholls

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

(By the way, what would 11/4 be called?!)

Undecametric.

The Latin scholar here here hypothesizes "undecuple." :wink:

#24 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

There's a good example of 5/4 time here. The Danse Générale from Ravel's Daphnis and Chloë. It's clear for counting off in 5 when the clarinet comes in at 0:56.

This is great. Now I know exactly what you are talking about. I understand that this meter can be disorienting, but actually it's quite easy if you focus on the "five" while you count. Starting at the point of the clarinet solo did indeed make counting easier when I rewound and started again. Thank you, GNicholls.

Incidentally, the Philadelphia Orchestra is conducted at a reasonable tempo by the old-school master Wolfgang Sawallisch. Most conductors take this incomparable finale too fast.

Agree on this. It allows you to to experience the detailing without any loss of power.

#25 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:40 PM

And in Irish dance, we have the light and lovely slip jig, danced by women to 9/8 time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):