This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wow, that was a rant! Good luck, Americans, with the mid-terms today... :innocent:

cmb,

GoCoyote!, on 01 November 2010 - 04:27 PM, said:

I'm sure we've all noticed these same themes being brought up in similar conversations/ debates all over the world, but what amazes me is that, by and large, no one ever makes much reference to what I am calling out as being the elephant in the room:

More often than not we're very afraid of the obviousness and bulk of the "big elephants of the rooms", and so we try our way around...

I totally agree with this, however it's an over-simplification to say that

parents or a next of kin are 110% liable for whatever the kids end up doing in such early age.

It does take a village to raise a child. Finding the balance between the individual and the collective is one of the most important - and difficult - parts of raising a child in the Western world today.

Finding the balance between the individual and the collective is one of the most important - and difficult - parts of raising a child in the Western world today.

Perhaps I find somehow difficult to adjust to the idea of the kid being given such liberties...considered an "individual entity" and all that stuff. An old saying of the Spanish culture that made it to the new continent was "Children speak when chicken urinates"-(sorry for the rawness of it, but that's the way it is). Of course, chicken don't produce urine by itself so do the math...

.....More often than not we're very afraid of the obviousness and bulk of the "big elephants of the rooms", and so we try our way around...

David and Goliath is certainly a beautiful story, but in reality...

This is a fair point! .... and yet .... who pays Goliath's wages?

WE DO every time we buy a CD, DVD or watch TV. What would happen to these giants if we didn't show up to see the next insultingly formulaic assault-on-our-senses blockbuster movie? I bet half the people who go to such movies only do it so they aren't left out of the conversation when everyone else is talking about it at work, or because they lack the imagination to think of a better way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

There is a REASON why mass entertainment/ media has gone into fast-edit-in-your-face overdrive over the last decade, they are having to to keep hold of people's attention. They KNOW people are waking up and communicating with EACH OTHER on the net rather than staring at the TV all evening. They KNOW more and more people are becoming sick and tired of their glossy, fake, oversexed, moronic, plastic, showbiz world. These giants are a lot more vulnerable than you might think!

And after, the power of this particular Goliath lies in the power of the media which lies in its ability to generate a consensus... a consensus among the people. So where does the power really lie?

The only thing keeping the mass entertainment industries alive today is our collective lack of spontaneity and imagination!