This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

undated Moscow photo

i acquired the photo scanned here because i suspected it showed the Bolshoi Ballet's Nadezhda Pavlova, whom i most fondly remember from the 1970s and who burst onto the international scene after winning a ballet competition in Moscow before then appearing at the Metropolitan Opera House with a contingent of Bolshoi Ballet dancers in the summer of 1973.

for a hardly crisp or clear photo of Red Square at night with its leaping dancer, (Pavlova?), makes up in life-force what the photo lacks in resolution.

i have no idea what the occasion of the photo was. there are no annotations whatsoever on the print.

post-848-1273778936_thumb.jpg

i acquired the photo scanned here because i suspected it showed the Bolshoi Ballet's Nadezhda Pavlova, whom i most fondly remember from the 1970s and who burst onto the international scene after winning a ballet competition in Moscow before then appearing at the Metropolitan Opera House with a contingent of Bolshoi Ballet dancers in the summer of 1973.

for a hardly crisp or clear photo of Red Square at night with its leaping dancer, (Pavlova?), makes up in life-force what the photo lacks in resolution.

i have no idea what the occasion of the photo was. there are no annotations whatsoever on the print.

It does look like Pavlova, doesn't it? Thanks for your description of her first visit to NYC. I remember it too, and Pavlova created quite a stir. She was lovely and so delicate looking. I was almost afraid she would break!

It does look like Pavlova, doesn't it? Thanks for your description of her first visit to NYC. I remember it too, and Pavlova created quite a stir. She was lovely and so delicate looking. I was almost afraid she would break!

I remember meeting her in 1976 when the Bolshoi was at Lincoln Center for an entire month; one month Bolshoi Opera, then one month Bolshoi Ballet. I was showing Slava Gordeyev around Manhattan and also helping Grigorivitch buy a video camera and VCR. Slava married Nadyzhda Pavlova shortly after and sent me a video (with the camera he bought in New York) of them rehearsing their first Giselle on the Bolshoi stage. She was truly a tiny birdlike creature. Not surprised to see her flying over Red Square.