This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

THE CARD PARTY

the attached scan shows a page from VOGUE, (May 1, 1937) with a photo/illustration of Balanchine's 1937 ballet to Stravinsky's JEU DE CARTES.

previously the only pictures i've seen of Sharaff's costumes have been in black and white, presumably this colored illustration shows the ballet's color scheme.

post-848-1273512675_thumb.jpg

post-848-1273513070_thumb.jpg

the attached scan shows a page from VOGUE, (May 1, 1937) with a photo/illustration of Balanchine's 1937 ballet to Stravinsky's JEU DE CARTES.

previously the only pictures i've seen of Sharaff's costumes have been in black and white, presumably this colored illustration shows the ballet's color scheme.

Thanks for posting.

The costumes are wonderfull, really designed and beautiful.

Incidently it is the centenary of her birth this year.

The cast included: William Dollar (Joker), Annabelle Lyon (Queen of Hearts), Leda Anchutina (Queen of Spades), Ariel Lang [Helen Leitch] (Queen of Diamonds), Hortense Kahrklin (Queen of Clubs)

scan of an unidentified/uncaptioned 'action' photo, that is, a performance vs. a studiop/publicity shot, of POKER GAME in its Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo staging, in which Danilova and Markova as the Queen of Spades and Queen of Hearts, respectively, are evident.

haven't reseached at this point who was doing Queen of Clubs and Queen of Diamonds at the time.

post-848-052174200 1311026248_thumb.jpg

The vibrancy of the color shot makes me realize how much we are missing when we are limited to black and white for ballet photos from this period. B&W seems especially limiting when it comes to works with elaborate costumes, often making them look dowdy. I wish we had color shots (of this level of saturation) for so many other works ... the original Four Temperaments, for example. Or Renard. Or Picnic at Tintagel.

here are two related records of Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo's POKER GAME.

for good measure, i've scanned the photo/illus. on p. 90 of MARKOVA REMEMBERS by Dame Alicia Makrova, DBE, 1986.

post-848-058017100 1311089275_thumb.jpg

post-848-041936000 1311089296_thumb.jpg

post-848-058576900 1311089579_thumb.jpg

These photos make me wish I had seen the ballet -- EVEN in black and white.

rg, I have a question about the photo of Makova's head and torso (your third photo, on the right). She appears to have NO ARMS. Her sceptre, or whatever it is, is stuck into her bodice rather than held in her (nonexistent) hands. What gives?

if mem. serves, B. (i've now put my copy of MARKOVA REMEMBERS away), but i can paraphrase Markova's own caption to the effect that Balanchine posed her in that eccentric way, which she didn't question.

it is odd but it's also eyecatching.

one set of notes i've now found identifies the Queen of Clubs in one BRdMC cast as Mladova, and the Queen of Diamonds as Krasovska, but i can't say these are the identifications of the less visible dancers in the BRdMC POKER GAME performance shot above.