• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:14 AM

the company also participated in the 8th annual biarritz dance festival in france, in 1998.

#17 sunday

sunday

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

Just back from the last performance in Barcelona. Like it very much, despite of not being a fan of contemporary dance.

With Ballo della Regina, I saw my first live Balanchine and I was not dissapointed. Those dancers are in the same class that the POB. Pity they did not perform Rubies here.

The other Wow! choreography for me was Brake the Eyes with music by Mozart.

If the Cirio brothers are son and daughter of "its the mom", I think she can be very proud of them: Jeffrey was protagonist in Ballo, and Lia in Tsukiyo. Liked them very much.

All in all, a very interesting experience. If any Spaniards read this, don't wait to buy your tickets!

#18 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

Thanks, Sunday, for reporting. I especially appreciate your tribute to Balanchine, but I'm glad that their contemporary work also came across well. And the dancers.

The program balance is something that is becoming typical of a number of important American companies -- some Balanchine, some contemporary, maybe something from the classics. This kind of mix may not be so common in Spain, especially on the same program.

What did you think about the balancing of the pieces on the program? How did the audience respond?

#19 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

Some of us in New York would love to hear more about Erica Cornejo's work. By any chance, Sunday, did she have the lead in Ballo? It would seem a great vehicle for her.

#20 sunday

sunday

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:08 AM

Thanks, Sunday, for reporting. I especially appreciate your tribute to Balanchine, but I'm glad that their contemporary work also came across well. And the dancers.

The program balance is something that is becoming typical of a number of important American companies -- some Balanchine, some contemporary, maybe something from the classics. This kind of mix may not be so common in Spain, especially on the same program.

What did you think about the balancing of the pieces on the program? How did the audience respond?

I got the impression that the longer acts - Ballo della Regina, Brake the Wheels - got more applause.

Last summer we got a Russian Stars Gala with Ivan Vassiliev, Maria Alexandrova, Farukh Rusimatov, Irina Pirren, etc. also with a mixed repertoire, from Suite Paquita to Tchaikovski PDD* to Bakhti. The audience appreciated all. But Ivan Vassiliev, as the monster he is, claimed a standing ovation in his DQ PDD with Alexandrova.

The unusual thing in Spain is to able to attend Classical or good Neoclassical ballet. There is fair amount of Modern dance. If you are worried by the performance of Miami City Ballet in Peralada, don't. The severe economic crisis we are enduring could result in less tickets sold, however.

Some of us in New York would love to hear more about Erica Cornejo's work. By any chance, Sunday, did she have the lead in Ballo? It would seem a great vehicle for her.

Sorry, no. Ms. Cornejo did not appear in the performance I saw. The lead in Ballo was a superb Misa Kuranaga who got a couple of curtain calls. She and Jeffrey Ciro demonstrated a awesome synchronization on their jumps together.

* Well, that really was my first Balanchine, I realize. However, B in ensemble is not the same as B in a PDD.

#21 its the mom

its the mom

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:46 AM

carbro - Erica is dancing the lead in Ballo along side Jaime Diaz. Misa Kuranaga does it the most - alternating with Jeffrey Cirio and James Whiteside. The Barcelona shows were a mix of the two shows they will be doing throughout the rest of Spain. In most cities, they will be performing one Ultimate Balanchine (Ballo, Four T's and Rubies) and one Made in Boston (Elo's Plan to B, Pickett's Tsukiyo, Plotnikov's Rhyme, Matthews' ein von viel, and Elo's Brake the Eyes). As for Erica, besides the lead in Ballo, she also dances in Rhyme and Sanguinic in Four T's.

#22 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,217 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:11 AM

Nelson Madrigal was okay, but seemed rather tired to me. (Sorry not sure if it was simple weariness, age, or any past injuries or performance issues?) For a Cuban, I missed those strong perfect pirouettes I'm used to see his compatriots do (eg. Acosta, Carreno et.al.) and he drifted quite a lot in the double tours/pirouettes in his solo.

That's exactly how I recall Nelson's dancing back in Havana...okay but not brilliant.
Is his wife-(Feijoo)-absent from this program...?

#23 its the mom

its the mom

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

cubanmiamiboy - In answer to your question about Lorna, she is not taking part in the tour, as she is expecting a baby! She looks fabulous, I might add.

#24 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

Barcelona’s shows have been amazing and have got very good reviews. After Peralada’s, with La Sylphide and a complete Balanchine program, maybe some people was waiting for more classical ballets, as classics are nearly absent in Catalonia and there is a large amount of ballet lovers eager to enjoy them, but this programme has been a good choice to show the variety of the repertoire and the fabulous skills of the BB troupe able to tackle with so many different registers at its top.

I attended the first performance as I had to fly to Oviedo to attend the two shows of Swan Lake by Corella Ballet, but as Sunday reports, I can say that the first day also Ballo della Regina and Brake the Eyes were the ones that got the greatest applauses, Melissa Hough was really great at this last.

There are lovely pictures of the Barcelona’s performances at the Boston Globe!

#25 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

As for Erica, besides the lead in Ballo, she also dances in Rhyme and Sanguinic in Four T's.

Thank you, itm!

#26 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

Wonderful converation! Thanks, Sunday, for your additional comments.

I also want to remind everyone that Miami City Ballet -- the company headed by Edward Villella and the object of an active forum on Ballet Talk -- has no connection to the Miami-based company which will be performing at Peralada.

#27 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,217 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:26 AM

I also want to remind everyone that Miami City Ballet -- the company headed by Edward Villella and the object of an active forum on Ballet Talk -- has no connection to the Miami-based company which will be performing at Peralada.

Glad you clarified that,bart. The company to perform at Peralada is the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami.

cubanmiamiboy - In answer to your question about Lorna, she is not taking part in the tour, as she is expecting a baby! She looks fabulous, I might add.

SWEEET!!! :excl:

#28 dee

dee

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:16 AM

There is a great review at Danza magazine of the Spain shows:
Danza Ballet (Translation)

#29 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:36 AM

Thanks, dee, for the Link. There are a couple of nice photos, too. And a very positive conclusion:

While in Barcelona, the Boston Ballet delighted us with an evening of unique and extraordinary artistic quality and showed the reason of their outstanding track record and distinguished reputation.

It would be lovely if we can develop a strong Boston Ballet thread on Ballet Talk. The company definitely merits it, and I know that we have members who follow the company and many others who are interested in its repertory, history, and dances.

If you are a Boston fan, please consider posting your thoughts about last season or the season to come.

#30 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,217 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

According to her Facebook page, Lorna had a beautiful baby girl on September 15. Her name is Lucia.
[font="Comic Sans MS"][size="7"]Felicidades querida!!!![/size][/font] :clapping: :flowers: :yahoo: :wub: :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):