• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

Shklyarov's promotion is such great news! I can't tell you if there was any announcement after the last performance because I didn't stick around for the curtain calls. I was a bit concerned about making my flight home so I rushed out the minute the curtain came down. Of course, my flight was delayed 2 yrs and ultimately canceled, so I got to spend the night at an airport hotel. Yuck!!!

So glad to hear that it wasn't Timofeev in the pdt. I just took a look at some online photos and I think it was Timofeev who danced on Sat night and was my favorite. I think it was Stepin on Thurs night and Sun mat, but can't tell for sure if it was him or Parish. Whoever it was, he was fine, it was only the Sat matinee soloist who was below par. Saturday night's Jester (Alexey Nedviga) was also very good, really just about at Popov's level - which is amazing.

I could go on and on about the corps, as Natalia said, especially the swan corps. This was undoubtedly the best run I've seen and it was great to see dancers like Vasnetsova and Nikitina come into their own. The 4 cygnets were perfect each time, and the 4 big swans were gorgeous. I adore Shirinkina, Martynyuk and Cheprasova and can't wait to see how Brileva develops, she's certainly a swan queen in the making.

As wonderful as everyone was, I missed Yana Selina. I think this is the 1st time I've seen the Kirov without her!

All 3 of the O/O Sigfried pairs I saw were great. Ivenchenko was the weakest of the men and while an uninspiring soloist he has an elegant, stretched line and gave Kondaurova all the support she needed. Korsuntsev seemed much more animated and involved than I remember him, but Terioshkina & Shklyarov had the best chemistry - by far. He is such a beautiful dancer, I love his soft, plush landings and he has wonderful form and elevation. Terioshkina was a heartbreaking Odette - so soulful with almost Makarova - like plastique while her Odile absolutely reveled in her seduction of poor Siegfried. Of course she killed the fouettees, starting with a triple then alternating single - single double as did Kondaurova. BTW - I said that Lopatkina did all singles. Not true - she started with a triple then followed with all singles.

This was such a fabulous run of Swan Lakes, I love the the production, the corps was wonderful and every performance was great.

#32 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:56 AM

p.s. As if that weren't enough...I'm delighted to report that Kondaurova is back to her natural hair color in Canada - "Big Red" once again! The darkish-auburn/brown tint seemed to have been only for her Myrthas in Washington, DC, last month. She was back to red for Nikiya and Odette/Odile. (Maybe she didn't want to clash with a red-headed Giselle, Lopatkina?)

p.s.s. After these huge triumphs abroad (Myrtha in DC, Nikiya in Ottawa and, especially, Odette/Odile in Toronto), if Kondaurova is not promoted to Principal "pronto," then the directorship of the Mariinsky Ballet must be lobotomized...slowly, without anesthesia.

- - - - -

Nysusan, I enjoyed reading your impressions and am thrilled that Lopatkina delivered a top-notch performance with warmth. It looks like our 'regal ballerinas' are warming things up, compared to reports of recent-past. How were Terioshkina and newly-appointed principal, Shklyarov, yesterday? I'm curious if the promotion was publicly announced, i.e., if Yuri Fateev, Interim Ballet Director (his title as per programme), came onto the stage after the show to let everyone know the big news (a-la POB 'etoile' announcements)? Other notable solo performers yesterday?

Thank you Natalia and everyone for the beautiful reports! Congratulations to Volodya :clapping:! It was only a matter of time before Sarafanov's vacancy was filled. Shklyarov was quietly added to the Principal list yesterday morning (March 7). There are no announcements in the Theatre news or press release links, at least not yet. Yesterday was travel day for the company; maybe Fateev told him on the plane :huh:.

http://www.mariinsky...y/ballet/troupe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):