This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kirov in Toronto 2011

In March of 2011 the Kirov Ballet is coming to Toronto:

http://buyticketspro.com/theater/200034867...ing_to_Toronto/

No details yet, but given the right program with the right casts (Kondaurova, Kondaurova and more Kondaurova :wink:) I could be really tempted to come out of my self-imposed seclusion and travel to our great neighbor in the North.

Wonder when they will announce the particulars and start selling the tickets.

If anybody has any info, would really appreciate it.

They'll be in Ottawa February 24-27, 2011, with La Bayadere:

http://www.nac-cna.ca/en/whatson/results.cfm?EventID=6298

And at the Kennedy Center with Giselle February 8-13:

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/ballet/home11.cfm

It looks like the National Ballet of Canada had to reorganize its plans for next year in view of the Kirov visit to Toronto:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/theatre/story/2010/...sky-ballet.html

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/artic...aux-pas-de-deux

I wonder where else they will tour while they're in North America. OCPAC hasn't yet announced its dance season for 2010-11, so with luck they'll make it to the west coast, too

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe that there are any West Coast tours planned for the Kirov/Mariinsky for 2011. I heard the next will be 2012, and I heard this LAST year, while I was in St. P, and that it was a decision based on the economic situation. (Well that and the monopoly on performing spaces in San Francisco, but that's another issue)...But that was for entire West Coast (LA area included).

Wonder when they will announce the particulars and start selling the tickets.

If anybody has any info, would really appreciate it.

I was phoned last week by an official ticket seller who tried hard to sell me one. I can't afford to go, but the woman on the phone was pleasantly pushing the performance despite my resistance due to empty pockets. Maybe closer to the date...

She couldn't tell me anything about casting.

I just noticed I've responded to a post from May - 5 months ago!

Edited by Marga

Tickets have been on sale for quite awhile already but there are still tickets available. No information on casting yet but I just checked Vishneva's website and she is opening & closing the Bayadere in Ottowa. Looks like she won't be coming to Toronto but if she has her schedule it seems like they should have preliminary casting for the whole engagement already. Hopefully they will post it soon!

I'm hoping for Lopatkina & Kondaurova. Have given up hope for Pavlenko, that would be a miracle!

Hi nysusan,

As far as casting goes, inside the theatre nothing is posted yet beyond the Baden Baden tour -- that is, beyond Dec. 31, 2010. If there's casting, it's on Fateyev's desk and not really further than that. My guess though is that they themselves may not have the casting finalized yet. But since Vishneva has a defined number of performances with the company per year, she may well know what those dates are ahead of others.

Pavlenko just this weekend danced Aegia in Spartak in a short inner-Russian tour. She's slated to dance it again in January (the 12th I think?) ...so I doubt they will put her in any big classics anytime soon, as she's still coming back from her injury. Better safe than sorry/easy does it and all that.

Hi nysusan,

As far as casting goes, inside the theatre nothing is posted yet beyond the Baden Baden tour -- that is, beyond Dec. 31, 2010. If there's casting, it's on Fateyev's desk and not really further than that. My guess though is that they themselves may not have the casting finalized yet. But since Vishneva has a defined number of performances with the company per year, she may well know what those dates are ahead of others.

Pavlenko just this weekend danced Aegia in Spartak in a short inner-Russian tour. She's slated to dance it again in January (the 12th I think?) ...so I doubt they will put her in any big classics anytime soon, as she's still coming back from her injury. Better safe than sorry/easy does it and all that.

Hi Catherine,

thanks a lot for the inside scoop. Sorry for an off-topic question, but I wonder if you heard anything about Kirov visit to NY. At one point it was announced in this season plans but later on all mentions suddenly disappeared from their website.

I'm not asking just out of curiosity. My funds are somewhat limited at the moment, and if Kirov Ballet does indeed come to NYC in the summer I can sit out their D.C., Ottawa, and Toronto tour and save some money for August. If however the Met season has been scrapped, I'll try my best to go at least to D.C. and maybe to Toronto, too.

Thanks again.

Len

Well their London tour has just been confirmed, mid July to late July (two weeks I think?) So I highly doubt there will be a NY season this summer for that reason (unless they only sent a few dancers? But i dont see that happening either). The London stint is right at the end of White Nights, and the company tends to not tour during the White Nights itself.

So in short: I haven't heard much about NY tour -- although dancers themselves were asking me if i had!! -- and since London is now confirmed, I dont think it will happen.

Dont know where you're located, Len, but if it's the US, I would guess that the DC tour is your best bet. Alas, Uliana will only have one performance there... and I hope she remains on the tour, as you know how there can be last minute changes.

Well their London tour has just been confirmed, mid July to late July (two weeks I think?) So I highly doubt there will be a NY season this summer for that reason (unless they only sent a few dancers? But i dont see that happening either). The London stint is right at the end of White Nights, and the company tends to not tour during the White Nights itself.

So in short: I haven't heard much about NY tour -- although dancers themselves were asking me if i had!! -- and since London is now confirmed, I dont think it will happen.

Dont know where you're located, Len, but if it's the US, I would guess that the DC tour is your best bet. Alas, Uliana will only have one performance there... and I hope she remains on the tour, as you know how there can be last minute changes.

Thanks a lot, Catherine - I really appreciate your reply.

I'm in NY, so will probably have to go to D.C. for the UL performance now.

Thanks again!

Catherine, Thanks so much for your insight into the inner workings of the Mariinsky! Good to hear that Pavlenko's back and working her way back into the repertory.

Meanwhile, casting for the Canadian tour has been posted on the Ardani site and guess who's opening their run of Swan Lake? You guessed it, Ms. Somova.

Alina Somova , Denis Matvienko (3/1)

Victoria Tereshkina, Vladimir Schklyarov (3/2)

Uliana Lopatkina, Danila Korsuntsev (3/3)

Yekaterina Kondaurova ,Yevgeny Ivanchenko (3/4)

Anastasia Kolegova Andrian Fadeev (3/5, mat)

Alina Somova ,Vladimir Schklyarov (3/ 5, eve)

Uliana Lopatkina Danila Korsuntsev (3/6)

Here's the Bayadere casting:

Nikia, a bayadère

Diana Vishneva (24, 27)

Victoria Tereshkina (25)

Yekaterina Kondaurova (26, mat)

Uliana Lopatkina (26, eve)

Alina Somova (27, mat)

Gamzatti, his daughter

Anastasia Matvienko (24, 26, 27, eve)

Anastasia Kolegova (25, 26, mat, 27, mat)

Solor, a rich warrior

Andrian Fadeev (24, 27)

Denis Matvienko (25)

Yevgeny Ivanchenko (26, mat)

Danila Korsuntsev (26, eve)

Vladimir Schklyarov (27, mat)

Here's the link:

http://www.ardani.com/tours-mariinsky.php

The Toronto/Swan Lakes leg of the Canadian tour opens tonight, so I am bumping-up this thread for any reports. So far, we have no updates to the original casting on the Ardani site, which indicates:

March 1 (tonight) - Somova/Matvienko

March 2 - Tereshkina/Shklyarov

March 3 - Lopatkina/Korsuntsev

March 4 - Kondaurova/Ivanchenko

March 5 mat. - Kolegova/Fadeev

March 5 eve - Somova/Shklyarov

March 6 mat. - Lopatkina/Korsuntsev

I'm planning to attend only the Friday-night performance(Kondaurova/Ivanchenko...hopefully still on tap). Nysusan and other forum members may also be attending, so we might have reports on various performances.

I'm wondering if Andrian Fadeev will be in Toronto for his lone scheduled performance, the Sat. matinee with Kolegova? He was one of the principals originally on tap for last week's Ottawa Bayaderes who, in the end, did not show.

The printed playbill is out. No Somova - Kolegova - Fadeev. I need to buy ticket for one of the new Kondaurova performances, as she is no longer dancing the 4th. Well, why am I not surprised? :)

http://www.sonycentre.ca/swanlakecasting

New principal casts:

March 1 (tonight) - Tereshkina/Shklyarov (was Somova/Matvienko)

March 2 - Lopatkina/Korsuntsev (was Tereshkina/Shklyarov)

March 3 - Kondaurova/Ivanchenko (was Lopatkina/Korsuntsev)

March 4 - Lopatkina/Korsuntsev (was Kondaurova/Ivanchenko)

March 5 mat. - Kondaurova/Ivanchenko (was Kolegova/Fadeev)

March 5 eve - Lopatkina/Korsuntsev (was Somova/Shklyarov)

March 6 mat. - Tereshkina/Shklyarov (was Lopatkina/Korsuntsev)

Pas de 3 groups will be a mix of Shirinkina/Martynyuk/Parish, Cheprasova/Kasenkova/Timofeyev or Styopin

Jester - Zverev or Petrov or Nedviga

Rothbart - Zverov or Soloviov or Sitnikov

Two Solo Swans - Shirinkina & Nikitina

...and the rest are printed in the linked playbill.

Thank you, Bianca. I *did* notice Stepanova among the four 'Big Bayaderes' in the Grand Pas Classique/Act II of Bayadere...exceptional port de bras...but she had the misfortune of being next to Daria Vasnetsova, who was even more brilliant. Stepanova seemed a little 'shy' among the others -- Vasnetsova, Chereskevich and ever-smiling Krasnokutskaya -- but I look forward to seeing her front-center, so to speak, in the Hungarian Dance.

I also look forward to seeing Assylmuratova's protege, Viktoria Brileva, in something other than the corps, as she will dance in the 'Four Big Swans' and the Fiancees in Toronto. She was one of the 'Fan Girls' in Act II of Bayadere; it's impossible to not notice that face, even when she's sitting down watching an elephant pass by. :)

And I'll enjoy 'The Little General' (Martynyuk) once again, this time in the Pas de Trois (with Shirinkina and Timofeev at my perf). Oh...and I even get Petushkova in the Spanish. It's the 'Dream Team'!

Well, I'm now 'all set' with a great ticket to see the Divine Kondaurova's Odette/Odile on Saturday afternoon.

Well, I'm now 'all set' with a great ticket to see the Divine Kondaurova's Odette/Odile on Saturday afternoon.

As am I! I didn't plan to spend 3 days in Toronto or to see 4 Swan Lakes but I really can't complain about a Lopatkina-Kondaurova-Lopatkina-Tereshkina weekend!

Sometimes change is good!

....I really can't complain about a Lopatkina-Kondaurova-Lopatkina-Tereshkina weekend!

Sometimes change is good!

Change can indeed be a wonderful thing! (wink) Even if casts are switched again (which I doubt), I'll love whoever dances on Saturday afternoon. IF the Swan corps is like that of the Bayadere Shades, I suspect that you'll notice the difference between this corps of ladies and the ones in DC's Giselle run, a couple of weeks ago. DC's crew was fine, if not 1980s/early-90s quality; they were indeed 80s/90s quality at the Ottawa Bayaderes.

Enjoy all of your performances!

Opening night (Terioshkina/Shklyarov) review of the Mariinsky's Swan Lake from yesterday evening's (Mar 2) Toronto Star newspaper:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/theatre/article/947107--review-mariinsky-ballet-s-swan-lake-dancers-poetry-in-motion

Very positive but it appears that Terioshkina overcame a bad fall here too, just as in Ottawa last Sunday. I remember her falling a couple of times at the Kennedy Center a while ago(her entrance in Corsaire, for ex). She is a risky dancer...a-la Ashley Bouder of NYCB.

Edited to add:

Toronto Globe and Mail's review is also out (Mar 3):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/theatre/russian-troupe-brings-classically-graceful-swan-lake-to-toronto/article1927229/

Well, you saw the best of the best, little-j. I prefer Bayadere to Swan Lake, due to the greater number of classical diverts (solo and demi-solo opportunities) in the former so, if forced to chose one, I would've gone with Ottawa-Baya. However, knowing that airfares plummet on Thursdays, I simply couldn't pass-up the opportunity to see Kondaurova's Odette-Odile...and if, worst case, the casting shifts and I get 'stuck' with Lopatkina or Terioshkina, then there's no reason to complain.

I'll post something after I return, most likely on Monday. Hopefully nysusan and any other BalletTalkers attending might also be posting impressions. (hint-hint)

I'll post something after I return, most likely on Monday. Hopefully nysusan and any other BalletTalkers attending might also be posting impressions. (hint-hint)

I'm not bringing a laptop with me so unless my hotel has a computer for their guests to use you won't see anything from me until I'm back in NY

Yay, a computer in my hotel lobby! But I'm typing standing up so this will be brief.

What a magnificent performance of Swan Lake tonight. It starts with Lopatkina. This is the second time I've seen her O/O. The first time was before her dvd came out and I was so overwhelmed by her exquisite plastique and the beauty of her every movement that I couldn't really take in the totality of her performance.

This time was different - I was very moved by her performance. I can't believe that people have described her O/O as being cold or remote or studied - though perhaps her interpretation has changed over the years. Tonight she was so tragic, so in love with Korsuntsev's Siegfried. It was a wonderful performance. And Korsuntsev was great, too. Perhaps he isn't the world's most exciting dancer but he has solid technique, the most elegant lines you can imagine and he is all a ballerina could want in a partner

The corps was flawless - moving, even breathing like one organism. The whole company was in top form. There was an unannounced substitution in the Prince's Friends pas de trois. Maria Shirinkina danced, I think she replaced Kasenkova but if so Cheprasova is blonder and thinner than I remember. Both of the pdt dancers were lovely and Shirinkina really stood out in small corphee roles in the white acts.