• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 05:28 AM

The All-Balanchine program scheduled for May 7-9 has been postponed to November 5-7. This was reported in the San Diego News Network April 29:

"The premature end to the season brings back concerns about the financial stability of the Pacific Beach-based company. Though it has dealt with shaky finances in the recent past, all seemed well until the surprise announcement, which came less than two weeks before the scheduled performances.

In a press release, City Ballet attributes the rescheduling to “insufficient funding.” Artistic director Steven Wistrich explained in the document that “we have decided to reschedule ‘Celebrate Balanchine’ in the fall simply because we were not able to secure the funding needed to put the ballets on stage… Tickets were sold for the show, and our dancers were fully prepared and excited to perform these amazing ballets, but ticket sales are not enough and without sufficient donations we could not continue.”"

http://www.sdnn.com/...ine-celebration

The Company's web site: http://www.cityballet.org/index.php

#2 pherank

pherank

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

Well it's a new year (2014), and City Ballet of San Diego has put on a 3 performance run of "Balanchine Masterworks". I saw the Sunday matinee, which I realized had followed an 8pm Saturday evening show (and with a daylight savings change factored in) - these must have been some tired dancers.

The program consisted of:

Apollo

Allegro Brillante

Sonatine

Serenade

Half my reason for going was to see Allegro Brillante and Sonatine live and complete. My hat's off to director Steven Wistrich for putting his little company through this ambitious program. My impression was that things generally got better as they went along. Though Apollo felt mostly stilted, and the Apollo dancer, Geoff Gonzalez, overly reliant on poses (which isn't really how it should be presented), the energy of the other three ballets was impressive for such a small, local company. Arianna Samuelsson danced the Terpsichore role, as well as Sonatine, and was a lead in Serenade. So a tremendous amount of dancing for her over the 3 days. I've since learned that she is the daughter of the director, and lead choreographer (Elizabeth Rowe-Wristrich). But there was little question in my mind that she was the strongest female dancer of the group, and deserved the attention. Except for some minor issues, Serenade came off quite well, and was much appreciated by the audience. Overall, I found them to be a dedicated and hard-working team of dancers. I wish them all the success in the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):