This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2010 Romeo and Juliet

Here's complete casting for the last :clapping: program of the 2010 season.

Be sure to check the website for casting updates.

Program 8 Opening Night

Saturday, May 01, 2010, 8pm

Romeo & Juliet

Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson

Conductor: Martin West

Romeo: Pierre-François Vilanoba

Juliet: Sarah Van Patten

Mercutio: Pascal Molat

Benvolio: Hansuke Yamamoto

Tybalt: Damian Smith

Sunday, May 02, 2010, 2pm

Conductor: Emil de Cou

Romeo: Davit Karapetyan*

Juliet: Vanessa Zahorian

Mercutio: James Sofranko

Benvolio: Jamie Garcia Castilla

Tybalt: Anthony Spaulding*

Tuesday, May 04, 2010, 8pm

Romeo: Joan Boada

Juliet: Maria Kochetkova* See Note

Mercutio: Gennadi Nedvigin

Benvolio: Isaac Hernandez*

Tybalt: Daniel Deivison-Oliveira*

NOTE: The two principals have been replaced by Van Patten and Vilanoba

Wednesday, May 05, 2010, 7:30pm

Thursday, May 06, 2010, 8pm

Romeo: Davit Karapetyan

Mercutio: Vitor Luiz*

Tybalt: Anthony Spaulding

Friday, May 07, 2010, 8pm

Juliet: Maria Kochetkova See Note

Benvolio: Isaac Hernandez

Tybalt: Daniel Deivison-Oliveira

Note: Principals replaced by Van Patten/Vilanoba

Saturday, May 08, 2010, 2pm

Saturday, May 08, 2010, 8pm

Romeo: Davit Karapetyan

Mercutio: Vitor Luiz

Tybalt: Anthony Spaulding

Sunday, May 09, 2010, 2pm

Juliet: Maria Kochetkova

Benvolio: Isaac Hernandez

Tybalt: Daniel Deivison-Oliveira

* Denotes premiere in role.

I saw R&J on Saturday and it was terrific. The entire cast was very good, especially Sarah Van Patten (Juliet), Pierre-François Vilanoba (Romeo), Pascal Molat (Mercutio) and Damian Smith (Tybalt). I can't say enough about how moving this ballet can be when the principals can act - and these four were outstanding. There were more than a few moist eyes leaving the Opera House Saturday evening. I'm going back this week to see Vanessa as Juliet and was going to see Maria Kochetkova as Juliet on Tuesday, but she was replaced with Sarah. I hope Maria is OK.

I'm a sucker for Prokofiev so the evening was especially satisfying for me. I would have liked the orchestra to play stronger - more energetic, but they still sounded good. For example, the end of Act Two (where Tybalt dies) is frenetic music - almost out of control - it should be raw and almost frightening. It was loud, but still controlled. The best recording I've heard of this score is Vladimir Ashkenazy conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

I'm 100% with you on this one, Globetrotter. :) With two lesser principals, I suspect Molat and Smith would have stolen the show cold. This is the first time I've seen this production and it's just beautiful. My only real complaint was with the choreography of the two main pdd: balcony and bedroom. They were both lovely in themselves, but in this context I'd have liked more soaring ecstasy; these just looked a little tame to me.

Unfortunately, I'm going to miss seeing Zahorian/Karapetyan (I'm having a hard time picturing him as the boyish Romeo), but will be going Sunday for Kochetkova.

According to the SFB casting list on its website, Maria is now only dancing on Sunday afternoon. Glad I'll be there, but her absence for her other scheduled appearances will disappoint a lot of people. Certainly hope she's OK.

Some Romeo and Juliet information... according to someone I spoke with at today's performance (5/9/10) at last night's show, during the curtain call, Davit Karapetyan proposed marriage to Vanessa Zahorian! He got down on bended knee and asked her to marry him! Wish I could have seen that one. I'm assuming she accepted but... ouch, that would be humiliating if she said no.

Romeo & Juliet, Sun. 2:00 5/9/10

First of all, some huge drama happened today. Maria Kochetkova was about 4-5 minutes into her first act bedroom scene with Anita Paciotti as the Nurse when, somehow, Maria was cut on her upper face (possibly by a hair brush) her hand was covered in blood and she ran off the stage. The curtain went down and there was a pause for nearly a half hour! Needless to say, there was a LOT speculation if she was coming back. They cut out about 10-15 minutes of the first act, and the curtain reopened on the scene with Romeo, Mercutio and Benvolio just outside the Capulet's ball. During the ball scene, Maria came back out, looking white as a sheet and a little shaken, but after a few minutes, was dancing like a dream (she seems to be okay and I couldn't see any noticeable bandage). The show went on.

And good thing it did, because it was one of the best performances of R&J I've ever seen (and I've seen at least 5-6 versions). Maria and Joan Boada as Romeo had tremendous chemistry. Off all the couplings in R&J, these two are the best as really being believable as young kids who barely know what they're doing but are carried away by their passion. She is made to dance Juliet and watching her dance I saw immediate comparisons to both Makarova and Gelsey Kirkland. Of all the Romeos dancing this week, I wanted to see Boada the most. He brought a passion and boyishness to the role that I honestly don't think the rest of SFB's Romeos could match.

Both danced beautifully, their acting was highly moving, especially Konchetkova in the third act. The balcony pas was wonderful and, they connected so well. I must say I still miss Michael Smuin's version of this pas... I don't think Helgi is as good at choreographing duets as Smuin was (I remember Diana Weber dancing with Tomm Rudd and Jim Sohm) but it was beautiful nonetheless.

Gennadi Nedvigin was a superb Mercucio and Isaac Hernandez is an incredible classical dancer and someone I'm looking forward to seeing more of. Daniel Deivison was the best Tybalt I've seen—sometimes it's a forgettable role but he both looked amazing in the role and had a powerful, yes, uber sexy presence. Dores Andre and the Stewart Bros. were fun as the street dancers. The character dancers - Paciotti as the Nurse, Ricardo Bustamante as Lord Capulet, Pauli Magierek as Lady Capulet and, especially, Jorge Esquivel as Friar Lawrence (I remember Lew Christiansen in this role!) all excellent.

In general, I think R&J is one of Helgi's better full evening works. There are times when I wish the street scenes would be even a little wilder and lustier, but he does a great job with the ballroom scene. The stage fighting and Mercutio's taunting shtick (and let's face it, Mercutio is kind of asking for it) are well done. The costumes, doublets and gowns are beautiful although I admit I'm not a fan of Mercutio's power blue tights. What I'm not a fan of is Jens-jacob Worsaae's set. I think it's beautifully lit by Thomas Skelton, but the set has none of the geometric drama and fancifulness of Verona. It looks more like Spain than Italy. And I wish it had more interesting angles to it... it's front forward and has none of the feeling of a medieval city... it adds no drama to the production.

All in all, an incredible performance and one I'm sure Maria Kotchetkova won't soon be forgetting. I hope Maria and everyone else heals up in their time off and well-deserved rest. After a month and half they have to get ready for Copenhagen.

Some Romeo and Juliet information... according to someone I spoke with at today's performance (5/9/10) at last night's show, during the curtain call, Davit Karapetyan proposed marriage to Vanessa Zahorian! He got down on bended knee and asked her to marry him! Wish I could have seen that one. I'm assuming she accepted but... ouch, that would be humiliating if she said no.

The crowd seemed to love it.

The crowd always loves it. Every once in awhile some or other company has an onstage proposal.

I'm assuming she accepted but... ouch, that would be humiliating if she said no.

I imagine the guy doesn't chance it unless he's pretty sure of what the answer is going to be. :clapping: Congrats to the happy pair!

Aw, that’s so great. :) It’s been known for a while through ‘unofficial sources’ that they were an item, so this really isn’t a surprise. And how romantic is that, after Romeo and Juliet!

Here’s how a proposal I received went, many, many years ago: He: “So, um…you know…maybe…well…do you think…Oh, hey, half time’s over. Catch you later, babe…” :dry: After he retires from dancing, DK should give lessons in romantic proposing; he’d make a fortune.

Congratulations to Mr. Karapetyan and Ms. Zahorian!

Every once in awhile some or other company has an onstage proposal.

Yes, indeed. During the Pennsylvania Ballet's run of Romeo and Juliet in 2005, Zachary Hench proposed to Julie Diana during their curtain call.

For those who haven't seen it... of course it's on Youtube:

. Unfortunately, it didn't catch when he went down on his knees... I would loved to have seen her expression! They're such a great couple and I wish them all the happiness in the world.