This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2010 Benois de la Danse Nominations

Please see below the details on this year's Benois de la Danse.

http://benois.theatre.ru/english/massmedia/news/

Schedule:

International Ballet Festival Benois de la Danse

18 May 2008 will be the Charity Gala of the Nominees to Benois de la Danse-2010 and the award Ceremony.

19 May 2010 — the Charity Gala “STARS OF BENOIS DE LA DANSE”.

Stars from the following companies will participate in the programmes: Australian Ballet; Ballet Argentino, Buenos Aires; Berlin State Ballet; Bolshoi Theatre of Russia; English National Ballet; Hamburg Ballet; Karlsruhe Ballet; Mariinsky Theatre; Munich Ballet; Netherlands National Ballet; New York City Ballet; Paris Opera Ballet; Stuttgart Ballet; Susanna Leinonen Company (Finland).

NOMINEES OF BENOIS DE LA DANSE-2010

CHOREOGRAPHERS:

DAVID DAWSON — FAUN(E), C. Debussy, English National Ballet.

TERENCE KOHLER — 11:11, L. Auerbach, Royal Ballet of Flanders.

SUSANNA LEINONEN — AND THE LINE BEGINS TO BLUR, K. Laine, Susanna Leinonen Company (Finland).

ALEXEY RATMANSKY — WALTZ-FANTAZY, M. Glinka, for Mikhail Baryshnikov's Three Solos and Duet.

BENJAMIN MILLEPIED — ANIMA, J. -S. Bach, J. Taride, Benjamin Millepied Danses Concertantes, Dance Festival in Cannes (France).

CHRISTOPHER WHEELDON — SWAN LAKE (New version), P. Tchaikovsky, Karlsruhe Ballet (Germany).

BALLERINAS:

МARIA ALEXANDROVA — Nikia in La Bayadère, L. Minkus/M. Petipa, (Y. Grigorovitch production); Title role in Esmeralda, C. Pugni/M. Petipa, (staging and new choreographic version by Y. Burlaka and V. Medvedev), Bolshoi Ballet.

HÉLÈNE BOUCHET — Euridike in Orpheus, I. Stravinsky/J. Neumeier, Hamburg Ballet.

ISABELLA BOYLSTON — Everything Doesn't Happen At Once, D. Lang/B. Millepied, American Ballet Theatre.

ISABELLE CIARAVOLA — The title role in Giselle, A. Adam/J. Coralli, J. Perrot (staged by P. Bart, E. Poliakov) Paris Opera Ballet.

YEVGENYA OBRAZTSOVA — Suimbike in Shurale, F. Yarullin/L. Yakobson, Mariinsky Theatre.

ANU VIHERIÄRANTA — Duet in Tryst, J. McMillan/Ch. Wheeldon, Het National Ballet.

DANCERS:

ESTEBAN BERLANGA — Faun(e), C. Debussy/D. Dawson, English National Ballet.

THIAGO BORDIN — Arman Duval in Lady of the Camellias, F. Chopin/J/Neumeier, Hamburg Ballet.

STEPHANE BULLION — Albrecht in Giselle, A. Adam/J. Coralli, J. Perrot (staged by P. Bart, E. Poliakov), Paris Opera Ballet.

DAVID HALLBERG — Count Albrecht in Giselle, A. Adam/J. Coralli, J. Perrot (staged by K. McKenzie) American Ballet Theatre.

MICHAIL LOBUKHIN — Ali-Batyr in Shurale, F. Yarullin/L. Yakobson, Mariinsky Theatre.

FRIEDEMANN VÖGEL — Solor in La Bayadere, L. Minkus/N. Makarova after M. Petipa, Finnish National Ballet.

MARIAN WALTER — Prince Desiré in The Sleeping Beauty, P. Tchaikovski/V. Malakhov after M. Petipa, Berlin State Ballet.

Jury 2010 consists of :

Yuri Grigorovich- Chairman of the Jury

Kenneth Greve- Artistic director of the Finnish National Ballet

Michaël Denard- Leading professeur of the Paris Opera Ballet

Wayne Igling- Artistic director of the English National Ballet

Birgit Keil- Director of Manheim Dance Academy, Artistic director of Carlsruhe Ballet ( Germany)

Uliana Lopatkina- Prima-ballerina of the Mariinski Theatre (St. Petersburg)

Linda Shelton- the Executive director of Joyce & Joyce So-Ho theatre (New-York)

Heinz Spoerli — Artistic director of the Zurich Ballet

Tickets and booking information:

• Bolshoi theatre, tel. 250-73-17, http://www.bolshoi.ru;

http://www.parter.ru, tel. 258-00-00;

http://www.kontramarka.ru, tel. 933-32-00;

• Rossiysky Molodyojny Theatre (Teatralnaya pl., 2), tel. 692-65-72;à

• Centre BENOIS, tel.916 — 106 0414 ;

• The theatre box-offices throughout Moscow.

The results have been posted. John Neumeier’s Hamburg Ballet dominated this year’s “Oscars of Ballet.”

http://benois.theatre.ru/english/history/2010/

The 2010 Benois de la Danse recipients are:

Helene Bouchet, Hamburg Ballet, "Best Ballerina" for Euridike in "Orpheus," music by Stravinsky, choreography by

J. Neumeier.

Thiago Bordin, Hamburg Ballet, "Best Danseur" for Arman Duval in "Lady of the Camellias," music by Chopin, choreography by

J. Neumeier.

Congratulations to the winners and to all the nominees and participants :):)!

But... if I’m not wrong :) there are two male dancers winning this year, the second being David Hallberg!

Does anyone know who won as best choreographer?

Congratulations to all winners and also, of course, to all the nominees!!

If one scrolls down to the bottom of the page in the link above, one can see that Mr. Hallberg also won the Benois for the male dancer. Maybe there was a tie! The other prizes have not been added to the website. Congratulations to all nominees and laureate winners. It such an honor to have been included on the list. :clapping:

If one scrolls down to the bottom of the page in the link above, one can see that Mr. Hallberg also won the Benois for the male dancer.

Ah, but David's name was not there when I posted! I thought it odd that he tweeted that he had won, yet the Benois website did not show his name. Only two were on the list last night - Hélène Bouchet's and Thiago Bordin's.

Wonderful that David Hallberg tied with Bordin!

The article about the Benois Prize (see links) mentioned that the prize for choreography was not awarded.

If one scrolls down to the bottom of the page in the link above, one can see that Mr. Hallberg also won the Benois for the male dancer.

Ah, but David's name was not there when I posted! I thought it odd that he tweeted that he had won, yet the Benois website did not show his name. Only two were on the list last night - Hélène Bouchet's and Thiago Bordin's.

Wonderful that David Hallberg tied with Bordin!

The article about the Benois Prize (see links) mentioned that the prize for choreography was not awarded.

Do you know how the nominations work? And how about the decisions? Benois de la danse is a bit of a mystery to me.

Why didn't they award the best choreographer nobody was good enough or they were all too good? What do you think?

Do you know how the nominations work? And how about the decisions? Benois de la danse is a bit of a mystery to me.

I've been trying and trying to get to my post from a few years ago where I explained in detail how the Benois nominations work, but the site is not letting me see my own posts nor is it responding in "search" mode either. I tried to manually find the topic by scrolling through appropriate categories, but had no luck finding the previous Benois thread. Sorry!

Thank you for your effort i was just wondering who nominates and how the decisions are made i guess i have to do my own research.

It's a really highly regarded award like 'Oscar for dance' many say. I post it here once i find some info

As described on its own website, it's rather similar to many juried shows in both performing and fine arts. A jury decides which works are to be presented, then when they are seen as an entire exhibition, the jury decides which is most deserving of a prize. If no work meets the standards of the jury for any given award, no award in that category is made. It is therefore theoretically possible to have an exhibition with no winners!

I found it!

"Search" is still not responding, but scrolling through my own posts worked today, so I started at the beginning and perused page after page until I found:

Benois de la Danse - explanation of how it works

More explanation from the same thread

Thank you very much for your answer this was more information than i hoped for!

I still have my doubts about this prize cause fine in the movie industry you are watching a movie but with dance it's not the same to see a videotape of somebody dancing or see the live performance.

As well is the jury reviewing the full performance or just excerpts?

Anyhow dance is an art form so hard to judge. Do you know who decides about the years members of the jury? Cause seems like it determines the the nominees and the outcome.

I would love to see an award that has a mixed jury of audience and professionals is there any? That in my opinion would give a more balanced decision.

Thank you again

I still have my doubts about this prize cause fine in the movie industry you are watching a movie but with dance it's not the same to see a videotape of somebody dancing or see the live performance.

As well is the jury reviewing the full performance or just excerpts?

Anyhow dance is an art form so hard to judge. Do you know who decides about the years members of the jury? Cause seems like it determines the the nominees and the outcome.

I would love to see an award that has a mixed jury of audience and professionals is there any? That in my opinion would give a more balanced decision.

Thank you again

I can understand your doubts, smokeyjoe. Two years ago Kirk Peterson was nominated for his ballet Othello. I can't imagine that any of the jury members actually traveled to Calgary or Edmonton to see it, but I did have the misfortune of sitting through it, and the ballet was perfectly dreadful, a complete waste of time and space. I can't see Alberta Ballet reviving it, no matter how much was spent on the production. Of course the ballet didn't win the prize, but I was absolutely astonished that it was nominated in the first place, and I have to admit that its inclusion pretty much exploded any idea I may have had about this prize being some sort of ballet "Oscar."