This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hello. I am writing a paper on Balanchine's choreography in the period after he returned from taking care of LeClerq, who became ill with polio. Some have said that the manipulation of the woman in the adagio was inspired by the manipulation he learned to do for LeClerq in her rehabilitation and therapy. Any thoughts or insight into this? Thank you all so much for your help!!!!

Welcome to BallletTalk, la di da da.

We do not permit the use of the forum for academic assignments (noting the usual questions of veracity of the internet), but I have no problem citing atm711's reference to Robert Garis' Following Balanchine here.

Good luck!

Think about the incredible juxtaposition between the four ballets done in the Winter Season of November 1957 to February 1958: Agon, Square Dance, Stars and Stripes and Gounod Symphony.

In addition to that very interesting thread about Agon, you would do well to refer to Repertory in Review.

I personally would love to see the results of your research! Good luck.

Welcome to BallletTalk, la di da da.

We do not permit the use of the forum for academic assignments (noting the usual questions of veracity of the internet), but I have no problem citing atm711's reference to Robert Garis' Following Balanchine here.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! That is very helpful and much appreciated. (And noted - I will not use the forum for assignments in the future, apologies and thanks for the heads up.)

Think about the incredible juxtaposition between the four ballets done in the Winter Season of November 1957 to February 1958: Agon, Square Dance, Stars and Stripes and Gounod Symphony.

In addition to that very interesting thread about Agon, you would do well to refer to Repertory in Review.

I personally would love to see the results of your research! Good luck.

Thanks so much!!! There is an incredible juxtaposition and diversity of ideas among those four ballets, especially considering the short period of time in which they were all created. It is as if Balanchine couldn't get his different visions out fast enough after the year away from the company. Prioritizing the music and aesthetics, it makes sense that Balanchine would have drawn on different sources for each of the different ballets, and the motifs are indeed quite different. Agon definitely stands out among the four for its dynamic of passivity on behalf of the female, and manipulation of her body by the man. Comparisons will be a good way to illuminate the novelty of what happens in the Agon pas. I have also been looking at Polio therapy exercises, and I will point out that the motif of this manipulation that is seen with Agon continues in Bugaku and Episodes. And I really appreciate the Repertory in Review suggestion - definitely going to get on that! Thank you so much for the luck and suggestions, and would love to share the results... Will report back soon :dry: