This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fall 2010 season

The Spring 2010 print NYCB NEWS, which arrived in today's U.S. Mail, has a little more information about the new fall season. It will be September 14-October 10, with a gala on Thursday, October 7. Subscriptions will be available in June, with single tickets available in August.

Ballets for the programs include Serenade, Concerto Barocco, and Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet, along with unnamed works by Robbins and Martins, as well as some unnamed works from the spring season Architecture of Dance. Photos with the story about fall include Glass Pieces, Fearful Symmetries, Serenade, Barber Violin Concerto, and The Four Seasons., so perhaps we can hope they will be on the program (especially Glass Pieces!).

I don't see any of this information on the NYCB web site yet.

The fall schedule can now be viewed (month by month) in the Calendar section of the NYCB website. During the period September 13th through October 6th, they have performances Tuesday-Saturday evenings, and also matinees on Saturdays at 2 and Sundays at 3.

They have not yet posted schedules for Nutcracker or the winter season.

(Earlier information had indicated that the season will run through October 10th, so the calendar may still be in progress.)

The entire fall, winter, and spring schedules for the coming year are available in PDF format: http://www.nycballet.com/tickets/2011/renewals.html

"Call me Ben" returns for the Winter season??!! Why??!! :(:angry2::crying::o

Probably because it cost a ton of money (scenery + costumes). Martins should just cut his losses now and dump this ballet entirely, no matter what it cost. At least when McKenzie at ABT has a major dud on his hands (Pied Piper, HereAfter, Anastasia, Citizen) it never sees the light of day again on the stage in subsequent seasons.

I am so glad with the fall season that the ballet seasons get to spread out more evenly through out the year. There used to a long stretch of time with no ballet performance at all, now the only ballet-free months are August, March & April. I wish NYCB could start the spring season in mid April, so there's less overlap with ABT Met season.

Is the fall season going to be a temporary arragnement? I understand the fall season is possible because City Opera had to cut short its seasons due to its financial situation. Once NYCO gets back on its feet, are they going to reverse back to the original arrangement? I hope NYCB and NYCO will work out a deal to make the fall season permanent (if it's not already is), may be NYCO can have a shorter fall season starting in mid October thru late November, a spring season in March & April and a summer season starting in mid June.

I agree with abatt that NYCB should just cut its losses, there's no point of throwing valuable rehearsal and stage times at a dud.

I think it's been NYCB policy for years, at least since the Lincoln Center years, to program a new ballet at least once more in the next season, unless the work was part of a big festival.

Does anyone know if "Tricolore" and "PAMTGG" were given (at least) a second run?

I think it's been NYCB policy for years, at least since the Lincoln Center years, to program a new ballet at least once more in the next season, unless the work was part of a big festival.
Or even a small festival, as this is.
Does anyone know if "Tricolore" and "PAMTGG" were given (at least) a second run?
Can't say for PAMTGG, but Tricolore was dumped after season 1. I never saw it. Most festival ballets never see a second season. A rare few (Robbins' Andantino, Dove's Red Angels) seem to be dropped after their premiere season but eventually reappear, years later. Those always surprise me.

I wonder whether the flops that reappear do so because their choreographers were guaranteed a certain number of performances.

The season finally begins next week and I can't wait!!!

Casting for the first 2 weeks is up and it looks like this season could be subtitled "The return of Janie Taylor". She finally gets to debut in the work Millipied created on her last season, and also makes debuts (NYC debuts, at the very least) in Serenade (on opening night), Stravinsky Violin Concerto and Opus 19.

Let's just hope she makes it through the season without injury.

Here's a link to the casting:

http://www.nycballet.com/casting/casting.html

Merde to Janie and all the rest of the NYCB dancers!!!!