This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Architecture of Dance" and NYCB -- A NY Times Talk

One of the NYCB projects that sounds intriguing is an upcoming Times Talk program featuring Peter Martins and the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava, Calatrava is a structural engineer and sculptor as well as an architect. So it seems that he will have much to bring to a discussion of ballet: the creation of forms in 3 dimensional space and the physics as well. I was interested to learn that one of his most noted projects is a 54-story tower in Malmo, Sweden, called the Turning Torso.

The presentation is described here, but you have to scroll down:

http://nytimes.whsites.net/talk/index.php

Here's a look at the Turning Torso: http://www.arkinetia.com/_recursos/Articul...-IMG001_r68.jpg

Thursday | May 6, 2010

6:30 PM - 8:00 PM

The Architecture of Dance

Peter Martins and Santiago Calatrava

New York City Ballet Master in Chief Peter Martins and internationally acclaimed architect, Santiago Calatrava discuss their collaboration on the New York City Ballet's Architecture of Dance festival, honoring the 50th anniversary of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts. The festival this spring features seven world premiere ballets, five of which have scenic designs by Mr. Calatrava, marking the first time that he has created theatrical designs. Interviewed by New York Times culture reporter Robin Pogrebin.

Tickets: $30

Anyone going? It would be fascinating to read what people think.

One of the NYCB projects that sounds intriguing is the upcoming NY Times Talk featuring Peter Martins and the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava, Calatrava is a structural engineer and sculptor as well as an architect. So it seems that he will have much to bring to a discussion of ballet: the creation of forms in 3 dimensional space and the physics as well. I was intrigued to learn that one of his most noted projects is a 54-story tower -- the Turning Torso -- in Malmo, Sweden.

Thank you Bart for the information.

I wonder if his designs will be as controversial as some of his bridges?