This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Indiana Ballet / Russian Ballet Academy to close

Yari

Here's hoping the proposed Indianapolis City Ballet works out... But just a few years after Ballet Internationale folded, the city finds itself without a ballet company. I wouldn't call Indianapolis cursed, but the audience for dance needs to be developed.

http://www.ibj.com/local-ballet-company-fo...S/article/19075

"A professional ballet company that formed in the wake of Ballet Internationale's collapse has closed its own doors. Indiana Ballet Co. and its affiliated Russian Ballet Academy of Indiana informed its supporters and students in a letter dated March 31 that the combined organization would fold immediately."

I got very excited when Indianapolis City Ballet was announced but the gala was over 6 months ago and so far no other performances have been announced. You go to their web site and you get no additional information. Is this an actual performing company?

I really wish Anne Bass would come along and adopt me so I could fund a top notch professional ballet company in Indiana. I'm having delusions of Lucia Chase grandeur. :)

Here's hoping the proposed Indianapolis City Ballet works out... But just a few years after Ballet Internationale folded, the city finds itself without a ballet company. I wouldn't call Indianapolis cursed, but the audience for dance needs to be developed.

http://www.ibj.com/local-ballet-company-fo...S/article/19075

"A professional ballet company that formed in the wake of Ballet Internationale's collapse has closed its own doors. Indiana Ballet Co. and its affiliated Russian Ballet Academy of Indiana informed its supporters and students in a letter dated March 31 that the combined organization would fold immediately."

Actually, board told the parents and kids on April Fool's Day, and we all wondered if it was a joke at first. We got a second letter from academy staff the next day.

And the dedicated teachers who had formed IBC/RBAI out of concern for their students rallied and have done it again. One of the board members who had not voted for closure is organizing to start a new school, with company to be added as it can be funded, unlike Indiana Ballet Company, which was formed immediately without funding. This is one of the decisions that ultimately led to its demise.

Interim classes with the same teachers (who were also IBC dancers and directors) in a new location began last night. The school had done very well at YAGP each year of its existance, including this one; and students will compete at Orlando next month, the school's first time there. It was emotional last night, and for some of the families this was the second time. We're all hopeful that starting on a more secure financial foot will allow this new, reformulated school and eventual company to be sustainable.

As far as Indianapolis City Ballet goes, they're not resident. They do, however, bring in excellent people for Master Classes, which a few of our kids have attended. Because our teachers are Vaganova-certified and do the true Vaganova syllabus, missing a Saturday to do a Master Class can mean missing out on important things in the syllabus that must then be learned separately, so it's not in place of for our students but in addition to. But still worth it. I hope Indianapolis City Ballet had enough success this year to do another program and definitely a slate of master classes this year.