This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB to be renamed New York CitiBallet in exchange for a $200M do

According to the today's New York Ledger, a deal is being finalized between NYCB and Citigroup for a $200 million endowment donation to be paid over 10 years at $20 million per year. In exchange NYCB will be renamed New York CitiBallet effective August 1, 2011.

Is Citigroup in a position to make this kind of commitment? Didn’t it receive Federal bailout money not long ago? I don’t understand.

There must be a mistake. The version I heard was that the name change was to be to New York Cindi Ballet, in honor of Citigroup CEO Vikram Pandit's beloved lhasa apso Cindi. The amount was actually $200 billion, which comes to approximately 10% of the Citigroup upper-level executive compensation package for 2009.

My joke was pretty lame. There're some hilarious April's fool ballet jokes in another ballet forum site, like Royal Ballet's going to stage SB on ice at the ROH; a long lost Giselle 3rd act was discovered at, of all places, Univ. of Montana; and new EU safety rules to limit the number of pouettés and to require dancers to wear hard hats during performances. Even funnier were people's reactions, they fell for the jokes, their posts were pure gold, ROFL funny. I wish I could post the links to the jokes but I understand posting links to another ballet forums is forbidden here.

Now, Ballet Talk for Dancers may be all right, but any transient readers should be warned: The Gossip Rule is even stricter there, and the most inside information you're likely to get is the 14-year-old from Peoria who's having trouble with bourrées. Now that's REALLY TMI! The site is really for students and their significant mothers and others really close to them (who can send them to Summer Intensives and such).