This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jiri Kylian or William Forsythe?

Guest Azza_4eva

Guest Azza_4eva

Hi! I'm working on a dance research project. I have the choice between writing about Jiri Kylian or William Forsythe - particularly their choreographic styles. So I thought I'd ask the friendly voices of BalletTalk for some help. Suggestions, information, websites, books... anything would be most welcome.

Thanking you in advance...Andrea

Andrea, first, run a search on something like Google or AltaVista or Excite -- or run several -- and see what you turn up. I don't think there are books on either Kylian or Forsythe yet, at least not in English (I may well be wrong about this). If your library has Ballett International, a bilingual English-German magazine, you'll find a lot of information about both choreographers over the years -- features and reviews. (Also, the best bet for a research paper is to ask your research librarian at your local or school library.)

There have also been articles over the years on both choreographers in Ballet Review, Dance Now and (to a lesser extent) Dance Magazine.

Also check the appropriate company web sites -- Frankfurt Ballet for Forsythe and Nederlands Dance Theatre for Kylian. (For the urls, go to www.balletcompanies.com )

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Others?

hello azza,

there is a book called Fifty Contemporary Choreographersby Martha Bremser. It gives about four to five pages on information on both choreographers. In addition it lists additional interviews and articles involving both of them. I've found this book to be a great reference tool and am constantly looking to it. This book focuses not only on their history but specifically their styles and methods.

Guest Azza_4eva

Thanks for your advice - my local library is very weak in terms of ballet information... apart from the stories of ballet for little kids. I'll definately look up those resources. Thank you for your help and if anyone else has any further suggestions then they'd be most welcome.

Guest Azza_4eva

Hi! Just thought I'd give you wonderful people who helped me out a quick update - I ended up doing Jiri Kylian... it was fascinating and I scored an A+

So, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Hugs and kisses all round! =)