This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

According to Wikipedia, the Joffrey "Rite of Spring" was performed on PBS in 1990:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rite_of_Spring

They did, on the Dance in America series. It included interviews with Millicent Hodson talking about her process retrieving information about the work and the process of recreating it on the Joffrey company.

Dance in America also ran a program about the Joffrey that included a performance of Petrushka with Nureyev as you know who. That was back in the 70s, if I remember correctly.

I imagine that this may be either the Paris Opera Ballet or the Maryinsky, who both perform the Hodson reconstruction of Sacre and have Petrushka in their reps. Let's see what we can find out...

VAI isn't the Mariinsky publisher of choice, and I think the Mariinsky DVD is expected to be released with "Firebird".

There is a Paris Opera Ballet VHS dated 1990 called "Paris Dances Diaghilev", but that consisted of:

Stravinsky: Petrushka (choreography - Fokine; dancers - Loudières, Mogne, Guizerix)

Weber: La spectre de la rose (Fokine; de Vulpian, Legris)

Debussy: Prélude l'après-midi d'un faune (Nijinsky; Jude, Pietragalla)

Stravinsky: Les noces (Nijinska; Platel, Belarbi, Legrée, Lormeau)

There's nothing on the VAI website, either, and this DVD is listed on amazon.com for a 13 Apr 10 release date, which less than a month away.

According to Wikipedia, the Joffrey "Rite of Spring" was performed on PBS in 1990:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rite_of_Spring

They did, on the Dance in America series. It included interviews with Millicent Hodson talking about her process retrieving information about the work and the process of recreating it on the Joffrey company.

I imagine that this may be either the Paris Opera Ballet or the Maryinsky, who both perform the Hodson reconstruction of Sacre and have Petrushka in their reps. Let's see what we can find out...

According to what i saw online, POB didn't start doing the reconstruction til 1991, so if the date is correct, it is not them.

Also there is apparently a DVD of the Maryinsky doing Rite of Spring, but paired not with Petruska, but with Firebird (with Big Red!) on Bel Air Classics.

So a much more recent recording. http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album....album_id=226668

I am therefore still thinking that this must be the Joffrey recording since they did perform and record it in 1990...

We (Joffrey) recorded Sacre at DaneRadio in Aarhus, 1987 or 88, just before I left the company. Mr. Joffrey had already passed.

Petrouchka with Nureyev was filmed many years earlier (I don't remember the year but it would have been the early 80s) in Nashville at the Grand Ole Opry film studios. Mr. Joffrey was very much in charge of that one artistically.

Well, not what we had speculated, but another version of Sacre to add to the list. (from the people at VAI)

4516 PETRUSHKA / THE RITE OF SPRING (Stravinsky) Two twentieth-century ballet masterpieces performed by major Russian ballet troupes. Petrushka is a live 1992 performance by the Bolshoi Ballet, with choreography based on the original Fokine. The Rite of Spring is a filmed 1990 studio production by the Moscow Classical Ballet starring Ilgiz Galimullin and Valeria Tsoi. 76 minutes, Color, $34.95.

PETRUSHKA

Music by Igor Stravinsky

Choreography by Mikhail Fokine

Orchestra of the Bolshoi Theatre

Pavel Sorokin, conductor

Petrushka: Irek Mukhamedov

The Ballerina: Ludmila Semenyaka

The Moor: Vyacheslav Elagin

The Charlatan: Yuri Vetrov

Production of the Bolshoi Ballet

Live Performance, 1992

THE RITE OF SPRING (Le sacre du printemps)

Music by Igor Stravinsky

Scenario and Choreography by Natalia Kasatkina and Vladimir Vasilev

Leader: Ilgiz Galimullin

The Chosen One: Valeria Tsoy

The Dark Spirit: Vera Timashova

The Wise Elder: Sergei Vanaev

Moscow Classical Ballet

Produced for Russian Television, 1990

Indeed. I still wish it were the Hodson reconstruction in the Joffrey production, but I have a very soft spot for Sacre and always want to see what different choreographers have done with it.

Sorry, this is off topic I guess, but since the subject came up... It's funny, I can't find a reference to it on Ballet Talk, but I'm sure it must have gotten discussed--a new DVD of Millicent Hodson's reconstruction of Rite of Spring came out last year, with the Mariinsky Ballet (Gergiev conducts). You can buy it here.

Is this a cut down version of the film that toured the art house circuit last year

here? This is a triple bill with Sacre, Firebird and Noces, and I can't see why they would cut Noces, but I'm not an objective judge...

If it is indeed from the same film, I can't say this is my favorite performance of the Hodson reconstruction (not to mention the overhead camera angles!)

But Sacre is hard enough to find without quibbling.

Well, not what we had speculated, but another version of Sacre to add to the list. (from the people at VAI)

4516 PETRUSHKA / THE RITE OF SPRING (Stravinsky) Two twentieth-century ballet masterpieces performed by major Russian ballet troupes. Petrushka is a live 1992 performance by the Bolshoi Ballet, with choreography based on the original Fokine. The Rite of Spring is a filmed 1990 studio production by the Moscow Classical Ballet starring Ilgiz Galimullin and Valeria Tsoi. 76 minutes, Color, $34.95.

The choreographers of Rite are Natalia Kasatkina and Vladimir Vasiliov.