This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The documentary, "Rudolf Nureyev - l'attraction Celeste," aired on French tv in January, 2009, will be available on DVD. In the United States, the release date is 4/27/10, according to Amazon.com; and in England on 3/29/10, according to Amazon.co.uk and Europadisc.co.uk.

Friends and colleagues of Rudi will appear; i.e., Charles Jude, Patrice Bart, Ghislane Thesmar, etc. It will be in French, with subtitles.

One concern is the back of the cover mentions "re-enactments".

There aren't any "re-enactments" as far as I can remember. It's a combination of old footage, interviews and what could be described as stock footage: a train station in Siberia, a boat floating along the Neva, a Parisian airport, London buses, New York taxis, and that sort of thing. As a matter of fact, I don't remember anyone from New York being interviewed, which makes me wonder whether the filmmakers were there at all.

The DVD is very good, although there wasn't enough footage of Rudi, but it was upbeat and complimentary (with just a few discrepancies). It was great seeing Karen Kain and Charles Jude again. And the best surprise for me - film clips of Rudi dancing La Bayadere with the Kirov - wonderful!

The DVD was in English, which surprised me as I thought it would be subtitles.